What's new

Why doesn't Warner do a Van Halen vs Van Hagar? (1 Viewer)

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
Yes, Sam inflicted "heavier" lyrics... but they fit the genre he was working with. The heavier lyrics in "in and out" could be mistaken for a song about intercourse to those who really didnt listen close. They also fit with the listening audience that would pay attention to VH. (This IMHO, of course).

I also agree that some of Sam's lyrics were quite silly and unrefined. Sam's history shows that he could really only put together a good series of lyrics every-other-album. 5150=great lyrics, OU812= horrible lyrics, F.U.C.K = good/borderline great lyrics, Balance= poor overall lyrics.....
MarchingToMars= incredible lyrics, Red Voodoo= silly lyrics, Ten13= very good lyrics, NotForSale= firstgrader quality lyrics.
(once again, IMHO)

Also, dont get me wrong. I enjoy and appreciate Gary. I own all the extreme discs, and absolutely love "Three sides". I have no qualms about listening to his politically motivated rants on an Extreme disc. Because, this is what I expect and have come to be use to. I also think he performed very well on the Freddie Mercury concert. But, I dont think he was a fit for VH. After 10 party albums, with some being all-time rock classics, no one wants to hear political rants on a VH disc. The listeners have come to expect a "fun" disc.

Now, in typing this, I realize I haven't listened to "Marching to Mars" in a long time. I think I'll go put it in and turn it up. I love the lyrics in "Yogi's so high". But I still giggle when I think of Yogi bear hitting a bong !! (i know, I know, its not about the bear... but the image comes to mind with the title

Clint B

Second Unit
I wasn't that big a fan of the VH III album, but it did have a few good cuts on it, and I would've liked to hear a second album with Gary. But since we've heard virtually nothing from anyone connected with the band for several years now (at least since Eddie went through his cancer battle, I think), I think it's safe to say this...

(the band) Van Halen is dead...Long live Van Halen.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Well, the rumors have been flying around the internet regarding a possible reunion between Sammy and Van Halen, including this one on audiorevolution.com.

Posted 11/21 on Sammy's official website

A couple of months ago I called Alex out of the blue because we had run into a mutual friend and both of us said to tell each other "hello". So I said, "I am going to call him" and we talked. Alex said "Hey, next time you are down here call me and we’ll have dinner or lunch or something." So a few weeks ago I was in L.A. I called Al, we had lunch, spent the whole day together. It was great. Reconnecting as friends. That was the end of it. A couple weeks later I talked to Ed on the phone, and a few times since then. It’s like old times as friends but nothing more than that. It’s great to have open communications with some old friends again, much better than being in a maze. If anything develops more from that when the time is right, I will keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks