What's new

Why has FOX dropped Spanish Subtitles? (1 Viewer)

VictorInt

Auditioning
Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Lately in the past couple of months, I've noticed a disturbing trend from FOX DVD: their new releases no longer come with Spanish subtitles. It seems to have started with Episode 1, then Planet of the Apes, Willow, Moulin Rouge!, and now M*A*S*H*. So what's the deal? FOX has always been the best at supporting Spanish speakers in Region 1. Why do certain releases have a Spanish Language track, yet no subtitles? It's not as if they take up alot of space. What is frustrating is that just as FOX decides to drop Span Subs, Dreamworks finally decides to put them in. Thanks for any responses.

VictorInt

Auditioning
Still hoping for someone from FOX will see this thread. Otherwise, is there an email address I can write to?

VictorInt

Auditioning
Add one more DVD to the list: Kiss of the Dragon is yet another DVD with a Spanish 2.0 track yet no subtitles. What the hell is wrong with FOX?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Fox's recent Stealing Beauty has Spanish subs as does the forthcoming My Bodyguard.

VictorInt

Auditioning
Jeff: How recent is Stealing Beauty? Every major FOX release since Episode 1 has been without the Spanish subs. But why would only select titles have them now? FOX used to put them on every release. Frankly I would think that they'd be less troublesome than the Spanish 2.0 tracks they've been including.

Would Mr. Straddon have any comments on this?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
probably because most of the Spanish-speaking population watches the dubs for some odd reason. Probably also discourages exportation. And it's Peter STADDON, and if he hasn't answered, that means he doesn't have an answer for it, and nagging will not help. He can/will/should pick and choose what he wants to/can answer, and if you wish to ask him directly, wait for the next Fox chat, or write him a letter care of Fox

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
How recent is Stealing Beauty?
It was released today (1/8/02). I'd say it's pretty recent. :)
Deciding on features is done on a case by case basis, which will depend on a number of factors, including usage rights, availability of elements and budget considerations. I doubt Fox has a grudge against those who'd prefer Spanish subs, but there are circumstances that will preclude putting them on the disc, many of which Fox has no need to make public if they choose not to.

VictorInt

Auditioning
Jeff: Thanks for your response.

Robert: Jeff already corrected me.

And geez guys, it's not like I misspelled the man's name on purpose. ;-)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There is the ability to edit one's post, Victor, so you could correct it...;)

VictorInt

Auditioning
Jeff: Yeah, but then that would prevent you guys from ragging on me. ;-)

I guess it must be a pretty commmon misspelling of Mr. Staddon's name. You know what? Before I actually responded to your post I actually went on Google to look up "Peter Straddon" just to make sure I had it right, and oddly enough, several places have it misspelled, but at the time I thought it was correct.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
And why we're at it, why no french subs?

Being a Quebecian, I find myself having to watch a movie with people who don't understand english, watching a movie dubbed in french is what i call "Wasting a movie" (Not to mention that I just bought a DTS Capable Receiver, so I would be very stupid to watch a movie in 2.0 just because someone is too lazy to watch his/her movie properly) so subs would be a solution but many studios don't include french subs.

That would encourage OSL over here, failure to include a french audio track simply gives people a reason to stay with VHS, including a french track as good as the OSL English gives people no incentive for OSL, so English 5.1 (With optional french subn), French 2.0 is the perfect way to go, Columbia Tri-Star does it right.

French speaking people can watch a movie dubbed at first, then in OSL with subs and eventually ends up watching movies properly.

VictorInt

Auditioning
Martin: The funny thing is that ALOT more Region 1 DVDs have French subs than they do Spanish ones. The main reason I want Spanish subs on most DVDs is so my father can understand the movie without having to resort listening to subpar a dub, or me having to stop a film to transalate. Thank God Warner included the subs on JFK. The movie is hard enough to follow in English!

VictorInt

Auditioning
Some good news for a change, Buffy Season 1 does indeed come with the subs. ;-)

More good news: Contrary to what I stated earlier, MASH does indeed have the subs. Says so on the back of the case. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks