1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Why I Own So Many Movies.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mike Frezon, Sep 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    It was fairly easy at the time, though now, since it’s been years and I have forgotten how, it seems like investigating a forgotten art.
    I could make a cd in about 30 min. including cover once I had the wave file.

The biggest warning for you — don’t tell anyone you can do this! Friends will present you with vast collections of things you have no interest in and ask you to burn them to CD.

2. Message #162 of 189 Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Yes, this is a huge difference between not only the PQ/sound/improved aspect ratio of DVD's/Blu's vs. VHS tapes - but also the physical appearance & space requirements re: DVD/Blu vs. VHS. Whereas VHS tapes were large/bulky/heavy/ugly - and took up a lot of room - DVD's/Blu's are significantly smaller, lighter, and much more compact. And, while I myself keep most of my Disks in the containers they came in, if you wanted to you could completely eschew the original packaging - and just put these in thin CD cases which take up a lot less room. Or, take it one step further & put all of your Disks in plastic sheets & then put everything in notebook binders - thereby taking up up even less room! The difference here is profound.

The increased availability of TV shows on DVD are actually what made me a DVD fan back in the early 200X's. At the time, I had a strong interest in seeing The Sopranos - but didn't want to subscribe to HBO. So, I bought a DVD player so I could watch the series on DVD, and never looked back. In fact, in the early-mid 200X's I can honestly say I was a bigger fan of the TV shows on DVD releases than the new film on DVD releases.

Though, you're right - these days, TV shows on DVD releases are getting less & less - Though, a lot of the reason for this is that there has been such a plethora of shows that have already been released on Disk back in the 200X's & much of the 20XX's - so, there's simply not as much material to release as there was 10/15 years ago.

Agree with all of this 100%. Blu's haven't caught on with the general public & never will - even though the format has been available for 13 years (since 2006). In fact - and as I've mentioned in other threads - there are consumers out there who aren't even aware that Blu players are backwards-compatible, and can also play regular DVD's :rolleyes:. This is yet another reason that the general public will never fully invest in Blu.

So, since it's established that regular Blu-ray will never fully catch on, I can't see more advanced formats even being considered by John/Jane Q. Public.

And, as you said - with streaming having become so easy & affordable - there is even less of a reason to invest in physical media. In fact, I know folks who don't even have a DVD/Blu player - but exclusively stream when watching movies/TV shows.

Agree with this as well. I never had more than a handful of movies/albums on VHS & Vinyl, but the few I did were unloaded quickly after getting the material in the far superior CD & DVD formats.

3. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    I know a number of people in their 30s who don't have any kind of media player, and these are people who work in film and television.

The Drifter likes this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I am 36, work in film and television, and I’m the only one of my colleagues (among all age groups both older and younger) who still collects physical media. One or two have transitioned to HTPC setups where they’re digitized their own physical media, but everyone else has just moved on to streaming.

Every one of those people is very much into enjoying the content itself, but have little or no feelings of romance or nostalgia for the physical item. I used to loan out discs frequently and now, no one asks. I can’t remember the last time I was asked by someone to borrow a disc - it’s been years.

Jeff Flugel and The Drifter like this.
  5. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Personally, I'm not into the binder concept. I like to scan the shelves to find what i want to watch. As a result, I ended up building custom wall units in a side room from my home theater that consumes 20 feet wide of wall space at seven shelves high. It's completely full. To accommodate the additional purchases over time, i had to basically replace the majority of my over-sized TV releases with standard sized, six disk, DVD cases and custom art.

By the late 90's early 2000's I only had a couple of TV releases on DVD. I remember the A&E Avengers being the first TV on DVD I ever purchased around 1999. Then somehow it exploded and I got the TV bug, possibly because I had fulfilled my basic need for 70's+ movie content and a smattering of classics from the 40's and up. A decade later I was looking at 250+ TV series on DVD, with a few upgraded to blu-ray. Mostly TV nostalgic from the 50's through 80's with a few from later years.

As classic TV on physical media waned, I moved back to movies. Focusing mostly on 20's through 40's, and 50's film noir and classic sci-fi. Most of the classic sci-fi is nostalgia based, while the film-noir is a whole new genre for me. Plenty of westerns's as well.

My other passion has been collecting and revisiting older sports broadcasts captured on DVD, like the Redskin's Superbowl seasons, football "games of the week" from the 60's through mid-80's, Celtics/Magic games from the 80's, Bulls championship years from 1991-1993 and 1996-1998, to name a few. I've been porting them over to blu-ray to save space.

I actually gave up cable TV a little over two years ago. I have Hulu for my family, and my own dedicated media server to stream locally when I want to watch from my iPad. Otherwise, I watch the serious stuff on the big screen from physical media. I have more that enough content to keep me occupied going forward.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

This is the truest thing I think I've ever read on the forum!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

7. Message #167 of 189 Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    The Drifter

Jim
    I'm actually not really into the DVD/Blu binder concept either, but was just using it as an example of how someone who had a huge amount of DVD's/Blu's could easily save a lot of space by getting rid of the cases/boxes/etc. - if they so chose. However, I have been known to get rid of the DVD cases or boxes (for TV sets) and just put the DVD's/Blu's in thin CD cases. This takes up a lot less room than a case & protects the Disks as well.

Conversely, with VHS tapes - the only thing you could really get rid of were those plastic cases/cheap cardboard "slips" that the tapes sometimes came in. The VHS tapes themselves took up a lot of room on their own - even without the plastic/cardboard covers.

8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thinking back on VHS was the first time I was able to own and watch movies in my home and takes me back to the beginning of when I was first getting into home theater. Just like many of us here we have gone from VHS/Beta to DVD to Blu-ray and some of us have gone to 4K UHD. I for one could not even imagine back in the VHS days having the technology of 4K movies we have today along with the DTS-X and Dolby Atmos audio we have today. When DVD's came around those of you that know me know that DTS was it for me! LOL not but seriously it was it for me, LOL. Anyway this is no longer the case as I no longer double dip for titles based on audio as I buy discs with DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos or DTS-X it is all good!

20190522_101343a. 20190522_100912a. 20190430_195457a.

I love the artwork but that is not the focus, the movie is the focus. But I love having the movie at my fingertips knowing the version I am happy with is mine and if they change it I am not effected by the change. I have gone through my DVD's and actually cut them in half getting rid of ones I have replaced with HD Blu-rays or 4K UHD Blu-rays. I have also added a 4K Apple TV and have been growing my digital library to add to my physical library. Do I have concerns still about digital libraries, sure I do but I still have added it to what I have and am to the point I need to buy more storage space for physical media. Currently as you can see I am down to about two more empty shelves for my 4K UHD Blu-rays. Wow from stereo VHS movies to 4K UHD Blu-rays with lossless and immersive audio like Dolby Atmos in what sometimes feels like a blink of an eye when you look back at it. At the same time where has the time gone? But I do know we will keep on enjoying our hobby and enjoying movies old and new. I am starting phasing out my HD-DVD not pictured above and they will be replaced with HD Blu-rays, 4K UHD Blu-rays and Digital.

Jeff Flugel and MarkA like this.
  9. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    You know, aliens around us are fighting a huge galactic war and need allies. They discovered us around 1900, and decided we could help, but needed to spend the last 119 years advancing our technology artificially to bring us up to speed. So, what should have taken 1000 years has taken less than 200! ;)

10. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    I want my films in the best possible picture quality but, possibly, strangely I have no interest in all the audio acronyms. I run my projector and OLEDs through a (quality) stereo amplifier. I do play it loud though.

11. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

That makes perfect sense. It is more convenient, and neater/less problematic overall.
    However for fans of classic TV (from popular to the more obscure) digital purchase, and streaming is the worst possible solution, although that is a very niche audience to begin with so..

Jeff Flugel and Josh Steinberg like this.
  12. Message #172 of 189 Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    OLDTIMER

OLDTIMER Agent

Ken S-B
    I thought I was pretty unique in having a collection of around 1000 movies on DVD and Blu-ray but at least, reading the posts, I can’t be all that mad (unless everyone else is, too!). Sadly, very few of my friends can appreciate my collecting mania. My tastes are largely classics and vintage.

What I have found annoying is having to update to a new medium every so often in order to keep up with the ever-increasing picture quality.

I started with 8mm, then it was VHS, and just when my collection was increasing, along came Laser Disc. LD looked great on a small screen, but not so on today’s big screens. Then DVD, and Blu-ray followed which meant a large part of my DVD collection had to go. (I had burnt the better LDs to DVD.)

I have recently bought a 4K OLED TV so now it’s 4K discs. (But having compared 4K discs with standard Blu-ray, the small difference in quality is really not worth the extra cost.)

I almost forgot, I went through a 16mm and 35mm (yes, real theatrical prints) stage but these proved too expensive.

Regarding storage, I have put many of my discs into paper sleeves with appropriately adorned front covers. I also bought a quantity of 6mm blu-ray cases.

13. English Invader

English Invader Stunt Coordinator

Simon
    My personal tragedy is that I don't find upgrading (or downgrading) to new formats annoying. I'll even buy multiple editions of the same film in the same format if I like it enough. And, I'll go the other way as well; I'll buy an original VHS copy of a film I recently discovered on Blu-Ray. I think it's better to know one film intimately than a hundred superficially and knowing a film intimately sometimes means knowing what it was like before digital restoration.

Suzanne.S and OLDTIMER like this.
  14. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    Welcome! You're among friends. You'll find many of us have followed the pathway from film to current digital formats and the majority are those that love vintage film.
    Ain't it fun though.:P

OLDTIMER, Vegas 1, Robin9 and 2 others like this.
  15. Message #175 of 189 Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    OLDTIMER

OLDTIMER Agent

Ken S-B
    I’m also concerned about the future of hard media. With the sales of DVDs and Blu-rays falling rapidly due to streaming, and the limited take-up of 4K discs, it may not be long before the availability of material on these media will drop to nearly nothing.

I have hundreds of DVDs of dubious quality that I would love to see on Blu-ray, but I doubt if I ever will. Especially vintage material (1920s, 30s and 40s) are seldom newly available. At least, we long-time collectors do have items that are no longer available and are unlikely to ever be.

Suzanne.S and Jasper70 like this.
  16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    You're among fellow mad collectors here. Because I recently had to remove my collection from the house to have some work done it hit home just how much I truly have. Right now I've brought only the *unopened* discs back in (movies and TV series) simply because I don't have enough storage for the opened/viewed stuff (it was scattered in 3 rooms in every nook and crannie I could find). There are a bit over 600 movies - DVD and BR (probably 70/30-DVD/BR) and several hundred TV seasons (don't have a real good count on those but they easily fill 3 times the storage space of the unopened movies). The TV seasons are more 80/20-DVD/BR with most of the BR being upgrades of currently owned series on DVD.

The majority of my collection is pre 1970 movies and TV series.

Jeff Flugel, Jasper70 and OLDTIMER like this.
  17. The Drifter

Jim
    I - and I'm sure other collectors/fans - share your concern. Though, they're still making Blu players & they're still making physical media (Blu/DVD) so I hope it'll be available for a long time to come. That being said, it's obvious that lot less people are buying physical media due to streaming. Earlier this year, I went into Frye's Electronics looking for a new Blu player - and, they didn't have any for sale. I did get one later @ Best Buy, and I know you can still get them online. However, the fact that players & the disks themselves are becoming more "niche" & harder to find - is a concern.

That also being said, I do feel that DVD/Blu disks may end up being online-only at some point in the future - in fact, for some titles this is already happening to a great extent.

It's obvious that 4K will never catch on. I'm an HD aficionado, and even I have no intention of investing in a 4K set or 4K disks - regular Blu is enough for me.

Jeff Flugel, Suzanne.S and OLDTIMER like this.
  18. OLDTIMER

OLDTIMER Agent

Ken S-B
    Re HD catching on. I invested in a 4K player and some 4K discs. My TV is a 55inch Panasonic OLED. Unless I sit 4 feet from the screen I can't see the difference between 4K and HD. I'm thus not buying any more 4k discs. Trouble with a super large screen TV is that standard DVDs look awful.

The Drifter likes this.
  19. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I hope this doesn't count as a threadcrap, because that's not my intention.

Ownership/easy access to the stuff I enjoy most is important to me. I started collecting in the first place because I was a kid who didn't have cable and didn't get good broadcast reception, so I was limited to what the local video store had for rent. Collecting VHS tapes was a way to fight back against having nothing to watch, and my collecting evolved as the formats did, and it's been a lifelong hobby.

But I think my collection has gotten a little bloated. I've taken advantage of too many sales over too many years, with that same mindset of my inner nine year old who can only ever watch what's on his shelf. But I'm not nine anymore, and I don't need my parents' permission to rent a video anymore. So over the past year I've started evaluating whether I should still be purchasing as if I was still living in 1991.

And yet... I can't quite give up the idea of some form of ownership for at least some of the content. Maybe I don't need to hold on to copies of movies I didn't like just to prove that I saw them. But maybe getting rid of everything and going 100% streaming is too far a swing in the other direction.

I'm just toying with the idea but I'm thinking of making some kind of Home Theater PC setup. I know that I'm late to the party on that and it's not a new idea. Part of my reason for doing it would be that I have a ton of stuff, whether it's old TV shows, concert DVDs or what-have-you that isn't readily available streaming, or in some cases even in print on disc anymore. I know I'd be upset if I lost all of that stuff. So I'm thinking that putting all of this legacy stuff on some kind of a HTPC would serve two purposes. One of those purposes would be to have all of this stuff backed up. Right now, if one of those discs goes bad, that stuff is just lost to me. If it exists as both a disc and as a file on a hard drive, that's better protection. And the other purpose would be to allow me to move some of my physical collection from the living room into storage. I wouldn't want to just throw away the discs. But if I have an exact copy of the thing on a HTPC, it seems like it would make sense to put the discs into the attic or something, so they're available if I need them, but not taking up so much space. It's basically what I do with CDs. I still buy CDs over iTunes downloads, but I rip the CD into the computer, and then put the CD away until it's needed again.

I'm thinking that's what ownership for me might look like in 2020 and beyond. The discs that actually have sentimental value to me and that I like having on display will stay there, but the stuff that doesn't look good on a shelf or where it's easier not to use a disc can be on the HTPC. This probably isn't a solution for everyone but I'm hoping it'll work for me.

Jeff Flugel, Suzanne.S and Jasper70 like this.
  20. The Drifter

Jim
    Agree 100% - this is exactly the reason I haven't invested in 4K, and never will. I have a 47" HD set that's about 6 years old, and love it. However, while Blu's look great on the set - some of the regular DVD's look just OK - and some look like crap. So, my concern over getting a 4K set was partially because my regular DVD's (which I still have a lot of) would look even worse on a 4K set vs. a regular HD set - and it sounds like these fears are justified.

OLDTIMER likes this.