What's new

Why have full range speakers? Everybody just sets the crossover to 80hz anyways! (1 Viewer)

RobD

Second Unit
Lewis,

Thanks for all your help. I managed to contact Mordaunt Short yesterday and they are sending me a test CD so I can set the "Notch Filter" to remove the ballooning bass that seems to occasionally occur (Matrix Reloaded). Interestingly the Mordaunt Short guy recommended large front and no sub settings also but mentioned that THX settings quite often work best with a THX amp for movies. Also mentioned some upcoming high end speakers from MS and gave some advice on integrating a large sub.

I find that while the large and no sub setting is slightly better for music, the all small with sub setting is better for most movies. In the end I settled on the setting at all small because it puts less strain on the amp. All I need now is a sound meter.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Good deal Rob.
but mentioned that THX settings quite often work best with a THX amp for movies.
This is a marketing line to me.
THX amp is really like any other amps,there are some specifications that they have to meet like:power output,distorsion limit,stuff like that,nothing that any other amps can't do.So it's really a "sticker" if you ask me.However THX certified speakers and processors are different "animals" all togheter,they really serve a purpose.
Anyhow you're on a good track keep me posted.

RobD

Second Unit
Sorry I was unclear I meant integrated amp. I not certain why but in Europe normally the highest end recievers are normally sans tuner and hence integrated amps, its probably because we have so much digital radio available here but it comes through so many different sources that the manufacturer cant assume you use DAB.

There is one more thing that worries me slightly about the front settings large and no sub. That is I read that the L/R channels have limited bandwidth and adding the lfe and other speakers bass in the digital domain can sometimes top out this bandwidth. The LFE however has the same bandwidth for just bass and hence this is much less likely to topout bandwidth when additional bass is routed to the LFE. Some high end processor for this reason combine bass in the analog domain further along the signal path to avoid this problem.

The other thing Im considering is an outboard crossover, to feed the lower bass to my Rel Q200 sub and the rest to my 502 subs but I need to sort out the rest first.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The other thing Im considering is an outboard crossover, to feed the lower bass to my Rel Q200 sub and the rest to my 502 subs but I need to sort out the rest first.
I didn't realize you had a standalone sub.In that case run mains "large" and sub "yes".Set the sub's own crossover to it's highest or if it's defeatable set it "off".Let the receiver do all the low/high pass filtering, aka: bass managment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks