Why don't studios let us download trailers - only stream?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Mar 31, 2002.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

It peeves me. Film companies produce these trailers for their upcoming movies and instead of letting us download chunky 640x480 MPEGs of them to enjoy and show to mates (FREE ADVERTISING) they are so often streamable only, a particularly annying idea if you haven't access to any fast connection and therefore are reduced to an unwatchable, almost unlistenable version.

So why are these things continuously avaiable for streaming only from official sources?

2. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

I believe C & C Music Factory said it best:
    "Things that make you go 'hmmmmmm'"
    Yes, I find that particularly annoying. Starwars.com has also been aggravating in this respect with their 'savable-not savable-savable' video features. [​IMG]

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I wouldn't mind streaming so much (cable modem), but the video players themselves won't allow you to double the size. I always watch movies at double zoom, which just isn't a possibility with Quicktime and Windows Media windows in Internet Explorer/Netscape.

4. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

They stream the video because they want you to hit their site again when you feel like watching the trailer again. One would think the last thing the Star Wars site needs is ad revenue, but notice they DO have ads.
    God bless mirror sites [​IMG]

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

What annoys me the most is they won't even let you stream the large version without QT Pro. Ridiculous and stupid. At least let us stream the big one with QT Basic. That's just greed on Apple's part more than anything. I'm quite glad mirror sites exist just to tell Apple to stick it.

6. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I dunno about that. Why should Apple be obligated to give you their codec/player for no charge? Quicktime has been in development at their cost for almost 10 years. At least their 'free' players already beat the snot out of the quality of RealPlayer. I have no problem in paying a reasonable fee to get an undoubtedly better quality system.

Remember, you paid for the MPEG-2 decoder in your DVD player; it just wasn't as obvious since it was rolled into the price of the overall hardware.

Rich

7. Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P Stunt Coordinator

I don't mind apple charging for a high-quality stream, what I do mind is apple monopolizing all the new movie trailers. Apple is now the only place to find alot of these trailers and scouring the web can take a long time. Thanks to file-sharing programs like Grokster, I got the latest Ep2 trailer in FREE, UNCONTROLLED MPEG FORMAT in minutes.

8. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I have no problem with Apple requiring purchase of QT Pro to view the trailer ON THEIR SERVER. I DO have a big problem with them encoding the video so that you need QT PRo no matter where you download the file.

Paying $30 because it helps with their server costs? I understand.

Paying $30 to see AN AD, even if I didn't download it from Apple? No way.

9. Matthew R

Matthew R Agent

Here's what bugs me about it: Apple restricts the trailers to streaming only (unless you have the paid version), and says that it's necessary to offset the bandwidth costs. The result is that instead of downloading the trailer once and saving it to my hard drive, I'm downloading it every time I visit. Seems like I'm using a lot more bandwidth now, doesn't it?

And I'm not planning to pay for software to watch trailers, which are essentially advertisements. The cost of the software isn't a problem; it's the principle-- I don't think it makes sense to pay to watch ads.

--Matthew

10. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I think it's got something to do with a little thing called COPYRIGHT, people - by streaming the trailer it prevents people from pirating copyrighted works, especially if a trailer has to be pulled (ie - Spiderman - WTC, A.P. - Goldmember).

11. Matthew R

Matthew R Agent

Keith, that reasoning makes sense, except that it's my understanding that the trailers can still be saved to disk with the paid version of QuickTime. It's only the free version that gets limited to streaming.

--Matthew

12. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Ah, yes, but by paying for the service, you're being given the opportunity to download the trailer. There is some cost recovery there for the studios.

13. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Doesn't matter what they do. You can savethe trailer without QT Pro. Some site will have it evetually after release.

14. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Terrell, the Clone War trailer was encoded so that it was unplayable without QT Pro. That's what pisses me off about Apple.

15. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

This isn't just about Apple, though. WB had the Harry Potter trailer on their site for ages in all three formats but none were downloadable.

16. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Theo, sometimes you can and sometimes you can't with WM trailers. I don't know if it has to do with the browser plugin settings that they encode or if there is some sort of window tag needed to allow it.

I do know that I have never been able to do that with QT streaming windows.

Saying that streaming saves on server and bandwidth costs is completely wrong. They aren't/can't multicast, and the streamed file is the same physical size as the downloaded one, so there is no gain in file size. The only bandwidth saving would be those that get frustrated and kill the stream before it completes.

17. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

If you know a bit more about HTML, you can always find a way around the streaming. Here is what I always do:

View the source code, find any URLs that look suspiciously like the movie file (files with extension QT or MOV, files with name like starwarsep2trailer or something like that). Copy the URL to clipboard.

Now create a new text file, in the file enter the following text:

&lthtml&gt

&lta href="***"&gt Here &lt/a&gt

&lt/html&gt

Replace *** with the URL you just copied.

Now change the extension of the text file to HTM. Open the file with your web browser. Right click on the link "Here" and choose "Save as".

18. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

Damn. How do I show HTML tags in their original text format?

Never mind. I found out.

19. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Does the old Temporary Internet Files trick not work in this case?

20. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer