Why I Own So Many Movies.

Robin9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robin
That's why I still buy discs for films I know I'm going to watch several times. But most movies I tend to only watch once, so a rental is fine.
I can't argue with that!

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
But most movies I tend to only watch once, so a rental is fine.
I don't even bother doing this anymore for most recent/current films.

I can wait for such stuff to show up on basic cable or even network tv. It may not be "fresh" anymore two+ years later, but now I can see the actual film without any then-current hype from media coverage.

In the end for most stuff I wait 2+ years to watch in this manner, it turns out they were largely mediocre or outright crap. Not even a worthwhile $5 (or less) dump bin impulse buy bluray.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I don't even bother doing this anymore for most recent/current films.

I can wait for such stuff to show up on basic cable or even network tv. It may not be "fresh" anymore two+ years later, but now I can see the actual film without any then-current hype from media coverage.

In the end for most stuff I wait 2+ years to watch in this manner, it turns out they were largely mediocre or outright crap. Not even a worthwhile $5 (or less) dump bin impulse buy bluray.
If you don't want to own any movies any longer, isn't it strange to participate in a thread just for that purpose?;)

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Note "recent/current movies".

;)
Still, this thread is about "why I own so many movies" whether old and/or recent/current ones.:)

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
With all that being said, my disc purchases these days are mostly dvds of D-list (or lower) scifi movies released by bottom feeder movie companies/distributors such as The Asylum, etc ...

At $2 a pop (or less). (Such stuff isn't even released on bluray for many years).

Basically scifi stuff which is so horrible that they don't even show up on on basic cable channels.

benbess

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben
After slowing my buying of blu-rays during the past year to something close to zero, recently I've been on a buying binge. I've been rewatching my current collection at a pace of 1-2 movies a day during the quarantine, and I'm glad for the titles that are just sitting on the shelf waiting. Recently I've purchased 14 more Twilight Time blu-rays that should be delivered in the next week or so, and I have my eyes on some titles from Warner Archive and Criterion. Anyone have any guesses as to when the next Criterion sale might be? And does Warner Archive still do sales?

Reactions: Suzanne.S

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Ken S-B
Although I watch a lot of free-to-air movies (which I record on my PVR to skip the ads) plus a few streaming, I'm still buying Blu-rays. For one thing, picture quality is almost always better, plus I can watch them at leisure. If I buy a disc that's a bummer, I don't worry about waste of money because it's always cheaper than taking my wife to see the movie at a cinema.

Reactions: Suzanne.S

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2