What's new

Why is beef jerky so expensive? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I had some kick-ass Jerky when I went to the Big-E last year. It was GIGANTIC and had black peppercorns all over. :emoji_thumbsup:

It looks like it might have been "Heidi Jo's Jerky, LLC" in the giant building with all the other vendors.

Matt Souza

Agent
Like others have said, its the loss of moisture in the meat that causes the price to be so high.

I have a local company that's the best as far as I'm concerend,Cattaneo Bros. You can even order online, this is for their traditional jerkey

I'd also recommnend their Portuguese Linguica Sausage. Man, throw that on the grill before the meat and it's a killer appitizer....Okay, I'm hungry now
:)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm not a jerky connoisseur, but Chinese style is pretty awesome. Go to a Chinatown, find a butcher shop and order a pound or two and you'll be in heaven. The jerky is not "dry" like the western style, usually having a coating of marinade on it. It's messier but oh so tasty!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
$26lb! You'd think deer, the garbage animal that people can harvest off any road in America for free would be cheaper!

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
did anyone see the first ingridient on the back of the jerky package ... "mechanically separated chicken" :frowning:

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I can't believe that nobody else here makes their own! It is YUMMEH!

John Spencer

Supporting Actor

Have you ever tried to jerk a bull that wasn't in the mood? I'm here to tell you, it's not so easy.........

Maybe I've said too much...

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Heh, I was watching the aforemention Food Network or was it that show with guy from cheers? Anyway they were talking about making home made Jerky easily... Get some filters, put in the window, etc. "Then, let it set in the window with a fan for 8 to 12 hours!" heh, that is a bit much for jerky. Thanks for the link.

Ryan

Kevin Potts

Second Unit

I make my own on a semi regular basis and sell it for $20/lb.

I got the recipe from a friend of mine who used to make gobs of it to sell. Everyone always says it's the best they've ever had, hands down.

Depending on the price of meat and whether or not I can get the liquids for the marinade in bulk, it can run anywhere from 8 to 16 dollars a pound to make. Typically it takes about 2.5 lbs of fresh, trimmed meat to make 1 lb of dried jerky. If anyone wanted to pay for the shipping, I'd be happy to send some. :D

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I have been on a jerky bender now for about 2 weeks trying all the diff. kinds out there. im snacking on a piece of jerky i got a trader joes not bad but i have hasd better. I got some a few years back at king Richards Fair omg yummy.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
The best beef jerky "situation" I've ever heard is a guy at Omaha Steaks assured me that people have confided in him that they buy this and eat it themselves because of the cost of beef jerky. That's SO rockstar!

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Nothing beats venison jerky. Used to hunt when I was younger and always got half a hind made into jerky by our local butcher. About 50 times better than any store bought beef jerky and also healthier.

Anyone else out there know the sweet pleasure of dried deer meat (especially if it's your own harvest)?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Right here Adam! My dad used to let a guy hunt his land for free (most farmers charged hunters money) and he would drop of 2-4 lbs of deer jerky. Best... jerky... ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks