What's new

why I am getting the avr-8000 (1 Viewer)

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
several years ago I had an opportunity to get a lexicon mc1, it was the best system I have ever heard for movies mostly due to it implementation of logic7. I had a hard time justifying keeping it though....it actually scared me having 6000.00 plugged into the wall..lol so I sold it thinking I would'nt miss it terribly much. well I have not been satisfied since...logic 7 is the end all for home theater to me and when the avr-8000 came down to a price I could realistically afford and feel good about I had to get one. I don't have it quite yet but its on the way and finally logic7 will be gracing the Bass household once more :)

JackS

Supporting Actor
Scott- Of all the receivers available today, this one would also be my choice. A few years ago, I came very close to buying the AVR-7000. To my mind, no receiver will compare favorably to this receiver. Looking forward to a short report from you in the coming weeks. Best of luck, Jack

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
well I could be wrong about this but my thinking is if the retail price is over a thousand dollars cheaper then the 8000 should have higher build quality...I say should but its a guess, other than that It seems the ex mode was the only difference other than a few watts here and there lol it seems by the time the 7200 gets here either one could be had for virtually the same price....I personally think harmon kind of screwed up for not differentiateing the different flavors of logic 7....I mean logic 7 im sure sounds great on the two channel sources of the cheaper hk's but where it really shines is overlapping 5.1 which owners of the cheaper hk's really don't realize that harmon left the best part out.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Greg- I would agree, but HT components also go the way of personal computers: smaller, faster, cheaper (more memory, etc)...
I am also hoping that the 7200 is *smaller* than the 8000. The 8000 is 20" deep, and that's too big for my rack. The 7200 is rumored to include L7 for 5.1 sources, even though the 7000 didn't. Oh, the 7200 also has Outlaw's/Cirrus Logic's triple crossover. Time will tell. :)

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
The 7200 is the small size and weight as the AVR 8000. Some differences:
75 Amps as opposed to 85 Amps
Less wattage
Improved component video switching (50Mhz as opposed to 30Mhz).
See the detailed specs from H/K's site:
Detailed Specs 7200

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
All this wandering makes you think harmon's marketing dept must all be asleep lol I still find it hard to believe they let logic7's ability on the 8000 be an easter egg for consumers to find. and now everyone is left to speculate about the 7200 also.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
a question about the component bandwidth....what dtermines the bandwidth...I dont need the swtching right now but I was curious how hard it would be to upgrade this part of the 8000. also I am curious if the osd is available through component on the 7200...its not on the 8000

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I suspect highly that the 7200 will be capable of overlaying L7 over a 5.1 source. I've seen pics on AVS that show the 7200 overlaying L7 onto a 5.1 source (DVD, COAX) with a 7 speaker setup. -gh
See pics:
AVS Forum Post w/Pics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks