What's new

Why is IFC Showing an Edited Version of "A Nightmare on Elm Street" (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I was flipping through channels and a saw ANOES on IFC. But, it is a television version. I thought they did unedited versions of films. I thought they letterboxed as well.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
It always puzzles me as to why movies(especially ones that are full of heavy content) are played on cable, when they just have to edit them down alot

Like they play Bachelor Party and Goodfellas.

but whats the point, after all the bad stuff is gone, there's hardly any movie left.

So if they are going to play NOES, and edit it, whats the point.

But I do know that FCC is starting it's rants on paid cable stations.

so if NOES is edited, it could be the voice of the FCC.

But that is just my opinion.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
I'm afraid it might be the curse of AMC... AMC and IFC are owned by the same company... they started out small ruining AMC little by little, maybe this is the start of ruining IFC...

God, I hope I'm wrong...

Bill S.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
IFC's been steadily showing pan & scan versions of many films, and commercials supposedly are starting there too.

It's a shame. The one station meant for quality independent films, and they're butchering them as well...

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well another channel ruined, alledgedy.

How long before TCM goes Pan and Scan, edited and commercials?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
IFC Canada has been showing most movies in P&S and they've always had commercials playing (1 commercial every 30 minutes it seems).

I can understand why they add commercials, but to alter the film goes against their target audience - film lovers.

Independant and foreign films aren't going to be watched by the general public and soccer-moms - so theirs little point in showing films in P&S.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I noticed it when they showed Johnny Depp's death scene. It was definitely less bloodier than the original version.

This is definitely a head scratcher.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I never could understand why movies or shows are edited on cable to begin with?

It's a pay service.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I don't know if cable channels are regulated by the FCC, but showing objectionable material is certainly grounds to lose advertisers. Money talks.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm hoping IFC doesn't go the way of AMC, which before I stopped watching, was reduced to airing pan & scan, edited, and commercial filled versions of Friday the 13th Part 3 and Predator 2.

The editing of A Nightmare on Elm Street does strike me as a bad omen. IFC usually airs their films unedited and basically commercial free like the usual pay-cable channels.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Now come on! AMC isn't all bad, they did recently, proudly present "Jaws, The Revenge"

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
Nightmare on Elm Street has NO BUSINESS being on IFC, it's a mainstream film. IF IFC goes the way of AMC I will puke.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Jay,

Nightmare on Elm Street did not start off as a mainstream film. It just happened. It started off in only a few theaters (just over 100) and then just sort of built itself. It was an independent film that no company would really fund (Paramount for example turned it down) so the creators just made it and released it on their own. It turned into a huge success and it's legs were just insane. I think it made like 20 something times it's opening weekend which is just amazing even for then when legs were much better than now. Didnt start that way. It was very much an Independent project.

It's what started New Line as a company. The Ninja Turtles built them up after that. Lord of the Rings turned of course made them ultra rich after that.

Like Halloween, I would consider it an Independent film.

Now, if they were showing Nightmare on Elm Street 2 or Halloween 6 for example, I could understand. None of the sequels were independent projects because they all had some form of studio funding.

I knew American Movie Classics went down the gutter the day Halloween 5 aired.

Is Halloween 5 below average? Yes. Is it the worst movie ever? No. Not with Full Moon studios around. Is it an American Movie Classic? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks