Why is E-Bay allowing so many bootleg copies of Scarface for sale?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I am thinking about selling my authentic copy of Scarface on Ebay. I would curious what the "going rate" was and I can't believe how many bootleg "DTS" versions of Scarface are being sold. Why are they allowing this? To my knowledge, there is no DTS version in any region - certainly no DTS in Region 1.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Ebay is simply too large to care about this problem. Let's do our part, and not buy the bootlegs.

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Are they obvious bootlegs? Ebay pick up some common problems with automatic searches (anything that has CD-R or mod chip in the description lives on borrowed time, for instance) but has to rely on the copyright owner telling them about things otherwise. Its just too much research for them to know that one man's import is legit while another's isn't otherwise.

Certainly, I'd rather the odd thing slip through the net than see all the legitimate imports get banned 'just in case'.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    For the most part, Ebay refuses to police the auctions running on their site. The only way to get a bootleg auction stopped is for a representative of the copyright holder to register with Ebay and then make the request to stop the auction.

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

I have noticed that eBay cancells some sellers accounts
    when they discover and are repeatedly warned not to
    sell materials that are a copyright infrigement.

It is also in the seller's agreement with eBay.
    (I sell a TON of my DVDs on eBay..all legit product, BTW).

You will notice that many a seller of problematic
    product lists their items for 3 days. Unless a bidder
    complains about the auction (which I have done), these
    auctions don't usually get snagged and deleted before
    the auction's end.

When selling legitimate materials, and bootlegs exist,
    state that in your auction.. While many a bidder knows
    what they're bidding on, some honestly have no clue
    that they are buying an illegal product and would rather
    buy yours.

Mark

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'd say DTS without a US DTS version is usually a tipoff to do some research

Also if it's a major studio title and it's Region 0(All) it's virtually 100% definately a boot

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. Jeff Kleist

I do keep an eye on the DVD section. I report an average of 5-10 items a day, most of which are never pulled

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

See? You're being a good driver by reporting bad drivers to the PA State Police. I guess they have better things to do - like try to arrest people for buying alcohol across the PA/MD border. [​IMG]
    I think part of the problem is that eBay has to prioritize how they shut down their auctions. For example, they're in bed with Microsoft, who complains to eBay constantly about software sales, even if they're legitimate sales. eBay jumps on those auctions like a vulture on carion. In comparison to having to stave off Macrosloth's law department, a pirated copy of "Star Wars" is petty ante stuff.
    We just have to do what we can. The stuff that matters is out of our hands, unfortunately.

10. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Also if the EBAY seller is from Asia then it is most likely a bootleg.

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I was under the impression that any discussion of bootlegs was forbidden. Please let me know if I'm laboring under the wrong impression.

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

13. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

¸

I have won THE OTHERS region 0, but I never sent out the money. The seller left me a negative feedback. Was I wrong or right? Are all R0 bootleg? Well u said 100%

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

There was an article online about two weeks ago, blasting eBay for their intentional ignoring of bootlegs & shams. A former eBay employee had suspended the account of a "power seller" for illegal merchandise & complaints, and was informed by his supervisor to never suspend a power seller.
    eBay could take action. They choose not to & hide behind the number of transactions.
    -Dave

15. Jeff Kleist

Any discussion of obtaining or promoting bootlegs is forbidden, but this is OK

Not all R0 discs are bootlegs, but if you see a major studio title like The Others as R0 it's a boot.

16. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

Actually, I'm surprised that the studios have not taken, or at least threatened any action against Ebay given their recent aggressive pursuit of pirates. Ebay doesn't have much of a defense if they are able to police illegal sales of software.

17. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

IMO, the reason that EBAY is doing nothing about bootlegs is because EBAY makes money off of every auction.

18. Declan

Declan Second Unit

friend of mine has got a German satilite dish and is able to record concerts that are broadcast on German TV. I work in a music shop and she sells tham in there too and does a good trade. They are all good copies as well. But she got pulled off Ebay because of them being bootlegs. Although all her tapes were of concerts that were of good value and (for the time being) no studio has released any of those concerts on tape or DVD, and this is going back nearly 6-7 years, so it is more for collectors and fanns of certain bands. But she would only make a few tapes of each concert. It was'nt a mass market thing. Dunno myself what the harm in giving a few (die hard fans it has to be said) concert footage of something they were probably at and/or would propably have never seen because the concerts themselves would never be released or made available to buy.
    But yeah for something like a DTS version of Scarface, Indy, Star Wars, etc. Then of course there fakes.

Just my little rant.

19. Jeff Kleist

20. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter