What's new

Why doesn't George Lucas just reshoot Episodes IV-VI (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Well don't worry! I reject! Lucas never destroys anything. He always archives as much as material as he can.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Seth, I'm certainly not going to try to convince you to like TPM, so I hope this and my prior post aren't seen as an attempt to shoot down your arguments. But, I do want to mention that Lucas fully intended for the droids to be basically worthless. I don't know if you have the DVD, but in the Beginnings documentary, he even mentions this to Steven Spielberg about two years before the movie was released. Something along the lines of, "These guys are terrible fighters, but they are cheap and easy to control. It's going to become apparent that they aren't working and will eventually lead to the necessity of using human stormtroopers." Of course, the stormtroopers were never much more than bantha fodder themselves. ;)
I will agree with you that that bit of dialog was a tad strange:
"We're taking these people to Coruscant."
"Where are you taking them?"
"To Coruscant."
In the commentary, either Lucas or someone else says that the droid was making fun of Qui-Gon with the dialog you cited. I don't see that.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
"In the commentary, either Lucas or someone else says that the droid was making fun of Qui-Gon with the dialog you cited. I don't see that."

I don't either, and nobody says that in the commentary.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I guess it's like when the Hannibal DVD came out, and people swore they saw the brain being cut (or, whichever way that worked out; I never saw Hannibal). I hate when my mind makes false connections. . . . :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It's time for another Star Wars fan to chime in with his two cents about the thread and other things mentioned.
Are you an angel?" Jake Lloyd is pretty awful as well. Not a news flash I know, but I'm sitting here watching since Hubert called me out. He really ruins scenes as much as JJ. It wasn't just Lucas, and Hamill could act circles around Jake.
As for that "angel" quote, I was with a group of buddies, and we all quietly chuckled. We didn't find it humorous because it was bad dialogue in the cinematic sense, we all just kind of laughed because it's one of the worst pick-up lines I've ever heard, considering you've heard things like "are your parents retarded? cause you sure are special...". :laugh:
How do I feel about Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace? In short, I loved it.
Should Lucas reshoot the "original" trilogy? In short, no. Lucas' revisionism of the "original" trilogy left me rather indifferent; it was good in spots (eg. entrance into Mos Eisley or Han running into an organization of a large number of troops) and bad in spots (Greedo shooting first and Luke's generic scream). Yes, the OT reshot would provide a better flow visually speaking, but it's my fear tht he would apply his revisionist additions to this reshot hat scares me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if this was already mentioned, I havent read all the posts here....

But I wouldnt be suprised if some of the "new" footage Lucas is shooting to make the 6 films "flow" into each other better included reshooting the Emperors scenes in Empire Strikes Back and inserted new footage with Ian McDiarmid reciting the same lines. That inconsistancy with the other films has just got to be eating away at Lucas.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I will agree with you that that bit of dialog was a tad strange:

"We're taking these people to Coruscant."

"Where are you taking them?"

"To Coruscant."

In the commentary, either Lucas or someone else says that the droid was making fun of Qui-Gon with the dialog you cited. I don't see that.
I always thought of the battle droid pausing between words as him downloding data from the droid control ship.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
But I wouldnt be suprised if some of the "new" footage Lucas is shooting to make the 6 films "flow" into each other better included reshooting the Emperors scenes in Empire Strikes Back and inserted new footage with Ian McDiarmid reciting the same lines. That inconsistancy with the other films has just got to be eating away at Lucas.
A Ha! We have miraculously gone back to topic (something that most SW threads don't do)--and I'm not blameless in this either. :D
Anyway, those two points illustrate why I think he SHOULD reshoot the darned things. He's obviously not done monkeying with the OT because there's only so much he can do because of the limitations. And with each further revision of the OT, the chance of getting the ORIGINAL versions diminishes. That's why I say reshoot the damned things, and preserve the OT the way it was.

Hubert

Second Unit
I don't mind if he reshoots the OT, but here's the deal. If he's going to do that, he needs to put out double or even triple disc package and offer the edited version on 1 disc, and put the original on a seperate disc. What I fear is that he won't offer the original version and only give us the reshot or edited version. That would suck. I don't oppose him reshooting them, as long as he gives us a choice and doesn't forces us to have to settle for the new version.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
For a DVD release of the OT, seamless branching could be used for the original version and the new prequel tie in version. This may be problematic for ANH though, as the most extensive changes were made for the Special Editions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks