What's new

Why has my anti-perspirant stopped working? (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
After Mitchum inexplicably failed me, I've switched to Arm and Hammer, and it seems to be working fine, although I haven't put it to the test in school yet, which is where the Mitchum always seemed to give up.

Mike H

Stunt Coordinator
Have you started exercising lately? The more the glands get used, the better they work. Also the stress may have kicked them into overdrive, and they've been working harder ever since.

Mike

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Rob, sorry to hear about your friend. :frowning:
The website is a very nice tribute. We read the same "Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep" poem at my fathers funeral a few years back.
Take care,
Mike

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I'd not heard that verse before. Needless to say it cut me up hearing it read out at the service. It's a nice way to think of someone.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I remember trying severl AP's years ago and none of them did anything. Then oddly, I tried Speeds Stick normal deodorant, and it's worked perfectly for me for years. Funny how a deodorant can work and an AP can't.
I had the same experience. I used to sweat right through AP's and then heard about how bad the aluminum in AP is for you and went to a straight Deodorant.

I now sweat less WITHOUT the AP agents and with JUST the deodorant.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I actually did start lifting weights recently, so maybe that has something to do with it!! I've also significantly dropped my Coca-Cola consumption.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
wow, this thread is perfect for my problem...I've been using Degree Spectrum (formerly degree ultra dry) for 4+ yrs and it hasn't worked for over a year...pit stains the size of basketballs! I think I'm gonna move on to Arm&Hammer after reading this thread. BTW, lifting may have something to do with it b/c building the upper body creates deeper armpits which may harness the heat. At least, that's been my experience.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't use anti-perspirant. I haven't used anti-perspirant since I was a teenager. Anti-perspirants use metals to stop your body from doing what it does naturally. There's no reason to stink, I use deoderant. Nothings perfect, so you'll still smell. I'd prefer not to put metals under my arms to be absorbed into my glands and stop a natural process. Oh well, just my opinion.
:)

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure I've read articles debunking the "antiperspirants are bad for you" theories. Could be wrong, though.

I have the same problem as several people in this thread - no body odor problems, but I still sweat. I've been using Sure Advantage for a few years, and it's effectiveness seems to be waning.

Here's a related question - I've been trying to quit smoking on and off for a while now, going a few weeks at a time without smoking before lighting up again. Whenever I smoke, I perspire much more than I do when I'm not smoking. I don't have to be doing anything strenuous or stressful, I still turn into a human water sprinkler. What's the deal with that?

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
anti-persps. must be bad for you b/c i just switched to arm/hammer ultramax and my arms still get soaking wet. I even shampoo and wash my arrmpits thouroughly. I quit.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Kind of odd that this thread has popped up to the top again.

I've tried several APs over the past couple of months and never really got anywhere with them (some of the ones mentioned here don't seem to be available in the UK). I know that anxiety/stress is a major contributing factor in all of this, but it's a vicious circle.

This week I've tried another one called Triple Dry. This is another one of those ones you apply at night, then wash normally in the morning an use your standard AP. Seems to work well so far. After a couple of night's application I'm back to my former dry self again.

I'm thinking also, that my regular swimming played some role in this. When I first changed APs about a year ago I was swimming 3-5 times a week for 1km each session. When the AP failed at the end of last summer, I had curtailed that right down due to me being off work with a bad back. Perhaps the chlorinated water water was having some positive effect? Or maybe even just the regular exercise. Oh well, I'll be hitting the pool again soon but in the meantime, Triple Dry seems to be doing the trick (and I get no itching at all).

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Cees has part of it. My first thought was - what have you changed in your eating habits? That is a major factor here.
In my younger days (many, many moons ago) a lot of people that I knew said that Oriental people stank, but it was just because of their diet of rice and fish.
Also, and this varies greatly, your body just might have gone through a 'change'. I gained over ten pounds in one month only because my metabolism decided to slow down a little.
But having never used either a stick or a spray, I'll stop here. :)
Glenn

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I too used Mitchum for four years and it stopped working for me...I'm using Gillette now...
I know friends who just dont perspire no matter what...or very little. But, unfortunately, that is not me... i have to use something that dries. Thanks for all the tips.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Nicotine speeds up your metabolism, digestion etc. Anything that speeds up your metabolism could cause you to sweat more. Who knows. Lots of chemicals in cigarrettes so maybe some of them are reacting to make you sweat. Why now more than in the past? Another good question. I don't no.

Perspiring is natural and healthy and its the way your body works. I know sometimes its a little excessive and can be frustrating for some, but remember, you don't want to mess too much with your bodily functions. I take it we're talking about the underarm sweat glands. Not much you can do about that. I prefer to try and mute the smell myself.

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
ok...so anyone have recommendations for something that is
1) clear (no whitish residue)

AND

2) no pit stains on tshirts? i swear, they are like crunchy in the pit area now. the white ones are turning orangish.

i currently use right guard extreme AP. thanks.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Use Natures Gate Natural Deodorant. No nasty chemicals, just good essential oils. It works really well; I used to have to use serious deodorants. Try the different scents; I notice that any "spice" like Natures Gate or even Speed stick reacts badly to my own perspiration and makes a big stink even I can't stand. But the Spring fresh scent works wonders, the best I've ever used. Tom's of Maine also has some natural stuff to try too. No pit stains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks