Why I Own So Many Movies.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Not to de-rail this thread, but FEP is one of my all-time favorite films, and definitely one of Nicholson's best performances. I re-watched FEP last year, but for the first time on Blu-ray. Incredible film.

IMHO Nicholson's best films came out during the late '60's - mid '70's era, i.e.: Easy Rider; The Last Detail; The King of Marvin Gardens; Chinatown; Five Easy Pieces; The Passenger; One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (and maybe some I missed). He was really on a roll during this time!

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Mike, when you have so many films, do you have relatives who think its time for you to get rid of them?

--James

Mike Frezon

Premium
My collection isn't a patch on many other members of this forum. But I think I would be surprised if there is a member of the HTF (who has a substantial disc collection) who hasn't gotten some attitude from family or close friends about said collection--especially in this day and age of streaming.

I am currently going through a substantial purge of my own collection (mostly removing older discs which have been upgraded...but also films which Peg and I both knew immediately would never get watched again. Lots of outright stinkers.). This process, meanwhile, has really re-opened my thinking about my collection. I love looking at my shelves and seeing all these great films. I also see discs still wrapped in plastic that I really need to get to (some of which will be first-time views).

And when Peg and I decide to have a "movie night" its great that I can pull a dozen extremely diverse titles for us to choose from.

Blu Eye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl
My collection isn't a patch on many other members of this forum. But I think I would be surprised if there is a member of the HTF (who has a substantial disc collection) who hasn't gotten some attitude from family or close friends about said collection--especially in this day and age of streaming.

I am currently going through a substantial purge of my own collection (mostly removing older discs which have been upgraded...but also films which Peg and I both knew immediately would never get watched again. Lots of outright stinkers.). This process, meanwhile, has really re-opened my thinking about my collection. I love looking at my shelves and seeing all these great films. I also see discs still wrapped in plastic that I really need to get to (some of which will be first-time views).

And when Peg and I decide to have a "movie night" its great that I can pull a dozen extremely diverse titles for us to choose from.
I too take pleasure in knowing I have shelves of films that can be watched at a whim.

I also recently culled some discs that I know I won't watch again. Trying to get ruthless with what films I decide to let go as I only want films in my collection that I know I am going to watch again and enjoy. Most of my recent cull were generally blind purchases and predominantly modern films say post 2000 with a few exceptions.

It's not easy though. I don't want to let go of a film and then later in life to realize it was a very good film that needs a rewatch only to find that movie is expensive to repurchase. That would annoy me.

Perhaps irrational I know. I have watched many films that are artistically brilliant and profound but I have no desire to watch them again as they were just not entertaining enough or maybe too depressing a subject to look at again.

Those types of films get culled but there are grey areas.

Once I have in my collection all the films I wish to have I am hoping it will be a lean choice of films without any that will never be watched again.

It is an ongoing process and always a complex one as my tastes in some types of movies change over time.

Paradoxically it does annoy me when I am looking through my collection and unsure what I want to watch due to way too much choice. That's why I think it is important to remove films from my collection that won't get a rewatch. I can imagine many on here with the same problem and probably to an extreme degree too.

When my collection gets close to fulfilment I will probably get a monthly streaming deal with Amazon or something and use it to watch new films and others that perhaps I was not sure about or not too enthusiastic about to purchase on disc.

I generally don't go out of my comfort zone when purchasing discs and buy films that I obviously think are going to be good and worth keeping. Genres I don't like I won't buy etc.

However, with streaming I would probably broaden my horizons.

Reactions: JamesSmith

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I too take pleasure in knowing I have shelves of films that can be watched at a whim.

Paradoxically it does annoy me when I am looking through my collection and unsure what I want to watch due to way too much choice. That's why I think it is important to remove films from my collection that won't get a rewatch. I can imagine many on here with the same problem and probably to an extreme degree too.
That's the problem I had last night: too much choice. I find it's best to decide on what film I want to watch, & then find it, otherwise there's just so many goodies, that I can't decide (I settled on Martin Scorsese's The Departed in the end).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Too much choice absolutely makes for difficult viewing choices. I've often spend a half hour or more selecting what I want to watch, especially if its in the unopened section. But there are also those times where I know *exactly* what I want and being able to pull it off the shelf to watch is very satisfying.

In the past month I've had 3 of the grandkids come in and ask for specific movies and TV shows because they'd been pulled from the streaming services their mom subscribes to. On every occasion I've been able to say "Yes, I have that." and pull it out for them to watch.

For those very reasons I love having a large collection - even if I do get occasional snide comments as to its size from my wife and some relatives (almost all of whom spend far more on hunting/fishing/sports than I do on movies).

Blu Eye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl
Too much choice absolutely makes for difficult viewing choices. I've often spend a half hour or more selecting what I want to watch, especially if its in the unopened section. But there are also those times where I know *exactly* what I want and being able to pull it off the shelf to watch is very satisfying.

In the past month I've had 3 of the grandkids come in and ask for specific movies and TV shows because they'd been pulled from the streaming services their mom subscribes to. On every occasion I've been able to say "Yes, I have that." and pull it out for them to watch.

For those very reasons I love having a large collection - even if I do get occasional snide comments as to its size from my wife and some relatives (almost all of whom spend far more on hunting/fishing/sports than I do on movies).
It could be important to keep some films when it comes to the streaming companies.

We recently had that Die Hard fiasco where I think Netflix pulled it because of being "politically incorrect" or something. Can't remember the exact reason now.

There will be more of that virtue signalling going foward by streaming businesses. I am also concerned about streaming companies editing the movies and removing key scenes that they might deem too racist or whatever. It's coming down the pike I have no doubt about it.

At least in your collection you know the audio and video quality is guaranteed and the film is shown as the creators intended.

Once the physical media business becomes a very niche market due to streaming I believe a lot of films will become very expensive to buy on disc. I think the market will get new demand at some point in the future when a lot of people realize they can't watch the films they want to watch on the streaming services and so decide to buy them on disc. This will push up demand and with what I believe a limited supply of certain films available the prices will go a lot higher.

The films that are very popular such as The Godfather, Marvel superhero films, Indiana Jones, The Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter and many others will be widely available on the streaming companies but films that are much lesser known will be removed from the services.

I don't see how a business is going to have thousands upon thousands of movies available to stream at a whim when it will be too expensive to have them all stored on servers. If they have a movie that has been watched 5 times in a year or something they will just remove it as there will be not enough demand to justify keeping it.

There is a possibility they could continue to make it available but at a cost. Maybe a one off fee of $40 to watch it despite the fact you pay a monthly subscription.

We are already starting to see this with Mulan recently costing $30 or more to watch.

Obviously that is a new film and a totally different dynamic but we will start to see more of it. It's basic supply and demand.

I have always known this was going to happen from the beginning but many still don't see it coming.

This is why I am trying to get my collection finished in the next few years of the movies I want to buy because it will get more harder and expensive going forward.

Blu Ray films are so cheap I can't believe it. 4k are fairly cheap too and prices are coming down for older releases. It's definitely a golden age not only for choice of films on physical media but also for price and quality.

Take advantage of it now while you still can.

You might regret it like not buying Bitcoin at $30.:)

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlramS