What's new

Why I could never be a movie reviewer (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I was going through my horribly unupdated 2002 movie list and came to a simple conclusion: I could never review movies because I can find the good just about anything.
From early on in my movie viewing career, I would fill my eyes and brain with anything available. I learned how to see a movie from so many perspectives (as genre trash, as important art, as summer popcorn fare, as serious drama, as gritty low budget horror) that it would take a rare film to completely disappoint me.
I was sitting here thinking that I really enjoyed the House, Ghoulies, and Critters series so much that there must be something wrong with me.
Off the top of my head, only a handful of films have really disgusted me, and most of them have Freddie Prinze Jr in them. I mean, I hated Rollerball, Wing Commander, Driven. But I could watch Gun Shy (mmmmm, Proctology and Sandy, great combo), Pearl Harbor, and Planet of the Apes(2001) and still find something worthwhile in them.
Does anyone else find them self overly accepting of films in general or (gulp)have such low standards that anything is okay?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, sit back and enjoy. Why wish you didn't like films you do? I have the opposite problem in a sense. There are films that I realize are very well done and artistic that I know I should like, but they just bore the hell out of me, and I have no desire to see them ever again.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
There are films that I realize are very well done and artistic that I know I should like, but they just bore the hell out of me, and I have no desire to see them ever again.
Hmmmm.....I wonder what one of these highly praised magnificent movies could be???? Hmmmmm...
I try to be open minded about movies and enjoy them. Even if I don't consider them to be great, or even very good, I can enjoy many movies. The most recent example, I really enjoyed Heathers!
Like Alex, I can also sit down with my wife and get some enjoyment out of watching Pearl Harbor although I do not consider it to be a very good movie.
All that being said, I still wouldn't have a problem being critical of movies that I may have gotten enjoyment out of and pointing out the faults with them.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I worked at theaters from June '91 until September of last year and saw EVERY single movie that played for free, and I STILL can't write a movie review. The only opinions I can give on most movies after I saw them was it was either great, OK, boring, or bad. After seeing a lot of movies it ends up taking a lot to impress you, the funny thing is a lot of movies that stood out for me got trashed by the critics. I thought "Get Over It" was amazing (especially the production design), having seen it the night before it started playing, but the reviews I read afterwards didn't agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks