What's new

Why is a Mac so good for video editing? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I would really like to know why people consider the Mac the computer of choice for video editing. Is it the software like Final Cut Pro 3? Or is it something else?
I am considering either upgrading my PC with a editing card or buying a Mac for this alone.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Blu, (hey, when did nicknames get allowed here :D ), there are a few reasons why video editing is best on Macs:
1. Built-in native Firewire support. Since Firewire has become the standard for transferring video files, Apple pioneered this, and was first to have them built-in and standard on their G4s.
2. Less hardware related driver issues with Firewire video devices. Since the firewire ports are built-in, usually it's an easy plug-and-go.
3. Software, software, software. Even the free software that comes bundled with G4s is quite good for the average user (iMovie and iDVD.) But the professional editing tools like Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro are the cream of the crop.
4. Lastly, everything just works. I've tried playing around with stuff on the PC side, and it seems like you need little tools and small apps to work individual parts of the editing/burn process. On the Mac side, everything just plain works with little effort and it's very user-friendly.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
3. Software, software, software. Even the free software that comes bundled with G4s is quite good for the average user (iMovie and iDVD.) But the professional editing tools like Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro are the cream of the crop.
As someone who does video editing for a living, I take exception to that remark. Final Cut Pro is a decent editor, but it isn't the cream of the crop. Far from it. Just about every single prime time show and just about every single feature film is cut using a product from Avid (Media Composer, Film Composer, Symphony, Xpress, and so on).

That said, the vast majority of these shows *ARE* cut on Macintoshes. Avid systems run on both Macs and PCs with (mostly) identical features. (Mostly because Avid's highest-end finishing system, Symphony is only available on the PC.)

If you want to get started in editing, iMovie is a good choice. It comes with just about every Mac out there and does a great job. IMO Microsoft's bundled video editing program isn't nearly as easy to use.

However, if you are serious about becoming a video editor, I'd look at Avid's Xpress DV. It has most of the features of their higher-end systems and works with either Macs or PCs.

Regarding DVD authoring, DVD Studio Pro is a fine program, but it isn't what the majority of pros use. The top two commercial programs are Sonic's Scenarist (for PC) and Fusion (for Mac). They both blow DVDSP out of the water. Sony and Panasonic also have proprietary systems which are very popular (and not available for purchase). Neither of those run on a Mac.

-greg

Blu

Screenwriter
Actually I'm a filmmaker trying to put together his first feature. Have shot most of the primary footage. Just wanting to get the best computer/software combo to get the best product I can make. I need to delete wires, add some minor special EFX, etc.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
To be honest, Blu, you need to look at editing and effects as two separate jobs. Don't pick an editing program simply because it does good effects. Choose an editing program because it lets the editor do what he needs to do efficiently and effectively. Though many editing systems can do good effects, if you are looking at wire removal you are really want to look doing those effects on a program that will enable you to easily roto out those effects.

High end editing/compositing programs such as Avid|DS or Discreet Smoke will allow you to roto out the wires, but those aren't the best programs to edit with.

-greg

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's one of the reasons why I recommended Adobe products to you. Once you finish your final edit you can just import your project into After Effects and do all your FX work w/o rendering

MikeM

Screenwriter
As someone who does video editing for a living, I take exception to that remark. Final Cut Pro is a decent editor, but it isn't the cream of the crop. Far from it. Just about every single prime time show and just about every single feature film is cut using a product from Avid (Media Composer, Film Composer, Symphony, Xpress, and so on).
Greg, easy there. Look, the original poster was clearly signifying that this was for home use by the notion that he was possibly "upgrading his PC".
Sure prime time network shows are cut using different software, but so is the price tag. I agree with what you're saying, but for home use, the software tools you mentioned are are hardly for someone who may be finding an alternative to upgrading their PC.
It's a bit more like saying that a top of the line consumer BMW isn't great because the pros are all racing Ferraris. :D

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Hey guys, I'm interested in learing about digital video editing as well. I cant afford a new computer so I'm going to stick with the PC I have. How does Adobe Premiere fit into this equation? I only want to screw around with home movies not something really important. Also sometime in the next year or so I'd like to get a DVD burner and try to author some DVDs I understand Premiere wont do this but what I wonder is if you could do all the DV editing using Premiere and then burn the result to DVD using some other program.
What program is good for this kind of thing on a PC? Perhaps something affordable (under $500).

Thanks guys,
Marshall;

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If the fact that you don't want to buy a new computer wasn't a limiting factor, the new iMac would be perfect :) It has iMovie for basic editing and iDVD for authoring, and they're included.
The longer you wait, the cheaper everything will be. I got into this stuff about a year ago :eek:
Do you already have Premiere? If not, and you can't get a good deal (like a bundle or academic discount), I've heard good things about Video Vegas to do the editing. It's less expensive.
As for the authoring, the burners will usually come with something. Of course, it's probably bottom rung stuff like MyDVD. They have limitations like encoding at a constant bit rate, and not supporting AC-3, which both result in bigger files with lower quality. But it might be good enough for what you're doing. If not, there are quite a few upgrade options.
//Ken

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Premiere is the best all-around package for PC. I really hate the cheaper ones, don't like the interface at all

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Marshall, if you want a program to get into video on the PC, I'd look at Vegas Video. It is easier to get into, IMO, than Premiere and less expensive. Nothing against Premiere, it is a good mid-level product, but I believe Vegas Video is more approachable.

-greg

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I was wondering if FAST products are still out there. I used to fiddle with one of those back in '96. But everyone was still telling us AVID was better.....go figure....

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
In a rare pro-Mac comment. I will say that FCP has the best color correction system I've seen in the afforable software range

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks