What's new

Why I am psyched for Return of the Jedi on dvd eventually... (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Return of the Jedi:
- Speeder Bike Race
- Leia in Gold Bikini
- Jabba the Hutt
- Awesome Space Battle
:)
All very good stuff, especially for a 14 yr old kid who waited desperately for his dad to take him...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The second Death Star is most defintely not a sign of creative bankrutpcy. The second Death Star showed just how tyrannical the Empire was.
I think you missed Lou's point. Yes, we wanted it shown that the Empire was ruthless, but Lucas should have come up with something more creative than rehashing the Death Star to do so. After all, the rebels had clearly shown that the DS had a fatal weakness (which was demonstrated AGAIN in ROTJ). How about coming up with something different to have to deal with?

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
What I really like in ROTJ is when the Falcon enters the core of the death star. I saw the post production film when they exploded the death star core. The model looked so small. But when you see the Falcon go from the tunnel to the core area, it looks so vast. I also liked the explosion as the Falcon re-enters the tunnel to escape. Most impressive.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Thank you Tom_G for your comments on sequels, especially T2. I have many times before talked about my disgust for this film so I won't go into it now.
As far as Jedi goes, I feel it is by far the worst movie in the saga. It is the only film in the series that I only watched once on the big screen. After a three year wait I sat in the theater bored silly. I have since learned to like about 40% of it. I agree with the above statements regarding Harrison Ford's acting. Carrie Fisher looks out of it also. C-3PO says in the first film that he is only an interpreter and not good at telling stories. Well I guess he learned pretty quickly because he entertains the Ewoks fairly well. People complain about the fart/stepping in crap jokes in TPM but Jedi has all these burping jokes that are just as bad. Special effect wise I think the whole Jabba part of the film fails. Jabba looks terrible, his stupid muppet friends look stupid. What's up with torturing the droids? There are many other things that just don't work.
Ok, as far as the things that I do like. Basically most scenes with Luke are good. My all time favorite scene in the whole saga so far is when Luke and Vader talk outside the walker. Very powerful scene. As well as their final duel, especially when he says "I won't fight you father". The speeder bike chase is very exciting. The final space battle is also excellent. I also love when Luke sets Vader's body on fire, unfortunately it then pans up to stupid fireworks set off which blows that scene.
I honestly feel that most people here love this film so much because it was the first Star Wars film they saw on the big screen. The have the fond memories of it.
Overall I would rate it a C.
------------------

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood why people were so down on Return of the Jedi. It's a highly underrated movie.
Jeffrey, is there anything that Disney, Lucasfilm, or Nintendo ever coughed up that you don't think is the greatest thing in the world?
biggrin.gif

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I love the Jabba stuff from ROTJ, though I can't see the need for a music video in the middle of it, but it's tolerable. Plus, I agree with the whole space battle scene. I know if I were a pilot in that situation, I would get too confused and just hide in a corner.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 24, 2001 at 03:57 PM]

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Lou Sytsma,
Ewoks - a foreshadowing of the kiddie element that Lucas has continued in TPM.
I totally agree! Lucas even added more kiddie things to the ANH S.E. to make more seamless.
The Best part of Jedi for me was the Vader & Luke parts, even the Emperor was a little too toned down for me. His teasing taunts seemed a tad to childish.
------------------
norm.jpg

Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Just because a movie "starts it all" doesn't make it the best. The Godfather Part II, Road Warrior and Terminator 2 were all superior to their predecessors.
I'll agree with you on the first two, but there's no way I'd agree about T2! The original Terminator is far better in just about every category except for the special effects and the soundtrack. I think T2 is way overrated and The Terminator is way underrated, but that's just my opinion.
Jeff

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Michael*K,
Are you going to provide me with examples? Or, did you make that statement without giving it any thought?
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks