What's new

Why is flying in Canada such an ordeal? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I want to fly home for Christmas. I don't care what dates, but I'm going from Calgary to Kamloops return. Westjet is good and cheap but it only flies into Kelowna. Air Canada is darn expensive ($330 was the cheapest I was able to find) and none of the Tango, Jazz, Zip, or otherwise fly anywhere close to Kamloops. Will we ever have a decent solution for flight here in Canada? $330 is much better than the $600-some I remember it being in recent years, so it's better but still not good. Does Air Canada ever come out with seat sales? When should I be looking for a Christmas seat sale? I'm probably going December 20 - January 5, but am totally flexible.
ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :angry:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Why don't you rent a vehicle and drive to the 'loops yourself? Shouldn't take more than 90 minutes. :)
Air Canada sucks.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Paul, Air Canada has web specials and seat sales all the time. Look on their website.

As for flying being hard in Canada, it is a little more difficult than the US but try getting to some smaller cities in the US. Its not easy either.

Patrick

Cam S

Screenwriter
Paul, it wouldn't make much sense to fly to Kelowna unless you had a family member or friend to pick you up. I would suggest driving to Kamloops if you have a car. Though be wary of the roads, as they can be pretty bad through the rockies and Rogers Pass is always closed during the winter.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Why is flying in Canada such an ordeal?
I dunno, maybe interference from low-flying Canada geese?

Or more likely, it's because the town names are so hard to spell. "You want to go to Kelowna? How do you spell that? This may take a while. Wouldn't you rather go to L.A. instead?" It's all that labor cost.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
man those geese are no joke, smack a goose in a light airplane and it's bad times :frowning:

ChristopherS

Second Unit
When should I be looking for a Christmas seat sale? I'm probably going December 20 - January 5, but am totally flexible.
Most airlines do not have seat sales during their busiest time periods. Seat sales occur during slow downs (January 5th to February 10th).
Chris

Trevor H

Second Unit
Last month I had to go to Dawson Creek,
5:00 am - get up and drive from Allan to Saskatoon
7:00 am - plane (Westjet) takes off
8:00 am - land in Calgary
12:30 pm - take off after 4 1/2 hour layover
1:15 pm - land in Edmonton
2:00 pm - take off from Edmonton
2:50 pm - land in Grande Prairie
3:15 pm - pick up rental car and drive to Dawson Creek
4:30 pm - arive at Dawson Creek
So to "fly" from Allan to Dawson Creek it took a total of 11 1/2 hours (to drive from Allan to Dawson Creek it takes 12 hours)
I stayed in Dawson Creek for 4 days then had to go through the same thing to get home, the cost of the trip (not including room and meals) was $1300.00, it's a good thing my company picked up the tab :D

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Joel, I'm suprised you know of the Blazers, you ARE right, Kamloops Blazers DO kick ass!! :)
Thanks for the suggestions about driving, however I'm completely blind in my right eye and not allowed to hold a drivers license in either province.
No seat sales during their busiest time of the year, I can understand that completely.
So it looks like again I have a choice of taking the bus at just over $100 or fly for $330. One hour flight or a 10 hour bus ride. I never like making this decision. Which way would you go?

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Its because they cant land at the Kamloops airport so your SOL until they fix the regulations there. Your best bet is West Jet to Kelowna, and find someone to pick you up there.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Oh I have a new theory on this what about the good ol' Greyhound bus. Also my Dad is stone blind in his right eye and has an Alberta driver's license (and drivers about 100,000km a year).

Go Rebels Go

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Paul,

Not many options available...either take the long Greyhound Bus ride or fly to Kelowna via Westjet or equivalent and get a ride to Kamloops. IMO, I would just take the Greyhound Bus option. During the winter, air travel is treacherous due to icy/snowy weather, heavy passenger traffic, and a chance of turning back (or landing at another airport) due to poor weather at one destination.

Dave

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
hmmmmm........ my thread title was edited.... no wonder I couldn't find it.....
yeah thanks guys, I'll end up bussing it I think. plus it's a completely open date as well, (not sure when I will go and come back exactly). I've done that before. It does suck because you get this wonderful little 3 hour layover in Revelstoke when you take the night bus (leaves Calgary at 11pm). oh well. I can spend the extra dough on DVD's!! :D

Scott A.

Agent
Paul,

Used to live in Kamloops and have made the trip to Calgary on occasion. $330.00 isn't bad. The last time I flew at Christmas it was about $500.00 for the same trip.

Air Canada / Jazz uses Central Mountain Air for this route. Small 18 seat twin turboprop Beech craft. If you get nervous flying in small prop plains in the mountains I wouldn't advise it as it's a very bumpy ride. But they do get you there, even though The pilots don't look old enough to shave.

Think of the plane ride at the beginning of "Temple of Doom" and your not far off...

Cheers,
S

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The few times I've tried to fly around Canada, it's been an ordeal even trying to find information
I blame it on the French :)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Just be grateful you don't have to go on business and get worked over by the custom agents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks