What's new

Why is beef jerky so expensive? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But I wonder how much the meat shrinks when creating it? I'm sure it's quite a bit...that little piece of jerky probably started out as a MUCH bigger piece of meat. That's what you're paying for.

p.s. Kinda like a diamond, it's only compressed coal :D

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Maybe it is a lengthy process resulting in extra expenses like labor and storage and so forth...

Colton

Supporting Actor
sin tax?

Hmm. Actually, it's probably to help pay for medicare costs for those who eat it regularly. Can't be healthy.

- Colton

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
personally, some of the best i've ever had is from that cheese store (something farms???) you find in the malls. they usually sell them in large containers by the register. that stuff is amazingly good. but, as already noted, hella expensive.

i do like the stuff they sell at costco though. i don't like the teriyaki one much, but the pepper one is mmm-mmm-good!

i was also watching some food network show and they said this stuff is pretty good. maybe some day i'll try it.

http://www.damngoodjerky.com/

edit: hell, i forgot to answer the op's question. it's cuz it takes so much meat to initially make the jerky.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Hickory Farms? Wow! I haven't seen one of those in years! It was fun going in to those stores because they would have all these free meat and cheese samples. Good ol' days!

- Colton

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that's it! admittedly, it's been a while since i've bought from there ... you're prolly right and they're out of biz. but i could swear one of the malls around here has one...but not positive.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Did Hickory Farms sell jerky? I remember the meat logs (damn that sounds bad :D), but jerky? Hmmm???

Perhaps they took all the 'stale/dried out' Summer Sausage samples and repackaged them as jerky? LOL

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
meat logs? are you talking about those NASTY slim-jim type sticks? man, i would seriously consider kicking somebody who considered that stuff beef jerky. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
No, not those things (I don't care for them either)...the big ones (like 3-5" in diameter) that you slice. It's almost like a salami/sausage-type of thing.

Here they are

p.s. While searching the site for those meat logs, I found the Beef Jerky in case anyone would care to INDULGE!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
weird ... those aren't what i was thinking of. the ones i used to buy were in a tall glass cylinder. they were pretty long (about 8"), completely shriveled, and sold by the pound. i remember the cashier taking them out, weighing them, etc.

i guess they don't do that anymore. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread