What's new

Why I Own So Many Movies. (1 Viewer)

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I went to one of the local Best Buy stores over the weekend and it's one that's a bit smaller (newer) than the original we have in town but still has plenty of stock.

As we were in the back corner of the store to look at Xbox games I saw a store employee arranging the movies on disc section. Thing is it was just a 20 foot x 5 foot tall wall with maybe 1-2 copies of mainly recent movies. This is the first I've seen this, looks like they no longer have actually rows of discs sitting mid store, Is it a sign that BB will sooner rather than later kill discs off? Maybe, but it sure was a sad sign of the times that movies and TV shows on disc are now (at that store) pushed off to a dead zone of the store with minimal selection.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's like our new Target, which is about half the size of their usual big box store. There's maybe the same 20 x 5-foot section along one side of one aisle for movies. Much different than the four or five double-sided aisles in their bigger stores.

Reactions: PMF

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have this 2019 feeling that I won't be buying so many movies this year. A few years ago I was having a sort-out of DVDs & I was shocked at the amount that still had the shrink- wrap on, I was buying films on DVD just because they were released on DVD, & I said to myself I wouldn't do this with Blu-rays, but of course I'm weak & I did (but not so much). So, from now on it's going to have to be a film that I've loved for a long time which I know I'll be re-watching, or some new glittery trash that I'll buy cheap & then get rid of once I've seen it. If I only buy "must haves" (& there are plenty of those) then I don't mind paying premium prices for movies I really want (Twilight Time). Let's see how many films I buy this year. Now to thin out the pile.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I always immediately open up every disc I buy, sometimes in the car outside the post office or store. I have had so many with broken cases and broken spokes or scratched because they are rattling around. I want to take or send them back before they are too old to do so.

Years ago I bought a package of little round labels and I attach one to the spine of all I watched DVD/Blu rays before I shelve them. This allows me to see at a glance one that I haven’t played yet.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I always immediately open up every disc I buy, sometimes in the car outside the post office or store. I have had so many with broken cases and broken spokes or scratched because they are rattling around. I want to take or send them back before they are too old to do so.

Years ago I bought a package of little round labels and I attach one to the spine of all I watched DVD/Blu rays before I shelve them. This allows me to see at a glance one that I haven’t played yet.

Luckily I never have that issue since Google stores all my movies. ;):D

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Odds are good that it will all go to a landfill so don't invest too much time thinking about it.

Sad but true.

Someone I knew passed away, and his family rented a dumpster, and gutted his house, threw everything in it multiple times as they hadn't the time to sift through everything, and determine what was to be sold, and what wasn't...it was instantly all trash.

Video games, systems, movies on DVD, everything.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
As long folks who feel they need to collect every movie they want to watch know that all that money will go in the trash one day, more power to them I say. I know I couldn't do it.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I went to one of the local Best Buy stores over the weekend and it's one that's a bit smaller (newer) than the original we have in town but still has plenty of stock.

As we were in the back corner of the store to look at Xbox games I saw a store employee arranging the movies on disc section. Thing is it was just a 20 foot x 5 foot tall wall with maybe 1-2 copies of mainly recent movies. This is the first I've seen this, looks like they no longer have actually rows of discs sitting mid store, Is it a sign that BB will sooner rather than later kill discs off? Maybe, but it sure was a sad sign of the times that movies and TV shows on disc are now (at that store) pushed off to a dead zone of the store with minimal selection.

That's been the case with most Best Buy locations in New York City. There is only one that I've seen in the last two or so years that actually retained a good-size disc section and that's the one on E. 86 St. and Lexington Avenue on the Upper East Side. Maybe the older, wealthier demographic there still insists on physical media. I bought quite a few Blu-rays last time I was there, partly to reward them. And this was after checking the prices on Amazon, which were comparable or higher. It's as if the store manager did the same thing and lowered his prices to compete. Ya gotta reward that kind of strategy.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Good thing about Best Buy is they will gladly price match most every other store they compete with.

But as nice as it is to "reward" a store manager whose trying to hang on to a dying product, I can't do it (buy more discs) since I rather invest that in my streaming content which in that case is via a Hulu or Spotify gift card bought at, you guessed it, Best Buy. So I am supporting their effort to go discless :)

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I guess the one faction of collectors of discs that boggle the mind are the ones who have invested close to, if not over 5 figures in discs and maybe 1, 2, 3% maybe a hair more of them ever get watched, let alone re-watched and they just sit there rotting.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
For many people the joy is in the collecting, not how useful or functional something is. If you get great joy over collecting spoons, or clown figurines or whatever, you should have two words for those who criticize you and they are not “happy birthday”.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For many people the joy is in the collecting, not how useful or functional something is. If you get great joy over collecting spoons, or clown figurines or whatever, you should have two words for those who criticize you and they are not “happy birthday”.

Sure. To each his/her own.

There are, for sure, many people outside this hobby who would read this thread and not understand what the heck we're talking about.

I would hope that they would not want to throw stones at us, just like we shouldn't throw stones at others.

The point of this thread is to celebrate what it is about collecting movies that brings us together as a community...or to celebrate what it is about the movies that attracts us to collect them. It's not to point out that some people aren't doing it right.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
As long folks who feel they need to collect every movie they want to watch know that all that money will go in the trash one day, more power to them I say. I know I couldn't do it.
I don't know that my collection will be dumped in the garbage bin when I die. I have a nephew who loves old movies and he will inherit my collection. He will, I'm sure, get rid of some of it, but not by dumping it. He'll donate to the local library.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Given that I'll be dead when my stuff gets tossed in the garbage, I won't really care. If I'll be worried about anything, it'll be that I'm dead but I certainly won't care how much money I spent on movies, books and music that have greatly enriched my life for decades.
There you go, if it gives you great joy while you're living then what happens to your collection after you're gone doesn't really matter because you're dead.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As I've gotten older (and I'm only in my 40s so I don't know why I'm being fatalistic about things...) I've gotten to thinking about all my stuff when I'm gone. I'm not too old to start a family, but the older I get, the less likely it is that will happen.

Obviously if I do end up starting a family then they inherit everything and can do what they want. But if not, maybe at some point in my life when it's clear that children are no longer in the picture (and no, I don't plan on being a Hugh Hefner type new father in my 70s) I may work with a local library or charity to say "hey when I'm gone the stuff that has value can go to a collection--I have some rare novels and other knick knacks that would be considered valuable collectors items--those can be given to a library for say a special collections department, and the stuff that doesn't have archival value can be donated to a charity who can auction/garage sale/eBay them for profit." Or in the case of movies and my A/V equipment, donate them to an orphanage or a child care center for use for future generations of kids to enjoy.

Actually if I do end up childless at the end of my life, finding a good orphanage and childcare center and setting up a "theater room" for them built around my donations would be a fun thing to do, to my mind. I'd do the setup, wiring and calibration for free, obviously. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is from the OP of this thread:

Note of warning. This is NOT a thread about physical media vs. streaming vs. digital ownership. Any posts that start to take the thread in that direction will be edited/removed.

This IS a thread about why we love the movies so much and why we want to have them in our personal collections.

This is straightforward, yet it seems some members cannot help themselves...especially since I just tried to nip this in the bud a few posts ago.

A number of posts (just above this one) have now been removed and members have been banned from further participation in this thread. And if anyone wants to start a cry of "censorship!", there are MANY other opportunities on the forum in which that issue can be discussed and in which that discussion is appropriate and encouraged.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Why do I own so many movies?
Hopefully, I'll get closer to that answer after the next 100 purchases.;)

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As a gentleman (:lol:) of a certain age, I am of the generation who if we wanted to see a movie again had to wait till it showed up on TV (with commercials yet and often edited) or was brought back to theatres. In college (San Francisco State), I discovered revival houses and it was there I saw movies like Citizen Kane, Seven Samurai, Singin' In The Rain for the first time. It was also the first time that I saw Adventures Of Robin Hood in its original Technicolor after seeing it in B&W for many years on TV. But I was always at the mercy of TV scheduling (and usually at some ungodly hour) or the revival house repertoire. Back then, the idea of -gasp- actually owning a movie and seeing it anytime of day or night at my leisure was unthinkable! So today, when I look at my massive collection (I stopped counting after 6,500), I still get a tingle when I think, I own these movies. They're all mine! For a movie crazy kid growing up in the 50s and 60s, this was and is a dream come true. Now, I'm going to pinch myself again just to be sure I'm not dreaming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks