Why does the 34" XBR 16:9 look so much sharper than the 40" XBR 4:3 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arthur S, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I realize the 34 does not have to create as large an image and all other things being equal smaller usually looks sharper. But is there more to it than that?

I guess I will have to make sure that the 40" is connected to an HD converter box next time I see them together.

Anything else that would explain why the 34 looks noticeably crisper and sharper?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Were you in a dealer's showroom? It's hard to make accurate comparisons in such a place. The KV-36XBR450 could possible look sharper than the KV-40XBR700 because, as you noted, a 36-incher's raster is by default more compressed. But all the reviews I have read exol the 40XBR700's amazing apparent resolution. Even the DRC is said to be improved. Overall, all things being equal, the 40-incher would inherently provide the greater resolution.

3. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

I saw the 40XBR700 the other day, and was completely floored by it. I did't even know it existed until I saw it at the store. It is a totally awesome TV. I'd have bought that TV in an instant if it was 1996 or 1997 or something instead of 2002. That's the kind of TV you buy and still have 20 years later. Too bad about its aspect ratio though.