What's new

Why I don't like seeing films theatrically anymore (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What ever happened to "Cry Rooms" in theaters? When I was a kid many of the theaters had these. It was a small booth in the back of the theater with a large double-glass window on a sound proofed room that would hold 10-12 people. It had its own speaker and volume control with a door that opened into the hall or concession area. Have a crying baby or noisy kid? You went to the "Cry Room" with them. You still got to see the movie and no one else had to listen to your noise.
Never heard of these, but a great idea if theaters insist on admitting infants.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I guess I should mention that the last film I saw in a public theater was the first film of the LOTR trilogy back in 2001. That's 18 years ago.

View attachment 58139
There are three good places to pee during End Game ( I have seen it many times and believe these are the best times to duck out). The first is when the title says San Francisco, because nothing new is shown with Ant Man walking around catching up on what the audience already knows; the second is when the Hulk is having lunch, simply because there's a lull, and the third is when the New Jersey title comes on the screen. All you'll miss is nostalgia. So to say there are no pee breaks during the movie, while technically true, there are better spots to go.

I'm already on record saying episode IX will likely be my last trip to the theater.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I know I have mentioned this before, and it only works when you have a day off or are retired, but we take advantage of mid-week matinees. We usually go a couple of weeks after the movie premieres, and find that we, plus the other random couple or two that attend, have a peaceful experience.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
For the many reasons you guys have already listed, we don't go to movies (rare, rare exceptions) at commercials theatres anymore. Sometimes we're lucky enough to be 2 out of 5 people in the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood but we haven't been there in a year.
The reason I have gone to the trouble of building my home theatre is so I can wait for the Blu Ray and watch the movie in a quiet, clean environment.....my home. And while I'm waiting for the disc for the few movies I want to see I'll run BD's and 35mm films I've been collecting for many years. The picture and sound I produce rivals any movie theatre anywhere close to where we live in southern California......plus the popcorn is MUCH better.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know I have mentioned this before, and it only works when you have a day off or are retired, but we take advantage of mid-week matinees. We usually go a couple of weeks after the movie premieres, and find that we, plus the other random couple or two that attend, have a peaceful experience.

You know you bring up a very interesting point at a very interesting time in my life.

I am retiring in 6 weeks.

I don't know if those $10 a month movie passes are still in business, but for a matinee show, I would consider buying those monthly passes and going to the theater at a time when everyone else in the world is at work.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
What ever happened to "Cry Rooms" in theaters? When I was a kid many of the theaters had these. It was a small booth in the back of the theater with a large double-glass window on a sound proofed room that would hold 10-12 people. It had its own speaker and volume control with a door that opened into the hall or concession area. Have a crying baby or noisy kid? You went to the "Cry Room" with them. You still got to see the movie and no one else had to listen to your noise.
They went the same place as phone booths. You know - the place people used to go to make phone calls because they didn't want to disturb others and wanted to keep their private stuff private.<_<

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You know you bring up a very interesting point at a very interesting time in my life.

I don't know if those $10 a month movie passes are still in business, but for a matinee show, I would consider buying those monthly passes and going to the theater at a time when everyone else in the world is at work.
Stay away from those $10 a month movie subscriptions because they're not sustainable financially so they'll change the terms and eventually go bankrupt. If you have an AMC theater complex near you that has Dolby Cinema and IMAX theaters then you might want to try the A-List.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Stay away from those $10 a month movie subscriptions because they're not sustainable financially so they'll change the terms and eventually go bankrupt. If you have an AMC theater complex near you that has Dolby Cinema and IMAX theaters then you might want to try the A-List.

Thanks, Robert. I do have an AMC theater 5 minutes away. No mention of A-LIST on their webpage. I will Google it and see if I can find out more.

EDIT: Okay, here it is

https://www.amctheatres.com/amcstubs/alist

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks, Robert. I do have an AMC theater 5 minutes away. No mention of A-LIST on their webpage. I will Google it and see if I can find out more.
Again, the Dolby Cinema theaters are great. If you have one near you then it's worth visiting that type of theater as much as possible. I go to movie matinees all of the time as I can't stand crowds in my old age.:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Again, the Dolby Cinema theaters are great. If you have one near you then it's worth visiting that type of theater as much as possible. I go to movie matinees all of the time as I can't stand crowds in my old age.:)

Do they show matinees during the week? Seems like nobody would go. However, if they do, it's perfect for me. I might do this AMC A-List program.

Oh, and I have sat in a Dolby theater. It was those chairs and the immersive experience of "feeling" the movie, that enticed me to install bass shakers in my own theater.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do they show matinees during the week? Seems like nobody would go. However, if they do, it's perfect for me. I might do this AMC A-List program.

Oh, and I have sat in a Dolby theater. It was those chairs and the immersive experience of "feeling" the movie, that enticed me to install bass shakers in my own theater.
Yes, they do as I watched several movies in the mornings during weekdays.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This may actually get me back to the theater.

What is the price for A-LIST? $10 a month? Probably $20.
$10 a month is unsustainable financially for these companies. I think AMC's A-List which is three movies a week no matter the movie format is $22.99 a month in New Jersey along with New York, Connecticut and California with one state I'm missing.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll

Wait until you enter the secret private world of retired people! It runs from Monday to Friday from about 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Many fewer people are around, and instead of pimply faced adolescents behind the counter in most stores, an adult who actually knows the stock will greet you. You will learn to never leave the house after 4:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday will be unknown to you. In a total reversal, you will hate all holidays, because “they” are out there!

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I disliked going to the theater to see movies because people were so incredibly rude. The exceptions were a new James Bond film. Most of the other things I liked to see were usually at special showings or part of the Webster University Film Series. Recently, Fathom Events has been showing some great things. I was interested in several of the TCM Big Screen Classics. I went to a showing of Casablanca at Ronnie's. It used to be Wehrenberg but was recently bought out by Marcus.

Marcus has renovated the entire complex. They have added recliners and have assigned seating. They also do retro, classic and family film series. I love it! Earlier this year, they showed some Disney films. I expected the theater to be filled with rowdy kids each time. I saw The Little Mermaid on a Sunday afternoon. There were lots of families with small children, but everyone was well behaved and the whole experience was a pleasant one. I saw Lilo and Stitch on a Friday morning and had the same lovely experience. I've gone to the movies more in the last six months than I have the entire six years prior. Maybe assigned seating makes a difference. I don't know, but I am very happy to be able to go back to the movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wait until you enter the secret private world of retired people! It runs from Monday to Friday from about 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Many fewer people are around, and instead of pimply faced adolescents behind the counter in most stores, an adult who actually knows the stock will greet you. You will learn to never leave the house after 4:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday will be unknown to you. In a total reversal, you will hate all holidays, because “they” are out there!
Geez, I thought I was the only one anti-social towards the younger generations.;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Wow. That seems like ... paradise.

I work a midnight shift so I am not even used to daylight. I am looking forward to getting back to a normal daytime schedule.

I am thrilled for you and jealous at the same time. I have another 22 years and 8 months before I can retire.

Thank you. Hope it goes by as fast as it did for me -- and it does seem rather fast.

Actually, know when time slows down to a crawl? The day you set your retirement date. Between then and the actual date, every day is much slower and more cumbersome than you are used to. This is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks