What's new

Why don't they have window screens in Europe? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
With all this West Nile virus stuff going around... I got to thinking:

My wife, a few friends, and I took a little European vacation back in '96. I remember one night in Florence it was sweltering in our hotel room. Well, we couldn't open the window because there were no screens and the mosquitos would eat us alive. Finally we broke down and opened it. My bed was right next to the window and I was the heaviest hit.

The rest of the trip I joked that I was going to open a window screen business in Europe and make a gajillion dollars.

Why are screens so uncommon over there??

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Maybe in parts of Europe they're uncommon, but in the northern part of Sweden at least they're commonly used, otherwise you would hardly make it through the summer...

Maybe Italy normally doesn't have a big problem with bugs?

/Mike

Peter Burtch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dave,
I was told it is partially due to the old superstition (at least in Italy) that breezes at night were bad for your health. Probably an old wives tale ;). A lot of the buildings in Europe are very old (along with the windows), which probably plays a role too. Thicker walls in some of the old structures means it will keep the heat out when it's hot without having to open up a window.
On that topic, one of the neatest innovations I saw on a recent trip overseas was a type of door called a 'Tilt and turn'. It's a normal looking door (out to a terrace or patio) which not only opens like a door, but can tilt up and open in a locking position to ventilate the room. In the spring or fall when there are few insects it would be a great thing over here. When I inquired of our builders they said it was hard to find suppliers yet here for the Tilt & Turn doors, but the windows were available.
cheers,
Pedro

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I think it's just that we don't believe in summer here in Europe. It so rarely comes around with any sort of force that we assume it won't be a problem!! :D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Check out San Francisco and you wont find screens
Like Theo said we dont believe in summer ...and we dont have many flying bugs....Yellow Jackets when my wife frys up bacon but thats it(sounds like a Homer Simpson joke)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks