What's new

Why I don't like seeing films theatrically anymore (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't believe he's suggesting that people aren't allowed to voice an opinion that differs from his, or that any disrespect was intended. I believe he was just emphasizing his opinion since it's in such complete disagreement with someone else's.
I'm sure Tony wasn't suggesting that, but probably wanted to understand why that poster thought it was so boring?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh for sure.

I know, like most of us here that we have our own thoughts onmovies.
In fact I don’t think The Shining is all that great a movie.
I don’t find it boring and also don’t think it is much more then silly.

It’s interesting to look at but it will never make my list of movies I like.

While Close might not be an exciting thrill ride I don’t see it as close to boring.

I’d like more info on the boring opinion.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Yeh for sure.

I know, like most of us here that we have our own thoughts onmovies.
In fact I don’t think The Shining is all that great a movie.
I don’t find it boring and also don’t think it is much more then silly.

It’s interesting to look at but it will never make my list of movies I like.

While Close might not be an exciting thrill ride I don’t see it as close to boring.

I’d like more info on the boring opinion.
I had read the book “The Shining” and remember seeing the movie first day. I was very disappointed with the deviations from the written word, especially replacing the animal topiaries, which come to life in the book, with a hedge maze at the end. I guess they were unable to do the special effects needed. I have avoided it ever since.

With “Close Encounters” I am taken back to the huge ice cold air conditioned theatre where I saw it that summer, whenever I see it now, and the sense of wonder I felt. Though, when it came back and played with extra footage and we finally got to see the inside of the ship, my wife and mother-in-law did not like it at all. I focus on the alien visitors. They saw Richard Dreyfus as a terrible obsessed man who abandoned his family. They wondered what kind of an irresponsible nut would go into a alien space ship and go away with them?

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had read the book “The Shining” and remember seeing the movie first day. I was very disappointed with the deviations from the written word, especially replacing the animal topiaries, which come to life in the book, with a hedge maze at the end. I guess they were unable to do the special effects needed. I have avoided it ever since.

I had similar feelings about The Shining after seeing it for the first time in the theater -- I had loved the book, and was especially fascinated by those animal topiaries, so was disappointed that they were not in the film. Upon later reflection, I realized it was probably beyond the special effects capabilities at that time, so came to accept the change.

Over time, though, I came to appreciate the film as something separate from the novel. I know that Stephen King was not a fan of how Kubrick treated his story, but I now just consider them separate, distinct works and I can better appreciate both.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim

Though the original 1980 The Shining film is the most iconic, note that there was also a Cable TV mini-series (re-make) circa 1997. Though I didn't find it nearly as powerful/disturbing as the '80 version, the effects had improved considerably in the intervening years - so the "hedge" monsters did come to life in this version. Somewhat impressive - by late '90's standards, that is. This '97 version is on DVD, though that may be OOP at this point.

With “Close Encounters” I am taken back to the huge ice cold air conditioned theatre where I saw it that summer, whenever I see it now, and the sense of wonder I felt. Though, when it came back and played with extra footage and we finally got to see the inside of the ship, my wife and mother-in-law did not like it at all. I focus on the alien visitors. They saw Richard Dreyfus as a terrible obsessed man who abandoned his family. They wondered what kind of an irresponsible nut would go into a alien space ship and go away with them?

Hilarious! I never thought of the film in this way, but I guess it makes sense that some people may think this - LOL.

Last edited:

RickyH

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
The last time I attended a modern theater was 2011 for "Hugo". Fortunately, we have a Martin Theater in the downtown area that was built in 1936 that shows classic movies, live performances, etc.. that I go to often. It's being repaired from last year's hurricane damage, but hopefully will re-open soon.
martin theater.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The last time I attended a modern theater was 2011 for "Hugo". Fortunately, we have a Martin Theater in the downtown area that was built in 1936 that shows classic movies, live performances, etc.. that I go to often. It's being repaired from last year's hurricane damage, but hopefully will re-open soon.
View attachment 64328
We have something similar in our hometown - - the Penn Theater. It closed for awhile, and seemed fated to be torn down, but a non-profit group was formed which bought the theater. It's "employees" are volunteers, all seats are $3, the "cash register" is an old cigar box, and you get old style tickets. I remember going there as a youngster to see my first film in a theater - - a reshowing of Snow White probably around 1966 or '67.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Though, when it came back and played with extra footage and we finally got to see the inside of the ship, my wife and mother-in-law did not like it at all. I focus on the alien visitors. They saw Richard Dreyfus as a terrible obsessed man who abandoned his family. They wondered what kind of an irresponsible nut would go into a alien space ship and go away with them?
Spielberg himself has said that he would not have made a film about a man abandoning his family once he became a family man himself. One's perspective changes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The argument could be made that the wife abandoned her husband first.

When I watched the movie with my (then-girlfriend, now) wife, that sparked a conversation between us about trust. And we agreed that if we found ourselves in a similar situation of witnessing something unexplainable, that maybe we would struggle to accept the exact explanation that one of us came up with if there wasn’t a clear answer, but that we would not doubt that one or the other saw something profoundly unexplainable even if we didn’t buy the guess at an explanation. We’d support each other.

Dreyfuss’s family in the film doesn’t even seem to like him even before all of this starts up. He finds himself in crisis, and rather than trying to understand or at least offer support, she’s quick to judge and yell. Even if it turned out that there were no aliens and he was having a mental breakdown, that doesn’t excuse for me the lack of compassion she demonstrates.

Meanwhile, a profound intelligence has asked him to represent all of the species in a fantastic journey. Is that really so different than being asked to serve your country? I don’t know if I would have accepted the invitation. But if I’m being asked to represent our entire species on a mission of profound importance, I don’t think I could automatically say no.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Dreyfuss’s family in the film doesn’t even seem to like him even before all of this starts up. He finds himself in crisis, and rather than trying to understand or at least offer support, she’s quick to judge and yell. Even if it turned out that there were no aliens and he was having a mental breakdown, that doesn’t excuse for me the lack of compassion she demonstrates.

Meanwhile, a profound intelligence has asked him to represent all of the species in a fantastic journey. Is that really so different than being asked to serve your country? I don’t know if I would have accepted the invitation. But if I’m being asked to represent our entire species on a mission of profound importance, I don’t think I could automatically say no.

Agreed. If I were the Dreyfuss character in CEOTTK, I'd leave that evil b#%@h behind too - good riddance ;)

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
There may be some residual feelings of, "Nothing ever happens when I complain, so why bother?" Some people just feel defeated on that front. I know I often do. On top of that, with reserved stadium seating and larger multiplexes that are often understaffed, getting up to complain may mean climbing over a dozen or more people in the middle of the movie, searching a vast, empty lobby for someone to help, and then hoping that that person will understand your complaint and be in a position to do something about it.

I think this pretty much sums it up for me. Commercial theaters are large faceless businesses. Like Wal-Mart, Comcast etc., they don't really need to care about the experience or concerns of any individual, only the masses. Mathematically its cheaper to just lose the minority of customers who would actually have the gall to expect decent service and quality since they can be easily replaced by more members of the masses.

As an enthusiast, when I sit down to view a film I have certain expectations regarding the environment and quality that the masses could likely care less about. I realize this and so I automatically feel out of place in commercial theaters. When the time is right, [especially in your case] I can promise you building out your own home theater will be an investment you won't regret.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. If I were the Dreyfuss character in CEOTTK, I'd leave that evil b#%@h behind too - good riddance ;)

Sadly I have know people in real life with wives liked that. Very controlling, and mean if the husband didn't follow their lead. And I have seen a situation with a abusive husband as well. Marriage can be frightening if you pick the wrong mate.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from a screening of 2001 at an old 1 screen movie palace. The movie started and the commentary track started playing. I went to the lobby and complained, they didn't seem to understand what I was talking about even though you could hear the commentary track from the lobby. Fortunately other people complained and they fixed the problem sometime between the MGM logo appearing and the main title card.

This isn't a permanent setup (There was a concert in the same space last night) so there should have been a technician on duty. How could they not have somebody monitoring the beginning of the only event taking place today in that theater?

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I think this pretty much sums it up for me. Commercial theaters are large faceless businesses. Like Wal-Mart, Comcast etc., they don't really need to care about the experience or concerns of any individual, only the masses. Mathematically its cheaper to just lose the minority of customers who would actually have the gall to expect decent service and quality since they can be easily replaced by more members of the masses.

As an enthusiast, when I sit down to view a film I have certain expectations regarding the environment and quality that the masses could likely care less about. I realize this and so I automatically feel out of place in commercial theaters.

Exactly! This is one of the reasons I hate seeing films theatrically, and strongly prefer watching films in the comfort of my own home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks