Why Eight-Channel High-Rez Analog Inputs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Iver, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Some manufacturers, with their higher-end receivers, have gone from six-channel high-rez analog audio input to eight-channel.

Are there any high-rez multichannel disc players, or any other similar audio sources for that matter, which will output an eight-channel signal?

Obviously, you have seven-channel amps, leading to eight-channel pre-out sets (the seven channels plus the LFE channel). But that's only amplification and pre-amp level output. How would a disc player generate eight channels of input versus the current standard six?

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Some receivers had 5.1 inputs before DVD players were extremely common to handle external DD and DTS decoders used with LD players. Now the receiver manufacturers are trying to be ahead of the game. While no player has a 6.1 output that I'm aware of, it could happen because of DD EX and DTS ES. 7.1 is just a step beyond that. They're anticipating that a new format will come along with separate rear centers or perhaps a height channel. Who knows? Having the option is nice though.

Its also a matter of marketing. Its probably easy to add the 7.1 input if they're doing 7 channels of amplification for their proprietary surround modes. So now they can claim that their receiver is more future proof, if such a thing truly existed. I

3. Mark LP

Mark LP Agent

My current dvd player is an Integra 8.3. It has 7.1 channel analog outputs. Specifically for dts es. The analog dacs are just great on this unit. This goes quite nicely with my receiver with 7.1 analog inputs.

Mark

4. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Another reason is that if you wanted to use an external processor like a pre/pro or an external multi-channel DAC you could do that then run the analog outputs fromj those devices to the multi-channel inputs of your receiver and then just use the internal amps inside the receiver. This way you bypass the processing section inside the receiver. Not that you'd really want to but you could.

Daniel Smith