What's new

Why is Fred Durst such a hated Man? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood this. His music isn't that bad. I actually like some of it. It isn't great, but then 99% of bans aren't. So why is he so hated? I've heard the title 'The World's Most Hated Band' used so often in connection with Limp Bizket. Why?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
"Limp Bizkit isn't great" is an understatement in my opinion... they suck. :)
They feel insincere, they are unoriginal, they have no "groove", everything feels very manufactured and bandwaggonish, the lyrics are just a bunch of sophomoric whining.
Plus, Fred Durst is more of a businessman than a singer these days, doesn't exactly project the kind of "rebellion" he tries to convey in the lyrics.
In short, they're fake and untalented. :)
/Mike

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Ol' Fred just comes off cocky and arrogant in every interview or sound bite I have ever seen. Unfortunately, I don't think he has the talent to back it up. He and Bono have a lot in common that way. :)

DougB

Agent
I like Freds music. I think he has talent, I just don't like what he started doing with "rock" music. how often before him did you hear about rock musicians getting into it in the media? It reminds me of 2 pac and Biggie. Durst has been into it with Trent Reznor, and Scott Stapp. Both (I feel) are far superior musicians to him.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can't stand Stapp & Creed. Credit given to Stapp for being a good singer and very good writer, but I am sooo tired of their sound. Everything is formula after the first album, and they are just trying to do more of the same because many people are easily taken in by this. At least Bizkit is original.

I don't see anything wrong with Durst. I think he's just stirring up controversy, just like Eminem did, just like Madonna did - it sells albums.

I enjoy the last two Bizkit albums, both are fun, though sophmoric, but that is the POINT, IMO. If you are trying to make it out to be something done for any reason other than entertainment (and to make money, which ALL mainstream musicians are doing), then you are looking too hard.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Limp Bizkit unwittingly became representatives for what's wrong with popular music today. No doubt there is talent there.. Durst has tapped into a vein that many young kids can relate to; his vocal delivery, athough derivative, is effective and shows talent. He is also obviously charismatic and a successful businessman.
When Wes Borland left the band, Bizkit decided to hold country-wide auditions at select Guitar Center locations. What a tacky stunt. :rolleyes: Durst's take on this?
"People who are auditioning are asked to sign a release so their images and likenesses can be used in any documentary that Limp Bizkit would like to make."
"In no way whatsoever would Limp Bizkit ever steal or take anything (music, riffs) from anyone on this planet!!"
"***k you haters. Better yourself (a little advice). To everyone else, I can't wait to get back online and into the chat. Things are looking very positive for Limp Bizkit - you'll be proud and surprised at what's coming your way."
"Oh yeah... one more thing...f*ck you again haters."

He sounds like an overgrown toddler.
I can't imagine being over 16 and liking this guy.
-J
p.s. John, you definitely have a point. It is asking too much to look for style, substance, maturity and integrity from mainstream musicians. It's all about the money. (By the way, I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am just sad about the long-standing truths of the music industry.)

DougB

Agent
I don't think Bizkit is that original. They took the "formula" of what Korn did on Follow the leader and made that "their" sound. they haven't really deviated from it since so it is identified with them. And I don't think anyone else does it better. I too like the last two albums from them.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I think that music should be added to the list of things not allowed to be discussed on the HTF :)
I like Limp Bizkit for what it is...fun music with a good beat and a lot of energy. They have a good stage presence and I have seen them put on a great show. So what if it's commercial...almost everything is commercial.
JasonP - As for Bono and U2, we will have to agree to disagree. Bono seems cocky, but the whole band is very humble about their music and certainly their music videos. I think the band is amazing...certainly one of my favorites. Bono cares about a lot more then music and he has never been afraid of putting his own money behind his views and beliefs. I respect that.
Thanks,
Jeff

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
His highly manufactured band professes a stance of rebellion and anger which teens latch onto. It's all carefully crafted to attract the teen element. He is a hypocrite, since neither he, nor his organization aound him, nor his record label, actually believe in the emotions they play on. I bet he used sample groups to refine his lyrics, attitude, look, etc etc etc.

Slipknot outted him. Too bad they're such wankers too.

Martin.

Craig_T

Second Unit
Limp Bizkit's "music" is just godawful crap. Durst's talents involve gluing that red ballcap onto his head and screaming his braindead lyrics to all his fellow trend-following MTV zombies. I *HATE* this band and everything they represent. Bono my be a pompous windbag, but at least he fronts a real band, is sincere, and doesn't write moronic garbage like "nookie."

It's all about the nookie...

So you can take that cookie...

And stick it up your ass!

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I didn't mean to turn this into a Bono™ thread. I was just looking for a good example of someone who was cocky and arrogant.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was funny, when last year Spin pointed out how many photos in the LB CD were "hangin out" pics featuring various "industry" people and known "cling-on" celebrity types (Pauly Shore, Kato Kalin types).
Almost every pic inside the CD featured Durst with some media industry dickhead type-- radio programmers, big management people, corporate label heads-- basically the manipulators of the industry ("baby", "sweety" type hollywood tools). Wanna know why the music industry is watered down and stagnent- look inside the LB CD and you can see each and every one the people responsible-- hangin with Fred.
Fred is essentially a bloated wannabe-industry clown. From day one he has slummed about the industry whoring to anyone who would listen how he wanted to be a "mogel". Their band is cartoonish to the point where I find it difficult to believe anyone takes them seriously-- and all the while sell themselves as "Edgy" when they are basically the textbook definition of the word tool.
Just look at the guy: reminds me of everyone's kid brother who tried to get attention of the older guys: "Hey guys, hey guys, hey guys... look at me, look at what I can do." He reminds me of the type of guy who would roll up into a Kmart with an entorage and throw some money around, just to get attention and remind himself he's semi-famous. A low rent moron reigning over a kingdom of preteens. A little man with a big mouth and no real skills to back up his ego-- I can't see why anyone dislikes him. :)
Before their first record hit, I saw them get booed off a stage in Cleveland, only to have Fred whine like a little girl and throw bottles of water at the hecklers. Rollins once said, in the era of Black Flag "When they want you to go home, don't, come back stronger and go right up their ass." Fred instead threw a tantrum and ran around the stage, posturing while safely behind security guards-- before leaving the stage in a huff.
At a time when the likes of Limp Bizkit are producing instantly disposable music designed expressly to satisfy the watered-down tastes of the masses, the role a group like Tool must play within the contemporary music hierarchy becomes even more important. Clearly, in 2001 Tool has emerged as leaders of the hard rock realm, a band capable of walking the fine line between New Metal ideals and "classic" metal appeal. They are a group that seemingly everyone, everywhere can relate to on a most visceral and compelling level.
"Making great music isn't about running around in limos and having your face plastered all over 'Entertainment Tonight'," Keenan said. "I think there was something of a
void created in music at a certain point in the late '90's when a lot of interesting, challenging bands seemed to take some time off. Because of that other bands managed to get
noticed-- for good or for bad. Most of that stuff wasn't very good, and it became popular mainly because there was a
demand out there that needed to be fed. Hopefully, with our help, bands that have a somewhat different way of doing
things-- and a different perspective on the world-- can start making an impact again. I think that's important."
Some bands are in it so they can do coke and hang out at the playboy mansion... some bands are in it because the feel it, inside. It's pretty easy to tell the difference-- it's just a question of if you care of not.
-Vince
NP: Skeleton Key: Fantastic Spikes Through Balloons

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Lets see... A no talent hack, singing songs somebody else wrote. I hate FD for all the reasons I hate Britney. At least i can look at her, Fred looks more like a dirt-ball. Must be the baggy jeans. Also limp bizkit is an uninspired, johnny-come-latley rap/metal band. Why did they become popular? Didn't Korn do that years ago? Reminds me of a funny story...

Family value tour, '98.. Korn headlines, But half the crowd leaves after the industrial band Rammstein finishes the set.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
the only real talent in that band was Wes Borland, I've always disliked their music, but noticed Wes's playing early on. I'm glad he left, and curious to see what he comes up with. I'm sure he was starting to feel silly, I mean their 30 screaming like 16 yo b#$%#'s. I think it's funny that Fred commented "Yeah, Wes was listening to alot of Radiohead..." Fred's a bit of a joke, if I may kindly say so.

StevenW

Second Unit
I found this pretty funny. Its an interview with Maynard from Tool about Fred Durst & Limp:

-----------------------------------------------------------

AA: I was reading something that Fred Durst said…

MJK: Why would you do that?

AA: (laughing) He said, “Tool is probably the best band on the

planet. There’s something wrong with those guys-they’re too good.”

MJK: Sounds like something a fuckin’ stoned kid at a fuckin’ monster

truck rally would say. Let’s talk about somebody else.

AA: There’s more…

MJK: It’s like getting an endorsement from the woman who serves jello

in the fuckin’ high school food line. It doesn’t mean anything.

Just ‘cause she won the lottery doesn’t mean you have to listen to

what she says.

AA: He also said, “They know something the rest of the world doesn’t

know.”

MJK: That’s not true, either. We don’t know anything that can’t be

learned. If we had some secret we’d certainly be fuckin’ millionaires

by now-and we’re not.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
This site, but in particular this interview and this interview discuss the 'Durst Factor' quite in depth. The whole site is worth a read, if you missed the Frontline special several months ago.
Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks