Why is a game 3 tiebreaker called a rubber game?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher P, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I've only heard this in baseball, which seems to have its own lexicon of phrases. Does anyone know why when a series is tied 1-1, the third and final game is called the rubber game?

Chris

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Um...maybe the winner of the game gets the other teams groupies, and hence they buy a box of rubbers?

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

It's called a rubber game because it's the deciding game of the series. The winner of that game wins the series.

Because rubber bends and is flexible, it's called the rubber game because the series can "bend" either way.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Evan got it. Technically, it is usually called a "rubber match" rather than a "rubber game". Same difference though.

5. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

ROFL.... this was brought up at work (the term) in regards to the 3rd match of PING PONG! [​IMG]
    So it applies all over the place [​IMG]
    Brian

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Actually, Evan didn't get it, since the term is found in print long before the elastic material known as rubber was widely used. And it is usually expressed as "the rubber game of a match", not "rubber match." (That is, the deciding game of a match consisting of several games.)

I can see nobody in this thread is a bridge player (or knows any), since a game of bridge (and similar serial card games) is often referred to as "a rubber". The term was generally used of card games long before it moved into the world of modern sports, though it originally came from the old European game of lawn bowling ("bowls" in English, Bocce ["bah-chee" Sp?] in Italian.)

From The Word Detective:

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Oh yeah, heheh, that Bocce...whew...oh. [​IMG]

8. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Bocce Ball may be fun, but I want my Lawn Darts !!!!