What's new

Why is it Called "Black Friday"? (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
OK, my curiosity has made me ask what may be a stupid question. . .why is the day after Thanksgiving called "Black Friday"? I keep seeing posts about "Black Friday" sales.

After pondering over it, the only reasoning I came up with is that it is the biggest shopping day of the year. Meaning profits, meaning in the "black".

Now, if it has some historical significance, I'll feel very :b

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
It's mostly called Black Friday for the poor souls that work retail. It's a nightmare due to the insane number of customers and with everyone fighting for parking spots, items on shelves etc...

I worked p/t for Best Buy last year at this time. Absolutely unbelievable.

It's a good day for the consumer because of all the sales and great deals but a very BAD day for the people working it, hence Black Friday.

Jeff

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thanks, Jeff! :)
I can barely stand being a shopper in that mess, so I can imagine what it must be like for the workers!

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Why is it such a big shopping day?
(Odd, incidentally, as the term 'black' applied to a day always seems to refer to stockmarket crashes from what i remember. ;) )

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Elizabeth is correct...if a retail business is NOT in the black after that day or weekend...then the year for them is at a loss. But, it has also come to mean the misery of working AND shopping the day after Thanksgiving.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, basically working on such a chaotic day can't be fun for the worker-bees, and it's not fun for the shoppers who have to wait in line for long stretches of time, and getting minimal help due to the lack of enough worker-bees.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Having worked in Electronics Sales years ago ... I must say that Black Friday is HELL ... long 12-14 hour day .. but you could easily make $1000 in comissions!!!!

Not much selling was involved ... just customers walking in and saying "GIMME this ... GIMME that"

Absolute Hell ... Thank God I don't work in retail any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks