1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

why don't other movies look like koyanaasqaatsi?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, Sep 15, 2002.

1. andrew markworthy

Be warned, this is a really really stupid question. I've just finished watching the new DVDs of Koyanaasquatsi and Powaasquatsi [apologies for the spelling!]. I don't know if it's the film stock or the lighting or what, but both have a distinctive appearance - colours are vibrant, everything is clear-cut.

Now here is the dumb question - why does the same general 'look' not appear in other movies? I can't think of anything other than Baraka or occasionally a wildlife film (e.g. some bits of The Blue Planet) where one has the same surface appearance.

2. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

Because that was the look and feel the cinematographer wanted. Most dramatic movies don't lend themselves to that style. This film was purely visual. I assume you're also seeing it on DVD, which can oftentimes look different than a standard theatrical release print.