Why don't B&M's point out full-screen also?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

My friend went out on his lunch to buy LOTR the other day and was pissed when he got back to the office to find he had inadvertantly bought the pan & scan version.

I went to the same store and made sure I brought a copy of the widescreen version to the counter. The cashier looked at it and said "Do you understand this is the widescreen version?". Which is a nice gesture... for J6P. Why don't OAR fans receive the same courtesy? Why can't we get a "Do you realize you're buying a full screen copy?"

It's descrimination, I say!

2. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Dave - Did your friend bother to read the banner spanning the top front of the case which read FULLSCREEN?

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

5. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

My CC has FOTR on their best sellers rack & has the WS and P&S separated and the card below it clearly marked. If you read English, you got no excuse!

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

He probably bought it with the assumption that nobody would pan and scan LotR! What a silly concept!

I think they don't warn people of slice and dice because people who prefer OAR tend to be more vigilant than people who complain about bars.

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The cashier was just looking out for you. If the other person didnt, maybe the cashier didnt know. I work at a brick and mortar, and anyone I see with the fullscreen version I ask em why dont they get the widescreen. I then go through the spill of benefits and have converted about 7 out of 10.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i was pretty impressed when i went to get my harry potter dvd. the sales guys said, 'hey, just so you know. we have both a wide-screen and full-screen version...'
    i was like 'widescreen all the way!'
    he was like 'right-on!' i was duly impressed.
    then when i got to the counter, they automatically gave that the dvd at 10.00 (i guess they were price matching someone).
    for once i had a good experience at that dang place. [​IMG]

9. Brian_Linnen

Brian_Linnen Stunt Coordinator

my circuit city put their big square price stickers in the top left-hand corner which covered the letters "wide" and "full" leaving only "screen" uncovered. i figured that if it said "screen" it was probably the widescreen version so i just grabbed one, not realizing that they ALL said "...screen".

luckily the girl at the register peeled it back and asked me if i really wanted the fullscreen version. a great save!!

10. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I had the (dis)pleasure of seeing a little bit of the P&S version of LOTR at a store. They were showing the scene at Moria. Made my head hurt. There is so much movement in that scene that it's almost impossible to keep the action framed in a 4:3 box. They have to move the frame around so much that it almost makes me seasick.

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

12. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Reading this thread gets my blood boiling. The very term - FULLSCREEN - implies to J6P that its "better." Its FULL. Its more. No black bars. It implies that the widescreen version is not the full version. J6P: They must put black bars there to be "arty" like with what ABC does showing "The West Wing."

The very term Fullscreen hoodwinks the average uninformed consumer. It should read PAN and SCAN or NOT WIDESCREEN or TRIMMED TO FIT YOUR TV....something besides FULL SCREEN.

13. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

14. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

The general public never evern heard the terms "Pan and Scan" or "OAR". I do agree though. I hate the term Full Screen. It sure isn't full on my 50" Toshiba Widescreen montior.

15. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

don't think i like "Preserved Original Aspect Ratio", sounds, um, "poor" [​IMG]
    How about "Standard Original Aspect Ratio", or SOAR..now *there's* an acronym worth shouting! [​IMG]

16. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

How about Maintains Original Aspect Ratio. See MOAR of the picture...(shoot me now)

17. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Or how about these acronyms for pan & scan:

S.H.I.T. Version (See How It's Trimmed)
    C.R.A.P. Version (Can't Reveal As Photographed)

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If I ever worked counter at a store I'd point out anything 'wrong' to people, like point to the "formatted to fit your screen" message on the back and make sure they noticed that.