What's new

Why does the picture get blocky sometimes? (1 Viewer)

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
I have a new Samsung DLP http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/D...S5688WXXAA.asp

Sometimes on HD channels when the scenes are going fast the picture gets blocky. My tv claims to have a "new smooth engine" or something to prevent "screen door" appearance. Could this be because of my connection (blue jean HDMI cable) or my cable box? Or just my TV?

I guess my question is kind of vague...does this happen to anyone else? BTW it doesnt happen all the time and it never happens during sports games on HDTV or on my XBOX 360. Just in some movies from cable.

Thanks

Joe

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
"Blocky" picture can be from several sources, from what I've read.

One--a DVD player can have difficulty with prog scan output and with some displays can cause a "blocky" image.

Two--a TV with a poor scaler/deinterlacer

Three--a bad interconnect

Four--poor signal from the cable/sat provider (which sounds like your situation). A lot of compression goes on in the cable/sat world and it can cause pixelation in your image. Is your cable feed in hi-def? You might want to call the cable company and have them check the signal strength in your grid (my cable company is good about doing this when I've asked--plus my neighbour works for them so I get swift service :D ). If it's only happening on certain channels, rather than a specific source, I'm afraid you are the victim of a weak signal/poor compression system, in my opinion. A number of people more expert than me can offer more details and other possibilities.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys
Paul, you are mentioning it though not directly. ??
The main reason for a blocky image is lack of band width. What you are most likely seeing is MPEG2 artifacting.
regards

captaincrash

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas

So ...

... is MPEG2 Artification a function of the cable company or HDTV??? ... or something else?

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
It's likely a problem from the cable company. I get that even on an old tube set without a cable box attached at times. Seems to only happen occasionally on my HD set, fed from a cable box, on the lower (below 90) channels. Not often enough for my to warrant a hassle with the cable luddites though.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiwipip