Why I Don't Like Cable Companies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greg_lee, Jun 19, 2002.

1. greg_lee

greg_lee Extra

hello, where can i buy a scientific atlanta explorer 2100 or 3100 cable box cheap?
    i need to buy 2 or 3 because the rent on them is too much [​IMG]
    any web sites or people selling them?
    thanks

2. AdamO

AdamO Extra

Try eBay

3. greg_lee

greg_lee Extra

Hi, i wanted to add my own cable box to my account but the cable company said no. They said i would have to rent theirs regardless. That is bull and i want to use my own.

i already have my own cable box (same model they use) but they do no want to activate it.

Are they required to have you rent their boxes. Is there any kind of laws against that. please help me. thanks you

4. greg_lee

greg_lee Extra

Hi, i wanted to add my own cable box to my account but the cable company said no. They said i would have to rent theirs regardless. That is bull and i want to use my own.

i already have my own cable box (same model they use) but they do no want to activate it.

Are they required to have you rent their boxes. Is there any kind of laws against that. please help me. thanks you

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I don't see how they can make you rent their box. But then cable companies do suck, and they tend not to listen to simple "laws & regulations." I was under the impression that forcing us to use cable boxes was going to become illegal, although I highly doubt that will ever happen.

In my neck of the woods (which is run by Comcast) they "let us" rent the cable box, the remote, and also subscribe us to their monthly magazine once you get the cable service. You have the option to cancel one of these monthly rentals, but most people in the area aren't even aware they are renting the remote. This is just another example of how those corporate fat cats like to get mess with Joey Joe Joe Shaba-do Jr.

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hey Greg,

Does your Comcast service cable boxes (analog) feature anything other than simple coax for input/output?

Thanks
    Paul

7. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

8. greg_lee

greg_lee Extra

nah, i have charter and i use scientific atlanta boxes

they said that it won't work with their systems. but its the same box!

any cable guys out there?

9. Brian D Scott

Brian D Scott Stunt Coordinator

Is satellite an option for you? I ditched my cable months back and haven't looked back since. I got the equipment and install for free, six months of HBO and Cinemax for free, and the quality is leaps and bounds above cable. And yes, I do get local channels as well!

10. Merrill

Merrill Extra

greg_lee:

Here in Phoenix we are allowed to purchase our own cable modem. They have to be registered with the cable company (they wanted the SN and MAC address) but were OK with us owning.

Have you tried several times? If I don't get the answer I am looking for, I usually hang up and dial again to get someone else. Also, make them show you (or fax you) the portion in the contract the limited you ability to own your own modem.

Good Luck

11. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Greg,

What happens if you hook up the cable box you have? Does it work at all? They might tell you it won't work but that doesn't mean anything... My cable company tells me I need 2 cable boxes to get PIP.

12. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

i agree,thats the same problem im having,they really do have consumers by the cojones!

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Thread title edited to be more "temperate". Thread merged with duplicate created in Audio/Video Sources.