Why doesn't Warner do a Van Halen vs Van Hagar?

Discussion in 'Music' started by EdHoch, Oct 8, 2003.

1. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    If I were an exec at WB, this is what I would do...

Just in time for the 2004 holiday buying season, (too late for 2003) release two separate Van Halen best of collections, one with songs with David Lee Roth as lead singer, and another with songs with Sammy Hagar as lead singer.

Some will buy one, some will buy the other, some will buy both, and in any case WB wins by reselling catalog tracks from one of their most successful bands.

I know they already have a combined greatest hits out there, but they could include more tracks on the two separate discs...and of course it would be fun to see which one sells more. (I would bet on the Roth-era disc, but I'm more of a Hagar-era fan myself)

Who would be against this?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

What's the point?

3. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I want the entire catalog on dvd-audio. That would be sweet. Remastering the Hagar era would be nice as well. The Roth era remasters are excellent.

4. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

What about the Gary Cherone remasters?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA![​IMG]

5. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

Well, VH and Warner Bros. split, so would WB still have rights to their old catalog?

As a longtime fan, I'm so tired of waiting for something new to happen with this band. If they won't do anything new, why not at least release the US Fest, Live Without a Net, or some archival footage on DVD? There's over 20 years worth of material out there, after all!

6. ElevSkyMovie

Greg,

Very much agree with you. WB should do something. A box set of rarities and live stuff would be great. Live Without A Net and the US Fest on dvd would be awesome as well.

Actually, III could use remastering, the production sounds like crap. I wish Gary had stuck around and finished the second album, I think it had some real potential. III had potential as well, it just needed a producer with the balls to tell eddie that he needed to restructure some of the songs.

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Actually, several years back, Warner Bros. did just that....a Van Halen boxset w/ DLR, and a separate Van Halen boxset with Sammy. But only for Japan. As I remember it, each of these cost US$100.00+.

Wish I remember where I found it on the net.

Edit:

Here it is, the Japanese Van Halen 1986-1993 boxset.

Sorry, can't locate the Japanese DLR/Van Halen boxset.

8. ElevSkyMovie

Danny,

Those boxes are just the original cds in a box. I don't think there are any extra tracks on them that weren't on the originals, except maybe the Japanese bonus tracks if there were any.

*Edit* I see there is a mini-cd with 2 extra live tracks.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Kyle,

Get this CD if you want collectibles.

Don't you guys always wanted to front Van Halen?? The karaoke versions of "Jump" and "Top of the World" are just that....minus the vocals. Just imagine for a moment....Van Devoe....[​IMG]

10. ElevSkyMovie

Thanks Danny, that's funny. [​IMG]

I need one without guitar on it, as I have never wanted to be Roth or Hagar. In high school I would have given anything to have eddie's chops. :b

Kyle

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Add me to the list of wanting the "Live Without a Net" concert on DVD. I remember I had taped this onto VHS from HBO (or MTV) back in the 80's and my brother and I practically wore that tape out because we played it non stop.

In fact, I was just listening to the live Right Now concert and I was thinking about the LWAN concert. There was one point (I think it was "Best of Both Worlds") where the music got really slow and Sammy started vocalizing these notes that Eddie was playing in the solo. It still gives me goose bumps to think about it because it was so cool they way they did it.

The other thing that helped me to like that concert better was the fact that it was recorded in New Haven CT. [​IMG]

Kyle, Your comment about the VH CD without guitar is sparking my memory. I'm almost positive that I saw something like that at the music store. I was at "Guitar Center" (like a Sam Ash) and I was looking through the song books. I came across this VH song book and it came with a CD that had the songs without the guitar parts so you could play along with it. I'm sure it was some karaokee version of the song and not the real VH recording, but still.

I'll see if I can find it online, but again, I'm not 100% positive...I'll post a link if I find it.

12. MarkHastings

13. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

But it took me years just to perfect my finger tapping on my air-guitar....

14. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

15. MarkHastings

16. ElevSkyMovie

Yeah, the beginning of "Best Of Both Worlds" with Eddie matching Sammy's vocals on the guitar is worth the price of admission for "Live Without a Net" alone. Plus, you get to see the guys do the "5150" walk for the first time and you get to see Alex's Simmons drum kit with platic tubes that connect the bass drums. Nobody knows what those tubes do, it's Alex's big secret, I guess.

17. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

What ever happened to Van Halen? Last I heard, Eddie was recovering from some form of throat cancer and Gary had left the band. Does anyone know what has happened since then?

For what it's worth, I would die for 5150 on DVD-Audio!

18. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Last I heard was that Eddie (or Edward) is angry at Michael Anthony for appearing with Sammy during his tour with DLR.

Van Halen's official website has not been updated since 2002. Even I am not that lazy.

19. ElevSkyMovie

Eddie had some sort of cancer in his tongue. Gary worked with VH on a follow up to III for about a year. The tapes VH sent Warner Bros. didn't impress them and I think Gary grew weary of trying to fill 2 other singers shoes. He left amicably in Nov. of '99 I think. No news was heard for a year and a half. Then word leaked out that VH and Warner were separating. Both partys said they were leaving amicably, even Warner Bros. said they weren't dropping VH. Last year word got out that the brothers had once again worked with Diamond Dave in 2001, and they again said his voice was shot and they couldn't work with him. 2001 is when Eddie was diagnosed with cancer, I think. It was announced last October that Val and Eddie were separating. She bought a multi-million dollar mansion a few miles from 5150. Friends and family said the last straw was when eddie started drinking and smoking again after being cleared of cancer. No one knows anything official except Eddie said in May of 2002 that he was given a clean bill of health.

Eddie played last fall on a song for Steve Lukather's christmas album "Santamental" that is either out soon or just released. He also appeared on stage unannounced with Leslie West and Mountain at the house of blues in LA.

The recent rumours are that Ed and Alex are working on a project by themselves and have been looking for singers, although everone is reluctant to be singer number 4. Mike Anthony played with Sammy on the Sam and Dave tour last summer and has appeared on a few select dates recently as well. Mike says he hasn't spoken with the brothers in a year.

I guess for all intents and purposes, the band is dead.

It's been a sad 5 years for Van Halen fans.

20. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

Wow, Kyle--you really summed everything up nicely there! The only things I'll add are:

Shortly after splitting with Warner Bros, Eddie trademarked everything remotely related to VH that he can... DLR recently brought a lawsuit against the band for back royalties (which has temporarily been dropped). Oh, and they are now eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which would make for a very interesting induction ceremony.

The "Official" website is a joke... the best place for VH-related news is: www.vhnd.com