What's new

Why in the world do people care about the included remote? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have noticed that many members here and on other boards seem to be overly concerned with the manufacturer remotes that are included with components. If one is willing to spend $$$ on a receiver and $$$ on a DVD player (let alone mega $ on separates), wouldn't it make sense to get an economical/ergonomic learning remote? I don't know about all of you, but the last thing I want on my coffee table is a pile of remotes. The first thing I do when I setup a new component is program its most useful functions into my learning remote. So why is it that I often here bitching and moaning about how "all of the buttons on my Denon remote are the same size", or "i wish my Panasonic remote had longer range". I'm not only referring to negative comments, but positive ones as well. When reviewing a component, why even waste your time commenting on how nice the included remote is?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Despite the fact that my receiver came with a learning remote, I hated it, and bought another one anyway. I only have 2 remotes, one for the TV which I use when the receiver is not on, and the complete system remote which controls everything.

StevenK

Second Unit
Because not everybody is spending $1000 on a receiver. There are plenty of people looking for receivers in the $400-$600 range. To have to spend an extra $150 for a MX-500 or whatever can be the difference between choosing one receiver over another. So the included remote is a very important feature, IMO.

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
If spending $150 for a universal learning remote was the case, I would have to agree with you. Fortunately for us, there are plenty of good learning remotes available for less than $50 (I operate a Lexicon DC-1 Pre/Pro, Panasonic RP56 DVD, NEC LT150 projector, Pioneer RPTV, and Mitsubishi VCR all from an X10 Ultimate 8-1 remote. It only ran me $24.95! http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ur24a.htm). I don't agree that the price of 3rd party remotes is prohibitive. In that regard, a remote should NEVER be a deal maker/breaker.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Yes, but I have a RS 15-1994 (no longer available) that is better than any of my Manufacturer-supplied remotes and it only cost me $30. It learns, does macros, is backlit, has a very ergonomic layout, *and* can even be be customized/programmed via a PC cable.

It doesn't cost alot of money to get a decent learning remote.

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly Rick. Another great example. As a matter of fact, I despise the pricey touch screen remotes. They may impress guests but they are not at all practical in my opinon.

StevenK

Second Unit
Well thank you for the revelation guys! Seriously, no sarcasm intended at all. When I was looking for a remote to replace my H/K 520 remote, all I could find was $100 remotes. Anything below that had no learning ability and no macro ability.

Is there an equivalent to the RS 15-1994 nowadays?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I have the 15-1994 for my downstairs and I love it.

Steven, I also use a sony RM-VL900. This can be found for around 30 dollars online. It has three macro buttons and it is very easy to learn. I use this one in my bedroom. I would whole heartily recommend this remote for its price. I hear the new radio shack model would be comparable to it, but neither are as flexible as the 15-1994

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Hey, the remote that came with my 797 is pretty darn good. Why spend another couple of bills if you don't have to? Besides, if you are a company that can design and manufacture a receiver you should be able to design or pay someone to design a useful remote.

bryan_chow

Agent
I have a Pronto (meticulously programmed) and still I use my Onkyo 898's remote all the time now. It's a fantastic remote which even replaces my Tivo remote.

The receiver remote is important because it's the one remote that can likely replace all the rest, and is difficult to replace with a basic universal remote. The Pronto is great except when I'm channel surfing, etc I need physical buttons.

Bryan

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I've also wondered the same thing. I saw lots of peaple who were looking at buying the Rotel RSP-1066 and the Outlaw 950 pre/pros and lots of them were complaining about the remotes.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Radio Shack does have a remote that replaced the 1994, it sells for around $30 or $40. It really is a great remote, came with backlit keys and everything. I can't remember off hand what the number is though, just go into radio shack and they will know what you're talking about.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have the hk tc 1000 it is a sweet remote the thing i have is to turn on and off all my stuff i have to flip between all my stuff byt with the hk tc i have all buttons to do what ever i want and i can program it and it has lerning so if it dont have a code it will lern the code

brian a

Second Unit
Lot's of folks are picky about remotes. Me included. You can't just assume that if a remote has all the functionality you need, that it'll be the perfect remote for you. Both the outlaw and the rotel remote will do everything that the remotes you listed will do and maybe more, but some folks are more comfortable with various features and button configs. Just personal preferences.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Call me weird but I expect any unit to come with a nice remote control. Ideally it should be universal and learing and even support macros. The remote for my rx-v2200 supports all those features, which by the way is a nice remote.

I've seen a lot of aftermarket remotes and most of them seem worse then the stock remotes that come with the units. I've heard a lot of people rave about the cinema7 remotes, and I own one, but it's but ugly and I hate it. By far the coolest remote control is the one that came with my dad's Toshiba 50HX70 if for no other reason than that it glows blue when you press a button.

Sure, there are some good aftermarket remotes but the good ones aren't cheap. If they were $10 at wal-mart and I'd agree with you, but unfortunately that's not the case.

- Mike

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I am not sure what you mean by cheap but there are a few nice 50 USD or less remotes. Yeah, I think the cinema7 remotes blows as well. If someone does not know, www.remotecentral.com is really the mecca of all things remote. I still stand by my rat shack and Sony suggestions. Dollar for dollar they are hard to beat. Also, the rat shack glows bright blue and I agree with Mike, it makes it look really cool.

Howard Knox

Auditioning
Just my 2 cents worth. Have a Onkyo 797 (I know - with all the ticking - had it repaired & works just fine so far) and don't need any other remote. It controls the a/v receiver, the Sony T60 Tivo sat receiver, Hitachi 60" TV, JVC DVD, Laserdisc, RCA VCR, Sony 8mm VCR. Only had to program a few functions on a couple of the pieces of equipment. Might not be worth it to buy it separately ($190) but sure glad it came with the receiver.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
The problem with the cinema 7 is that it *is* ugly and not very ergonomic IMHO. The reason that it sells so well is that it has great functionality.

This is the reason that the RS 15-1994 was *so* popular. it is a repackaged cinema7. So it has the great functionality of the C7 but in a much better/more usable package. Of course, this is also the reason that the replacement for the 1994 doesn't have quite the same functionality of it's predecessor. The OEM making the remote for RS (One For All parent company) didn't like the RS remote 'stealing' market share from them, so the new one has been 'dumbed down' a bit.

I have heard that the remote being shipped with the Outlaw receivers is almost identical to the 1994 though. I haven't seen it myself.

The new RS unit is nice, but not as good as the 1994.

RG

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiousity.... Who here owns a touch screen remote? What benefits do you feel it offers over a standard learning/macros remote? In my opinion, they just don't feel natural. 99% of the time I am simply changing channels, adjusting volume, or switching amongst stereo/dd/dts/logic7. For the rare cases where I need to change settings, I just pull the original remote out of storage. I HATE coffee table clutter!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks