1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Why is BOSE bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Greca, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Joe Greca

Joe Greca Stunt Coordinator

I always hear about how bad BOSE speakers are, but I don't really know why...? I mean, they look bad, but what actually makes them bad?

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

3. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

You can probably make a case for sound quality, build quality and price as reasons. 'Nuff said from me. I'm biased. [​IMG]
    MC
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    Eliza Dushku, if you're reading this, please email me pronto.

4. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

5. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

6. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

Here's some interesting reading..
    BOSE FAQ
    Another opinion..
    Why BOSE Sucks
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

7. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I think I need to create an FAQ section for the forum...
    which would include "why do people hate Bose?"
    Joe: I assume this is a serious thread (don't take that wrong, but sometimes people create prank threads).
    If you use "bose" in the search feature, you'll find a days worth of info about Bose....most is in the why Bose is bad category. In fact, I would encouage you to follow the same rule of thumb that I do...."search, before you post" I'm amazed the amount of info that I have overlooked on this forum.
    Welcome and Good Luck
    Ron

8. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Actually I think its not a question of good or bad but rather of value. For a given price you will get a better speaker from most other brands. Stated in a different way, for the same quality speaker you will pay more for Bose than for most other brands.
    That's different than saying Bose is bad.
    Cheers
    ------------------
    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree that it is a value issue. It comes down to the fact that the tiny cubes cannot deliver when it comes to full range sound when compared to even relatively average multi-driver speakers.
    I posted this previously, but my entire speaker setup cost me a total of $950 (street price, I actually paid even less). A comparable Bose setup does not exist, but the their top of the line is the AM-15. I have not seen published frequency response, but I am guessing that their bass module (not a true subwoofer) does not go to 25Hz as mine does (verified). Nor will their tiny cubes be as effective in the upper range (maybe 5KHz+?). The cost of their top their setup? $1200. So basically, not only did I get a better sounding system, I paid a fair amount less.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 31, 2001 at 06:14 PM]

11. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I discovered something interesting when I owned a Lifestyle 12 system. I was given a copy of the Bose demo disc. It sounded great on the Lifestyle. Rich bass, tight dynamics, crisp highs.
    Then I played a CD of music that I knew was dynamically well recorded. It sounded horrible.
    Then, I played the Bose demo disc on a small system. It still sounded great. It had been equalized to make up for the lack of fidelity in the Lifestyle system. Heck, it made my stock car stereo sound great.
    So, don't be fooled by the demonstration disc of any equipment.
    BTW, I sold my Bose, and bought Energy speakers and a Yamaha 995.
    ------------------
    Randy Tennison
    Kansas City, MO
    Home theater photos athttp://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/

12. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Another reason is that the Acoustimass series is not interchangeable with other company line components. Case and point. If you have a Bose system that doesn't have DTS capability then the only way you can even upgrade to DTS is if you purchase another Bass Module from them with the DTS chip installed. If your wondering why you had to purchase another Bass Module is because their processor is in the Bass Module which makes it impossible to replace their desk top unit for a Denon receiver if you just wanted to use their speakers per se. So when the rest of us can pay as low as $200 to get DD & DTS plus amplification in the form of a receiver, people are stuck with Bose unless you of course start all over and purchase a whole new system other than Bose. THe sad part is that most people after putting all that cash into one system usually will not want to purchase another new system and inturn just ride it out. Until of course once they hear another HT system that totally blows away their Bose system at 1/3 the cost. That's when they lose it and try to sell it to some guy who hasn't bumped into one of these forums yet.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

13. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I asked a co-worker/radio engineer about Bose. His response was fairly good:
    "BOSE is the best in the world for getting sound out of a 4-inch tweeter. BUT...there is a limit on how much you can do with a 4-inch tweeter".
    A normal speaker gives you a tweeter, a mid-range and sometimes a woofer.
    Bose combines the tweeter and mid-range into a single driver.
    They give you less, but charge you more.
    While most speaker companies spend a lot of time on research and development, Bose spends very little. But they spend HUGE ammounts on marketing. And it has worked well for them. To new HT/Stereo buyers, Bose is considered "high-end", because they are some of the most expensive at Circuit City, Good Guys, BB, etc. I have heard people brag: "We went with the best for our HT, we have a BOSE system". And you will notice that whenever the stores have a "XX% off all speakers sale", the fine print says "Excludes Bose".
    So their business practices/what you get for your $$$ that bothers me the most.
    But the small size has a very high SAF. Backed into a corner, I would suggest a Bose HT system to someone if that was the only way he could convince his spouse to let him bring in a DVD player and receiver.

14. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

What a coincidence... I just posted something about this the other day on another board:
    Bookshelf/Speakers: Direct Reflecting, the term itself is a oxymoron! Lets read the Bose marketing hype; 90% of the sound you hear in a concert hall is indirect, the 901's (and all their direct reflecting speakers) were designed to reproduce this concert environment. That's all fine and dandy, but not all sound coming from my speakers should sound like it's in a concert hall. When Buzz Lightyear blasts through space... I want him to sound like he's in space, not in a concert hall.
    With the Direct Radiating speaker Bose Basically takes an array of 3-9 speakers, points them in different directions, and voila! A direct radiating array! The problem with a direct radiating speaker array for HT us is the poor directionality, and the introduction of additional ambient information. What you want in a speaker is a nice flat response curve (something the Bose does not have). I can control the playback response of a recording many different ways; speaker placement, preamp/amp selection, power matching between components and speakers, active/passive equalization, to room tuning. DSP modes, etc, etc....
    Why lock yourself into a response curve and radiating pattern when these things are easily changed by other means? I can product the ambient effect of direct reflecting sound from my direct radiating speakers with speaker placement, room acoustics, DPS modes, etc. You will never be able to product direct radiating sound from your Bose speakers. While a ruler flat playback response may or may not be optimal, it is easy to conclude that the speakers should not be the place to tune this response. Speakers best designed with a ruler flat response, and adjust other room/system components to achieve optimal balance for your listening style/ preference/ material.
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

15. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

HI Bob. I agree with your post totally except for one line inwhich you said that you would recommend Bose if space was very limited and the only way that a buyer could get the DVD experience in their home. Well, I would recommend Energy, JBL, Klipsch, Def Tech, Paradigm and PSB before I would ever recommend Bose.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!
    [Edited last by Martice on August 31, 2001 at 09:12 PM]

16. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    Bob, you started the marketing aspec which I was hoping to start while I was reading through this thread.
    I like Bose for one reason, the intelligence behind the company. You take and market a speaker that sounds somewhat deceint and throw it in a store like Best Buy or Circiut City and you clasify it as top of the line. Great idea. Then you toss in an incentive of $200 or so for every system you sell. Well, of course any sales man you walk up to is going to Rave about how great Bose sounds.
    Ok, to make it even better. Go to one of these stores such as Best Buy and ask them if they have ever heard of B&W, Energy or Paradigm. Chances are they'll look at you with a dumbfounded look and shake their head no. Great marketing scheme on behalf of Bose. They corner the market with the highest price for Joe Six Pack's new home theater system that he thinks is the best money can buy.
    The truth of the matter is. Bose sounds great on the demo discs. You can master any audio cd to sound perfect on the speakers the disc is recorded for. Most stores will give you that presentation. Otherwise they'll play something light such as acoustic guitaring or light classical music. I find this to sound great on a bose system. But then again, any speaker with a good tweeter can recreat a deceint sound of clean tone music consisting of mainly highs.
    I give the Bose company all the credit in the world for what they've done. I respect how they market and target people to purchase their systems. I just feel really sorry for the people who make a bad investment in them. But at least you can do good on the resale market on eBay. My brother had to do this after I convinced him to sell his Bose Acoustimas System for an Energy Encore system.
    I just wish that a good speaker manufacture would target the depatment-type store market. Could you imagine walking into Circiut City tomorrow and seeing a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9's setting on display? That would be amazing [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Laserdisc Collection

17. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

There actualy is nothing wrong with Bose speakers.... Just why would you want liver...when you can have steak for the same price.
    I got fooled into the Bose AM5's a few years back..and finaly got rid of them...best thing I ever did. I will say this about bose though..they hold their market value pretty well- People just eat em up!
    ------------------
    So far, So good, So what
    http://members.cardomain.com/bugers
    http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

18. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
  19. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

20. Lance_R

Lance_R Stunt Coordinator

No High's No Low's Gota be Bose.
    I finally got my boss to listen to my setup at my house and he got rid of his bose system the next day, people think they sound good until they listen to good speakers.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]The best Sci-Fi in while