Why don't they put more DD trailers on DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Russell, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

I actually enjoy the THX and DTS trailers on dvd's. I can only recall seeing one DD trailer on a dvd ever(at least in my 300+ collection). Why is that? I think they are kinda cool.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Coz a DD 5.1 track takes up more data space on the disc than a DD 2.0 or a stereo track...

Less space used by extras, more space used for the main feature

3. Steve Russell

By that reasoning they shouldn't put DTS trailers on discs because the DTS soundtrack takes up more disc space, especially compared to DD soundtracks. The THX trailer must also take up valuable disc space.

4. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Nick, I think you misread his original question. He was asking why there arent Dolby Digital Trailers.
    Some Hong Kong DVDs have them, and I know of at least one US R1 disc that has it, and that would be Artisan's Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition.
    As to why more discs dont contain them, this question was actually asked when Dolby held their HTF chat here a while ago, and the answer was, they dont know! [​IMG] I guess its a marketing decision, and they just dont think its important enough.
    I would be happy to see more Dolby Digital trailers like the ones you see in movie theaters.

5. Steve Russell

I guess I should clarify, I'm talking about the cool sounding DD, DTS, THX intro's not actual movie trailers in DD 5.1.

6. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

I think Columbia do them, certainly in Region2.
    I want to see more DD and dts trailers on titles, especially the big action pictures! [​IMG]

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah, it must be just non-Region 1 stuff. I have two region 0 dvds (that say region 3 on the back) ...one is the Twin Peaks Pilot, and the other is an old school Laserdisc rip of Star Wars E1...and they both have DD5.1 trailer.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The Dolby Digital format trailers were common on DD laserdiscs, because DD was new and it wasn't the standard format for the medium. On DVD, by contrast, DD is the standard (along with PCM). Having a trailer for it would be like having an intro on every CD saying, "This disc features the wonders of PCM encoding!"

If you like DD trailers, I'd suggest getting Dolby's We've Got the Whole World Listening or the Delos DVD Spectacular. Both have a collection of Dolby trailers. Personally I hope those trailers continue to be omitted from DVDs. Digital real estate is just too precious to waste on redundant trivia.

M.

9. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

I agree that at least some of the 2 disc special editions, with real estate to spare, should include at least one DD trailer. I love the one before Terminator 2. Kind of adds a more theatrical feel to the presentation. And, Terminator 2, Toy Story and the Phantom Menace all got special THX trailers, so I don't see the problem. Besides, the DD trailers can't be more than 20-30 seconds long. The real estate has to be negligible. Bring on the trailers!

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

No such thing -- ask any DVD producer.
    M.