Why I could never be a movie reviewer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Spindler, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I was going through my horribly unupdated 2002 movie list and came to a simple conclusion: I could never review movies because I can find the good just about anything.
    From early on in my movie viewing career, I would fill my eyes and brain with anything available. I learned how to see a movie from so many perspectives (as genre trash, as important art, as summer popcorn fare, as serious drama, as gritty low budget horror) that it would take a rare film to completely disappoint me.
    I was sitting here thinking that I really enjoyed the House, Ghoulies, and Critters series so much that there must be something wrong with me.
    Off the top of my head, only a handful of films have really disgusted me, and most of them have Freddie Prinze Jr in them. I mean, I hated Rollerball, Wing Commander, Driven. But I could watch Gun Shy (mmmmm, Proctology and Sandy, great combo), Pearl Harbor, and Planet of the Apes(2001) and still find something worthwhile in them.
    Does anyone else find them self overly accepting of films in general or (gulp)have such low standards that anything is okay?

2. John Randolph

John Randolph Stunt Coordinator

I have the EXACT same problem. Anyone have any suggestions to improve this?

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Yeah, sit back and enjoy. Why wish you didn't like films you do? I have the opposite problem in a sense. There are films that I realize are very well done and artistic that I know I should like, but they just bore the hell out of me, and I have no desire to see them ever again.

4. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I worked at theaters from June '91 until September of last year and saw EVERY single movie that played for free, and I STILL can't write a movie review. The only opinions I can give on most movies after I saw them was it was either great, OK, boring, or bad. After seeing a lot of movies it ends up taking a lot to impress you, the funny thing is a lot of movies that stood out for me got trashed by the critics. I thought "Get Over It" was amazing (especially the production design), having seen it the night before it started playing, but the reviews I read afterwards didn't agree.