Why is a flat screen better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Lofgren, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

I'm new to home theater and have had a DVD player for about 1 1/2 months, but this forum is influencing me. I know very little about TVs and I tried the search, but the server load is too high. I'm considering the purchase of a tv in the near future. I would like to know why flat screen is better and how much it's worth. I'm considering either a 27" or 32" tv. I've been looking around and I can get a Toshiba 27A41 for about $300, a Toshiba 32A41 for about $500, the cheap 27" flat screen Sony(can't remember it's model) for about $500, and the Sony KV-32FS13 for $800 or a little more. My question is, is the addition of the flat screen worth the increase in price? Also, are these good TVs for the price ranges or what others should I consider? Thanks for any and all help

2. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Hi Jonathan,
    Flat screen TVs are better because there is less glare and reflection on the screen. I can't really tell you how much that is worth, however.
    As a rule of thumb, try to get the biggest TV that you can afford. If you find a nice 27" TV, but feel you can spring for the 32" version, go for it. One thing to think about with the flat screens, however, is that they tend to be heavier than standard TVs. This is because the Screen is much thicker to counteract the strength lost by flattening it out.
    I've heard good things about the Panasonic Tau flatscreens, you may want to compare those to the Sonys.
    Best of luck,
    Max