Why I Stopped Watching the Sci-Fi Channel

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Scott-S, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I tried watching a movie today (Red Planet) on the sci-fi channel and remembered why I stopped watching this channel even though I love Sci-Fi movies.

They took 2.5 hours (150 minutes) to show a movie that was 106 minutes long. That is just way too many commercials for me.

So between the commercials, and the very strict censorship (dubbing, cutting etc.) I am back to renting things.

2. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

Last time I checked 2.5 hours was 150 minutes. Which leaves about 17 minutes per hour of comercials. Standard for all programing these days. (with certain exceptions like HBO and TCM). Other channels would have just cut the movie to fit the run time, and it was even OAR (not that I watched it, awful movie).

3. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I stand corrected... It still seemed like much more time was spent on commercials than the program when watching it. It was probably less than the 106 minutes due to the scenes they had to cut due to violence etc.

Still doesnt make sense that I had to sit through at least 44 minutes of commercials to watch a movie. Especially one this bad. lol

4. Berk

Berk Stunt Coordinator

Just think, one day we’ll be saying…

“Remember when TV stations used to have commercials? Now the picture is ¼ the screen size surrounded by several other boxes of advertisements and a stock ticker of what’s hot in girls fashion!”

Next up: Pay extra for what TV used to be like! Only 17 minutes of commercials per hour with FULL SCREEN programming!

Here comes the hand basket…