What's new

Why does Universal only support HD-DVD? (1 Viewer)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
How happy do you think that will make the Japanese manufacturers who are already smarting from the loss of profits from DVD players due to the cheap Chinese products? I think if Toshiba wants HD-DVD to have any chance with the other major manufacturers then it has to keep the Chinese out atleast for the first few yrs. Thus if this news is true then it could be that this is Toshiba's last desperate attempt for HD-DVD to survive, since they have all but given up on the other major manufacturers ever supporting HD-DVD.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Good point, it may be Toshiba and discount Chinese brands are all we ever see as HD DVD hardware manufacturers. If Oppo or Helios enters the market with US distribution experience and service resources, it could be enough. Oppo particularly has an amazing ability to provide quality DVD players and customer service at a low price, no other company I am aware of has been able to do that, we get one or the other.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I found a refurbished HD-A1 for $235 delivered so I am in on that format as well now. I know it isn't the best player and refurbished comes with additional risks, but it has a short warranty so maybe I will get a good one or get any issues covered under warranty. What a nutcase I am.

Chris

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Sanjay wrote:

"......since they have all but given up on the other major manufacturers ever supporting HD-DVD."

This is awfully presumptuous.......

Are you certain of this? I have it on good faith that this is certainly NOT the case. I assure you that by this Christmas, the CE manufacturer support will be more balanced.

.........and I am not just talking about cheap chinese players, though a few of those are certainly in the works.

I wonder how long Pioneer & Panasonic will be able to keep those outrageous prices for Blu-ray only players when Universal players begin surfacing at those prices?

I guess we'll eventually discover how deep Panasonic and Pioneer's loyalty is to Sony.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The local Denon dealer said Denon is about to announce HD players.
DVD Pacific stated HD was selling more than BD recently.

Paul Beck

Agent
Having now read this thread, I have several questions.
1) according to the tone of some of the posts, does the poster actually own a HD player of either type?
2) do the posters own both types of HD players?
3) have the posters actually watched each format on the identical system and possibly watched a specific movie on both formats?
Currently I own the Toshiba XA2 and Samsung BDP1000 and have "Corpse Bride" and "Wicker Man" on bother formats.
I prefer to watch movies and judge on the ability of the format to provide the experience as best as is possible, so I base my opinion on what I see and hear with the system. My HDTV is an HP DLP 65" with 1080P native resolution. Until my Samsung BDP1200 arrives, I currently find HD-DVD more detailed when using the same movie. I also have several HD-DVDs from France, Germany and the UK which play on our players which Blu-ray does not since they are region-coded.
And a recent article showed that the PS3 is not selling as well as we have been told - more of the others are outselling it according to the latest stats.
There have been many errors that were avoided by the DVD which was lead by the DVD FORUM. Now that companies want to avoid the DVD Forum to use their own patents, etc., has brought this "war" about, I think.
At this time, saying one or the other format is to succeed is a little early.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

My personal conspiracy theory that has absolutely no basis in fact is based on the notion that Universal loves to double dip their customers. Any time they can milk them for more money they will. Look at all the American Pie, The Mummy, etc. releases over the years that have very little in the way of new content but somehow seem to have gotten multiple (3+) releases. The theory is that they saw HD-DVD would be the first out the door, knew that no other studio was going HD-DVD exclusive, and could rationalize that HD-DVD was more likely to fail thus allowing them to double dip all those who would now be forced into converting their HD-DVD collection over to BD. Thus the completely unfounded on any basis of fact Universal double dip conspiracy theory. :D

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I am quite sure Panasonic or Pioneer have no loyalty to Sony, rather what might be tested is their loyalty to a technology that they have bet on, after considerable deliberation I am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks