Why don't women shave their arms?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Don Black, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

This isn't a sexist thing. But why does society dictate that women shave their legs and armpits but not their arms? Just curious...

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Maybe it's because legs are considered sexy by some, and are something women (or men want women to) want them look good. And underarms are real hairy, which just isn't an attractive trait, and the lack of hair gives a cleaner appearance (same with the legs). Whereas arms aren't that hairy, and aren't usually something someone looks at on a woman as being sexy, so no one concerns themselves to much with it.

3. Michael Toguchi

Michael Toguchi Stunt Coordinator

arms aren't that hairy? I have seen some arms that put a man to shame! Being able to comb ones armhairs is not attractive in my eyes.

4. Keith Mickunas

Well, arms aren't usually as hairy as underarms, how about that? I've known some girls that a little trim on their arms wouldn't have hurt. I think there's one girl I work with that shaves her arms, at least someone said something like that one day. I'm going to have to try and get a good look.

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Michael, if you find arm hair so disgusting then only date women who shave their arms. It's as simple as that.

Why don't all guys shave their face?? I personally find any amount of facial hair highly unattractive, but that doesn't mean I belittle the entire gender over some people's personal preference.

Ya know, this whole shaving this is a personal decision. I know *plenty* of women who shave their arms. . .and legs, and stomach and feet. I also know men who shave their chests and their legs. Likewise, I know people of both genders that don't even own a single razor and haven't shaved anything in years.

6. Keith Mickunas

Stomach? Boy, you learn something new on this forum everyday. I'm pretty certain I've never heard of a woman doing that before.

But Leila, aside from the personal decision aspect, do you have any idea where this concept came from? Why would anybody have first thought of the idea? I think that's what Don is getting at. Some amount of body hair is only natural, yet in our society it's mostly frowned upon on women anymore.

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Don't women have enough hair to remove as it is? Legs, arm pits, eyebrows, upper lip, side burns, etc....If you add arm hair into the mix, they'd never be able to get out of the bathroom.

8. Leila Dougan

Keith, yup many women do [​IMG] Actually most who do their stomachs prefer waxing but shaving works okay too.

I did get what Don was getting at I just don't really know the answer.

I don't know where it originated since it seems to be a North American thing mostly, I think. A lot of European women don't shave nearly as much as North American women.

For me, shaving is more for my comfort than looks. When wearing a skirt and pantyhose, it's infintely more comfortable (less itchy and irritating) to have shaved legs than the nylon pulling on the hairs. If I'm going to wear a cute tank top or something, I don't want a bush under my arms [​IMG]

For my arms, well, my hair is much thinner than a man's so I've never really worried about it. I don't know why it doesn't concern me like my legs do, honestly. I've thought about shaving my arms but that just gets to be too much work. I already spend about 45 min daily on hair removal, the last thing I need is another area to worry about.

It's obviously a societal thing, but the originals baffle me. Sorry [​IMG]

9. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

10. Michael Toguchi

Leila, I didn't say I thought arm hair was disgusting, and I also put up an observation that I have seen hair on women's arms that would have me "look twice." In what way does this make a generalization and belittle an entire gender? Everybody has their own personal preference in how they would like to present themselves in public. If I offended you in any way, I apologize. I was making light of the subject.

BTW, who I date is my decision, hairy or not [​IMG]

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

[​IMG]

SEXY!!!! [​IMG]

12. Leila Dougan

Michael, nah it's cool. I'd say most women's arm aren't very hairy at all. Seems a bit of a generalization to imply that all are that way. . .but I see you're not. Don't worry, I've seen a few women with very hairy arms but that's usually due to ethnicity or an endocrine disorder.

In any case, you've got my full permission to date anyone you want [​IMG]

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Shaving your arms and showing the bare skin is a good way of announcing "I don't have a skin disorder on my arms!". Everyone will know that you likely don't have any obvious parasites!

14. Michael Toguchi

What kind of parasites live in arm hair?

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

It's not the hair they live in(although lice and mites can if they choose).

Judging the parasite load of an organism is easy just by looking at the complexion of the skin. A person with a flu or cold will have a ruddy complexion, for example (yes, viruses are parasites too, as are cancer cells..not just the garden-variety parasites you see on the X-files). Those worms that sprout out of people's legs leave a nasty looking scab too.

Parasites can leave evidence of their passing in the complexion of the host. Sometimes the damage is permanent - like flesh-eating bacteria (well actually, the bacteria don't eat your flesh - their toxic wastes do)!

Interesting how evolution works - humans shed the masses of hair from their primate ancestors, and suddenly they are more careful about their health, because now it is so easily seen!

You see, parasites have pushed the human race into developing health-care technologies, which further spurs them into inventing supermodels, Hollywood celebrities, and pinup girls. All we needed to do was lose our hair!

16. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

Ugh. I always thought hairy people are gross...but definitly women. I am compeletly unattracted to a girl with hair anywhere but her head.

On the flip side, I remove most of my hair. It's soooo much more comfortable, and my skin feels great against the smooth skin of a girls without any hair getting in the way.

I recomend guys try it...I'll bet half of them never go back to being hairy!

17. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

18. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

19. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Shaving under your arms is a means of reducing body odor. Perspiration, in and of itself is odorless. However bacteria on your body interact with perspiration creating odor. Less hair under the arms equates to less surface area for perspiration to collect, hence less bacterial interaction and less odor.

- Walter.

20. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor