Why is ATi's Best Card Only AGP??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dalila, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

I am planning on building a new system, I am going to go 64Bit, and will more than likely stick with ABit as my motherboard of choice, since I have had a number of them, and liked them very much.

Problem is, the higher end mobos are PCIE-16X interface for the video card, not AGP. Which would mean I could not get the X850XT since it's an AGP card.

I don't understand this decision by ATi, what am I missing here?

Thanks

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    AGP slots move data faster than PCI slots, hence AGP is faster than PCI. PCI is also a much older technology than AGP and most of today's high end PCs use the newer faster AGP technology.

I ran into this problem last summer when I put a video card in my e-machines tower. All of my expansion slots are PCI so I had to find a good PCI card which can play the most current graphics-intense games and is fully DX9 compliant. I finally got a MadDog Conquerer FX 5200+ which uses a nVIDA chipset. Anymore in the PCI world, that's about the best it's gonna get.

I think most here would agree if you're going to be playing a lot of 3D or graphics-intense games, you might want to look for a good AGP mobo.

3. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

No...

AGP = 8x
    PCIE = 16x and is sli capable

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    youre getting pci confused with pci-e, or pci express, which is the new badass video card bus.

CJ

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Sorry, didn't pick up on the PCIE which is faster than AGP. :b I've been up since Sunday morning.

I thought there were some top end PCIE cards using ATI chipsets. Maybe they haven't hit market yet.

6. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

7. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

Yep, I found the PE version too just a little while back thanks. Of course it's not available in the stores I was shopping at lol.

8. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

Dalila,

Unless you are using your HTPC for gaming, the ATI AGP cards are still the best bet for a quiet HTPC. My ATI 9600XT is very quiet, cost around a $100 now, and is more than adequate for processing DVDs at 1080i. The newer PCI-Express cards can be very noisy unless you use passive cooling which adds to the initial investment.
    Regards,
    TCIII

9. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Is there a such thing as a decent PCI (not PCIe) video card. I want to build an HTPC out of some spare parts but he motherboard only has Intel Exteme 2 integrated and no AGP [​IMG]. Would it even make a difference for just playing DVD's (no gaming)?