What's new

Why has Britain banned the use of newsprint to wrap fish n' chips? (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I was watching an episode of Alton Brown's Good Eats cooking show on Food Channel. In it, Alton was preparing the classic British takeout, fish n' chips. He made a brief statement that the traditional act of wrapping the fish n' chips in old newsprint is no longer allowed. Unfortunately, he did not elaborate.

Any answers?

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know the answer but its possible that it could have something to do with health risks due to the ink or paper. Just a suggestion. I would really like to know now that you brought it up.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Maybe the fact that paper is one of the highest germ/bacteria carriers around. Purely sanitary reasons. BTW, I grew up when they had the f&c in newspaper.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Thats what i figured. Thanks Neil. By the way, you have a great first name.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks Neil and Neil. I was particularly curious about this since I recently went to a restaraunt which served the 'classic' fish n' chips. They were served wrapped in old newsprint.

While it added to the aura of all things British, I could forsake the tradition in order to gain a greater cleanliness.

Forgot to add...the restaurant that I visited is in Minneapolis, MN.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
after reading the paper notice the ink all over your hands
Then think of greasy fried fish......
As Homer Simpson would say Ummmmmmmmmm ink fish

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Newsprint has been known to contain trace amounts of lead (though it may be less of a problem with newer inks) Not enough to harm anybody in the course of an acute exposure, but over time, it's just that much more added to a person's "lead burden". Zero exposure to lead is impossible for all intents and purposes, but less is always better, especially for children and women of childbearing age.

I can't say with certainty that this is the reason for the ban, but it's my best guess.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
At the end of 35 minute train ride every morning, I look down at my fingers and they are almost black from the newsprint that has worn off. No way would I want any food wrapped in that stuff. Blech!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
They do that in a F&C place right down in a nearby peir here... very yummy.. i could go for some right now
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
Warm and greasy, with malt vinegar and tartar sauce slathered all over the fried fish.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
They wrapped the fish with newsprint? For people to eat? Where's the puking smiley when I need it?
Just to set the record straight - no, the fish and chips weren't put directly onto newsprint. They were wrapped up in clean and (supposedly) greaseproof paper, and *then* the newsprint was wrapped around this. The idea of the newsprint was to act as insulation - to prevent the food from burning your hands if you were going to eat it straight away, or to keep the food hot until you got home.

Use of newsprint as wrapping diappeared about twenty-five years ago, due to an EU (or EEC as it was at the time) directive. Apparently it's okay to do unspeakable things to geese to make pate de foie gras, but using old newspapers (which never came into contact with the food) is a ghastly crime against the food industry. Today, Brit fish and chips come wrapped in the same greaseproof paper surrounded by several layers of very boring 'ordinary' paper (a bit like newsprint paper in consistency, but without the printing).

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ohyeah, they do have that wax paper between the fish and the newspaper...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Use of newsprint as wrapping diappeared about twenty-five years ago, due to an EU (or EEC as it was at the time) directive. Apparently it's okay to do unspeakable things to geese to make pate de foie gras, but using old newspapers (which never came into contact with the food) is a ghastly crime against the food industry.
reminds me of the Yes Minister episode regarding EEC directives concerning the labelling of sausages! :D :D :D

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Off topic, my 17-year old brother's working at a recording studio in Sheppards Bush for a few weeks, and last night he went to a pub after work, with Blur, played pool with Damon Albarn, and beat him. Apparently. Pretty cool story, anyway, back to topic. Being British, you might think I'd have something valuable to contribute to this discussion, but I don't remember the last time I ate fish and chips, so my participation has been completely worthless. Carry on.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
reminds me of the Yes Minister episode regarding EEC directives concerning the labelling of sausages!
Brits love to have a good moan about EC regulations [largely because we're one of the few nations which faithfully implements them, in spite of the image the UK has in the European press], and the sausages episode took it to a logical conclusion. The irony is that several Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister episodes have in retrospect proved to be far-sighted. For example, a few years after that episode was made, there really *was* a row about the labelling of sausages.

In this discussion of fish and chips, let us not forget the important role of mushy peas and pickled eggs.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
rds (;)) Bush
Not Bush Studios under the H&C Line station by any chance? We often rehearse there...
Cool, story, yes. I know DJ Erol of Monday-night'sTrash in a vague sort of way. I saw him at the Trail of Dead gig in the Astoria last year and popped up to say hi. When I was almost there I realised he was chatting to Justine Frischmann. I did the only thing I could do: totally ignored her and waited for her to leave (which she as about to do anyway)!! :b :D Cool as a cucumber!!;)

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
There's a chap a ways north of where I live who has brought this tradition to his fish and chips shop. He (of course) wraps his yummy fish (customer's choice) and chips in wax paper, then the whole package is wrapped in newspaper. It has been a while since I've been there. Maybe it's high time I revisit this English specialty again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks