What's new

Why I love 'Bottle Rocket'. (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think anything would top Rushmore. But now having seen The Royal Tenenbaums and Bottle Rocket, I think that both surpass it. The latter has some of the most unique, memorable characters I've seen on screen for a good long while. Since I first saw it a few months ago, I must have watched it at least 20 times. As good as the entire cast are, Owen Wilson stands out as the Dignan, the centre of the film, althought arguably, Luke Wilson's Athony is the main character. You genuinely hope Dignan's criminals dreams come to fruition. It's an amazing performance, and showcases Wilson's zany wit and charming child-like innocence amazingly well. His character is such a unlikely criminal, and yet he feels real, and fits the tone and themes of the film like a glove. It's no surprise, given the uniqueness of Dignan's character, that Wilson went on to play the cinema's only nice serial killer in The Minus Man.
It's filled with memorable, quotable dialogue:
"Who'd you get to do that. Did you bribe the janitor? Smart. Smart."
"He's out. You're out too. And I don't think I'm in either."
"I blew it man. I lost my touch man." "Did you ever have a touch to lose man?"
"You don't give a $500 tip to the housekeeper. That's inappropriate. That's inexcusable."
"She is a housekeeper. People are housekeepers."
"Bob's gone. He stole his car."
The score is amazing. It's so upbeat and bright. I can't remember hearing such a distinctive and appropriate score outside of an Anderson film. Anderson's now trademark collection of ofbeat tracks also complements the on-screen action perfectly.
There are a few things that don't feel quite right. Bob Maplethorp's relationship with his bullying brother seems forced and doesn't make much sense. Anthony's romance with Innes basically amounts to little, and theres a notable drop in energy whenever Dignan isn't on screen. But the final heist is so hilariously put together, and the final tender scene with Dignan, Bob and Anthony finshes of the film on such an unlikely high note. This is one hell of a film. Check it out NOW if you haven't yet. It's truly unmissable.
I hope the upcoming Criterion edition isn't just a rumor.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really hoping that I llke RT more than I did Rushmore. Bottle Rocket is my all time fav comedy, and I think my expectations were too high for Rushmore 'cause I was pretty letdown by that one.
Glad to hear that you liked RT better than Rushmore. I've not seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!
The quotability factor on Bottle Rocket is THROUGH the roof...pick a line, any line, and quote it. Go ahead, try it...it works! :) :) :)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Jon, love the sig. :D That one's being saved to the hard-drive. ;)
The Royal Tenenbaums is definitely better than Rushmore. Even though I did love the latter, you just can't beat Gene Hackman as a prick. :D
A couple of my favourite lines from those films are:
Rushmore:
Max: "You were in Vietnam if I'm not mistaken. Were you in the shit?"
Mr. Bloom: "Yeah I was in the shit." :laugh:
The Royal Tenenbaums:
Royal: "I'm sorry about your mother. She was a terribly attractive woman." :laugh:

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator
"You gotta get me one of those jumpsuits."

It does my heart god to know that other people love this film as much as I do.

Crossing fingers for the CC dvd (with original short film).

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
It's wierd, I LOVE Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums with a passion but have never seen Bottle Rocket. Thanks for your thoughts, I'm gonna go give this one a look-see.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Bottle Rocket is one of my all-time favorites. I like it more than Tenenbaums and Rushmore...and am also axiously awaiting a possible CC announcment.

...fingers crossed.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Brian, definitely check out BR. Only after seeing Rushmore in the theater did I search this guy out and I'm so glad I did. It's really hard for me to pick a fave of the three, but if I really had to, Tenenbaums would get the oh-so-slightest edge with the other two tied.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
david - you stole my favorite quote! :D
unfortunately, very few people get it when i yell out "ca-caw! ca-caw!" ;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Rushmore remains my fav of the 3 with RT coming in 2nd. I just find that for me Rushmore clicks on every single beat throughout the film while Bottle Rocket has it's pauses where it drops me a bit.

But all are good and those boys sure can write dialog.

Jeff Willy

Agent
Wonderful film. Great line:

Anthony: She [his grade-school sister] thinks I'm a failure
Dignan: What has she ever done with her life that's so great?

Jeff Willy

Agent
Oh yeah, and this one:

Dignan: Okay, now, before we divide the loot. Let me say one thing: Bob, gets the spirit award on this case.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I hope there will be a BR Criterion release! I LOVE that film...

But, I still think Rushmore is better. As Seth said, BR has its slow moments but Rushmore moves throughout and is a lot stronger.

They're still both great, as is RT. Anderson and Wilson are studs.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Bottle Rocket is favorite movie EVER.

It was all filmed very near where I live, I even drive by Bob's house on occasion.

I REALLY hope the criterion is true. I would love to see the short, if it was included.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
After Dignan persuades Anthony to get back in the car and they are driving, Anthony has a great, very hard to hear line while sitting in the back seat. It's during Bob's tirade against his brother. You know, the one that starts off with, "Take my brother, that's a shit situation. He beats me up all the time." Any way, Anthony is in the back seat and you hear him say, "Aww, that was a stop sign," as Bob barrels down the road. It cracks me up every single time.

If you don't agree that it's hilarious, then all I have to say to you is: BACKYARD, right now!

Pieter

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
david - you stole my favorite quote!
LOL. Just thinking about the scene outside the bar where Dignan is getting his butt kicked brings the smile to my face! My crew is right inside CA-CAW CA-CAW!:D Damn, now I have to go watch it again!

Jeff Willy

Agent
IMO, if anyone cares, Wes Anderson's movies are all top shelf, and they would be ranked thusly:
1) Rushmore
2) Royal Tenenbaums
3) Bottle Rocket
To be a writer/director and have Bottle Rocket as your worst film is just disgusting. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks