What's new

Why I will never to to www.upcomingmovies.com again! (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I have spent a few minutes on this site this week.. Now, I will never go there again. Every time you click a link within the site, a pop up ad window appears. How sad is that?? How do they expect people to peruse their site if a new pop up window makes its way onto your screen every 30 seconds??? After 5 minutes on the site, I had 20 windows open in my taskbar.
Very disappointing...
frown.gif

------------------
PJ

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
The same crap happens with comingsoon.net, another valuable site I use for film release dates that opens up about four or five ads per LINK. Just be thankful the IMDB hasn't went this route....yet.
------------------
Link RemovedLink Removed
epi101_photo1.jpg

[email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Clown college? You can't eat that!" Homer Simpson
My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The IMDB did, for a few days. I imagine Amazon got an earful about that.
Still no pop-ups on Link Removed , although it's a pretty basic site that's clearly someone's hobby.

Erik Pontius

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else have the sudden urge to buy a wireless camera?
Seems like you can't go anywhere on the web without that annoying thing popping up....
------------------
"It's cheaper than a movie and there's free coffee."

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Whoa, if the pop ups killer didn't work there, then I doubt Webwasher(look for it at cNet.com) could get rid of them either. It works most of the time, but some times it screws up.
------------------

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty easy to get rid of pop-ups. Most of the time, these sites use Java-scripting to make ads popup. Go to Tools on your tools bar in Internet Explorer. Select Internet Options. Click the Security Tab and hit the Internet icon. Then, select custom level. There, disable all the things under scripting. HOWEVER, when you do this, there are going to be a lot of sites that you won't be able to surf that use scripting (eg. Hotmail). You can get around that. Select trusted sites on the Security tab you found. There, you have to manually enter in site names that you want Java Script to be active for (I use cut and paste). Make sure you have the server verification unchecked. I can use Hotmail, surf the web, and never again worry about insidious popup ads (unless you've enabled a pariticular website to use them).
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
While I agree that pop-ups are very annoying, it would take more than that for me to forsake that particular site.
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://www.ofcs.org

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
You can blame whoever you want to, but if the popups are enough to make the site a chore to read then people will leave. Personally I fail to see the point of popups anyway. Should one actually escape my whack-a-mole closing attempts long enough to display a picture it hardly gives me a favorable impression of the company desperate enough to use such annoying tactics. The much maligned banner ad stays on my machine because its unobtrusive and part of the browser window, but just because its a browser doesn't give an application permission to take over my whole desktop.

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Junkbuster has a good popup killer addon that I've been using - it works very well, blocks ALL popups from a particular site. I'll have to try it on upcomingmovies.com.
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks