What's new

Why has my anti-perspirant stopped working? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
OK, this goes down as the most weird subject I've ever started a thread about :)
I'd been quite happy with my AP for most of this year. After years of using sprays and getting nowhere, I changed to a cream roll-on from Sure. Perfect! Completely stopped the sweating, no more messed up shirts or wet underarms! (gross, I know, but I said it was a weird post).
Then about two months ago, it just stopped working. I tried a couple of other brands (including Mitchum) - same result. Gives a certain amount of protection but then gives up and I've got a damp patch under each arm again!
Why would it just suddenly stop like that? Anyone know anything I can do about it?
I must point out - this isn't a problem with BO, just the sweaties. And I'm royally hacked off with it!

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Strangely, the same exact thing has happened to me recently. I've been using Mitchum for a few years with no trouble, but all of a sudden I've started sweating way more than normal. It usually isn't enough to show and I don't have BO, but it is damn annoying and makes me pretty self-conscious at times.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like the underarms have built up an immunity to the sweat control agents in the roll-on anti-perspirant. :D

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Maybe you need it to be Ph balanced? Maybe _that's_ the secret... :crazy:
;) ;) ;)
I dunno. That's weird... have you tried going back to the spray or anything?
The worst I've ever heard is eventually getting a rash by always using the exact same one... but never a total failure of it.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I have the same problem and it won't go away no matter how many brands I try, and no matter how much of the stuff I eat. :frowning:
Seriously, I used to have the same problem, just as you described. I think Patrick is right on target: 90% of what out there just doesn't work for me after a month or two of daily use. Thankfully I've found two products that have done the trick for a long time with great success: "Arm & Hammer Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant" and "Right Guard Xtreme Sport Power Stripe" (snicker). Try those (are they available in England?) and see how they do.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm guessing what is happening is your body chemistry is gradually changing to the point certain deodorants no longer work. It's much like when you smell a cologne which is amazing and spray it on yourself only to find it no longer smells like it did. Your body chemistry can change the smell of cologne and perfume making it smell differently on different people. For years I used stick deodorants then suddenly they no longer worked...no matter which brand or type it was. I had to switch to sprays which work much better with my body chemistry. Currently, the one which works best for me is Right Guard Sport Powder Dry spray.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Sounds like you are reacting to stress in a different way than you did in the past. Any life changing activities happen recently?

Just a possibility.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
If you can't find a product that works, make a visit to your doctor. There are prescription APs that work extremely well and you only have to apply them every few days (keeps working even when you shower). There is something about them (itchiness?), however that makes it best for one to apply it before bed.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I think that Rob's "pit sweat" was included in the disclosure documents released by Iraq over the weekend. Saddam has secretly been working on the ultimate weapon "death by b.o.". Poor Rob didn't even realize that he was a guinea pig ;)
On a more serious note, I sweat quite a bit and have noticed that some brands seem to work better for me than others. Also, some sticks (the clear ones by Right Guard) actually give me a burning sensation after application. I'm talking about pain (think of rubbing alcohol on a freshly shaven face), not just a tingling sensation! I currently use a clear gel AP/Deo by Right Guard. No problems so far, it works very well.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I remember having the same problem back in highschool. It was quite a problem with me. I even went to the doctor and asked about a prescription AP, but he looked at me like I was goofy. The best AP I have found was Mitchum. That stuff will dry you out for two days.
However, I mention this was in highschool. I have no problem now, even with generic/cheapo AP's. I think my problem was stress/anxiety related. The more you think about it, the more stress you create, the more you sweat. So, if you can, try a good AP and try not to even think about it......

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
If all else continues to fail, just start sticking some maxi pads up under your pits. That will keep the sweat from leaking through to your shirt.

Brett_H

Second Unit
Apparently I suffer from overly sensitive pits, which I inherited from my father. Starting a few years ago, I would get a brownish-red rash no matter what I used. I never even used AP, just deodorant. Last year I stopped using AP or deo altogether and made the switch to powder. Yep, I've switched to using "Shower to Shower" exclusively, and I (and my pits) couldn't be happier. My wife claims to notice no unusual smells, so I'm guessing it works!

-Brett. (I can't believe what I will admit to in "public" on this forum!)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
The body sort of builds up an immunity to the AP naturally. Remember as gross as it sounds our sweat was once a female attraction tactic. Times change though lol. What i do is switch back and forth between Degree and Old Spice AP's regularly, works well.

---
jay

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I have heard great things about Arm and Hammer's Deodarant/AP.

Rob, the best way to combat this problem is to buy at least three different brands of AP that you know work well for you at one time. Avoid gels (not only do they smell too strong, but they wreck havoc on laundry).

I use

Right Guard Xtreme with Power Strip
Old Spice High Endurance
Sure (Unscented)

Just use a different one every day.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I remember trying severl AP's years ago and none of them did anything. Then oddly, I tried Speeds Stick normal deodorant, and it's worked perfectly for me for years. Funny how a deodorant can work and an AP can't.

Jeff

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Any life changing activities happen recently?
Well, around the time this happened I was going through crap with my then girlfriend. That ended soon afterwards (not not, I hasten to add, due to this problem!). Then shortly after that my best friend died. So yeah, I suppose the stress levels have been up.

I've been using sprays for years and never had any luck with them. But when I switched to the Sure cream earlier this year it made an amazing difference. I'm mighty miffed that it's stopped working. I suppose I need to keep trying different ones, but of the four or five so far, none have made any difference.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
There are prescription APs that work extremely well and you only have to apply them every few days (keeps working even when you shower). There is something about them (itchiness?), however that makes it best for one to apply it before bed.
Yup, we can get them without prescription here. I've tried one named Driclor. Followed the instructions exactly and ended up in itch-agony. Jeez that stuff could be used as a torture device! Couldn't stand using it.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Rob, perhaps your GP can prescribe something regardless and tell him/her about the pain..

Something containing aluminium chloride to absorb water was recommended. (by some nice adverts on the internet:b )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks