1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Why I do not redeem those free digital movies.

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by TJPC, Jan 22, 2019.

1. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    Ok, this is a typical example. I have been buying Blu rays for years now, and most come with a card for a “free digital download”. Every 6 months or so, I have tried to do this, and end up giving up in disgust.

Today I was at the computer and decided to try again when I was entering the title of the Blu ray for “Skyscraper” into my database.
    The card that came with the set tells you to go on to the Universal website and type in the code. I did so, and it immediately took me to the “Google Play” website.

There I was told to sign up. I must have typed my e-mail, name, etc. etc. at least 3 times before it was accepted and they gave me a g-mail address and sent a code to my phone.

Finally I was all set! The movie was there. I pushed play, and a pop up told me my flash drive was out of date! It’s an old computer, so I didn’t bother, and instead decided to download the Google play app on my phone, as they suggest. Something was wrong with this, because it took over an hour.

When I finally had the app, I typed in my e-mail address and password. “Skyscraper” is not there, and there is nothing in my library! I guess it is time to give up again.

Robin9 likes this.
  2. JQuintana

JQuintana Screenwriter

Johnny
    Wow, sorry for all your bad luck with the code set up.

I've had zero issues when I do it. My friend who is my age but is a crotchety old man when it comes to tech (hates smart phones and other things like that) also hates streaming so he gives me all his codes. It takes like a minute to pull up the app and I just hit "Redeem" and plug in the code and BAM!, I have a library of movies to watch via multiple apps or directly on my 4K Roku TV, all in glorious 4K or "regular" HD.

Works like a charm.

Tino and Scott Merryfield like this.
  3. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    There aren't the same options in Canada as there are in the U.S. I only redeem the codes if they're iTunes compatible, otherwise I don't bother.

Sean Thompson likes this.
  4. JQuintana

JQuintana Screenwriter

Johnny
    That stinks.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Is the a Canada thing? Now that I do redeem codes, it's easy:

Go to MoviesAnywhere. Login with 1Password (because I'm not an animal who logs in manually ;) ). Redeem code. Takes about a minute.

If that doesn't work, I read the card more carefully to see if it's a non-MA source and go to their specific site. Then it's more annoying.

But Skyscraper is in MA, so it shouldn't be annoying.

Some people go through a more involved process to optimally redeem every code from the best specific site for that particularly movie. Kudos to them. I don't do that. I'm pretty tech savvy. But the streaming movie industry broke my mind and I gave up. Go to MA. Redeem Code.

6. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    The codes in Canada are problematic. It is almost impossible to get them to work properly. I must have hundreds of unclaimed codes by now. Either we can’t access the website, or everything seems ok but you can never find the movie. I don’t bother anymore, but I have only been successful twice.

7. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    Movies Anywhere isn't available in Canada.

DaveF likes this.
  8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Ah. That's a bummer!

9. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    If you are buying your discs from the U.S. and shipping them to Canada, the codes generally will not work. If you're in Canada and buying Canadian versions of the discs ( which generally means bilingual packaging and not much else ) those codes will work just fine. But Warner U.S. code will not redeem in Canada, for example, and vice-versa.

10. David Norman

David Norman Producer

This sounds like a post I made in one of the early UV or digital threads when Warner had their own, Sony/Universal/Lionsgate/Paramount/Fox, etc all had their own sites plus Itunes, VUDU. Flixster and I tried to sit down and figure it all out.

I ended up with about 10 accounts and passwords and about 2 movies that I never could watch or redeem over about 3 days and gave up for years.

When both my kids were away at way Out of state colleges, I finally went back in 2014 or so once UV seemed to have tamed most of the redemption issues, I was able to make a bunch/lot/ton of Digital redemptions via cheap Disc to Digital redemptions (with some VUDU deal I was getting a digital for 0.25-50 ea), VUDU allowed sharing and finally got a bunch of things redeemed, but only about 80% of the items redeemed in one place and sometimes you still had to run around to other sites to redeem the rest.

At least for a while I had a library that at least somebody could use. Then DMA came along in 2015 and would redeem but not share on VUDU, then MA replaced DMA, then VUDU grandfathered sharing so new email addresses could be added, and now UV is going away so expectation are that any sharing ability will as well.

The weird thing is I seem to be able to redeem many CANADIAN digitals in the US via VPN/FLIXSTER/UV easier than folks in Canada are.