What's new

Why Home Theater Magazine is worthless drivel (1 Viewer)

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I read SGHT, S&V, & TPV. The best is TPV, followed by SGHT, then S&V. I think some of the comments about some of the mags are kind of harsh. I have seen bad reviews in both SGHT and S&V(remember the Marantz 7200 review). All of these products are aimed at slightly different markets and all of them provide some useful information. I never did like HTM or their flippant attitude. I read AV interiors for a while but didn't find much substance in it. I realize that these magazines are not THE final word on equipment, or software but by reading all of them and visiting this site I can form some sort of an opinion about things. I can also get useful information from some of their technical articles- I always find David Ranada a good read. Feel free to disagree with me, alot of people do.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Jack: It's purely a medium and convenience thing. The rise of the Internet has made print obsolete for me (with the exception of books). All that matters to me is the information, and I have it without bothering with mail, newstands, or accumulated paper. With DSL, I'm connected throughout the day, and have access to any number of periodicals. With respect to audio/video, I can read some of the nice, literate articles by the magazine writers online, but the stark truth is that they rarely convey more useful information to me than I can glean from reading online forums (for example, the amount of technical information posted about CRTs and PC-based DVD players at AV Science is incredible, and FAR beyond what I've seen in any print publication, not to mention the enormous feedback in HTF about hardware and software). It's a pet peeve of mine that the quality of writing is sometimes so bad on the forums, but that's just a nitpicky thing that doesn't interfere with the information obtained.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Anyone remember the articles in HTM written by "GeeGawd"? I think it was Corey Grenberg's alter ego, but I just never "got it". Anyone care to explain?
Their REVIEWS are a joke. The first LONG paragraph is always devoted to some irrelavent analogy: "Everyone once in a while, one feels the need to purchase a snow plow and replace their old trusty snow plow...... This new xxx receiver can BE that snow plow"....
So I'm not the only one that is irked by this cliched hack writing style :) HTM SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane Acker

Agent
I used to read HTM a few years ago and can honestly say that it was one of the things that got me into home theater seriously. At the time it was informative and funny. I agree that the mag changed alot when Brent Butterworth left. I think that all magazines are are biased by their advertisers. They can't print the magazine in the first place without them so they will all pay lip service. If you go into reading a magazine knowing that you can enjoy and learn from what you read.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks