Why does pop culture cost more than great culture?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dennis Nicholls, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I'm always amazed at how our society places dollar values on things.....

Tonight I had a great "score" at a used bookstore, getting two rare volumes that normally command ebay prices well over $100 each.

One is the long OOP Dan O'Neill "Collective Unconsciousness of Odd Bodkins". The other is a first (public) edition of T.E. Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" from 1935.

Odd Bodkins commanded exactly twice what the Lawrence book commanded: $20 vs. $10.

My nephew's fiancee has a Czech heritage and once told me she wanted to read up on the subject. When I found out she didn't know who Thomas Masaryk was, I got her a bio. of same and also found an actual Masaryk autograph on ebay - for $50. The autographs for mediocre pop stars and football players go for many times that much.

Browsing places like Amazon will reveal that classical CDs go for considerably less than pop music CDs.

Is it right for me to be so confused about this?

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Those are re-issues. Most new releases have a MSRP of $15.99-$17.99 (per disc).

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Seth, I would venture to guess that most CDs of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Greatful Dead, et al. are also "re-issues".

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

It's supply and demand, the things in greater demand will fetch higher prices.

And the general public's taste is primarily in its mouth, and it eats at MacDonald's anyway, so they want Elvis velvet whatevers.

Actually, with the Internet it is harder to find good prices on thngs like your books, because the Internet can link the customers of the obscure, and make it more likely the seller will find a determined buyer.

I'll have to look at the copy of Seven Pillars I came across last year [​IMG]

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Splitting hairs here guys.

The point that Dennis is trying to make is that it appears that society seems to value the fashionable fad rather than traditional, long-praised items/values/etc.

On Colin Quinn's Tough Crowd, the comedian Ellen Cleghorne touched on this very subject; stating that strippers make six figures whereas teachers make 20-30% of that. "See girls? Forget education, stripping will get you ahead in life". Actually I shouldn't quote that since I don't recall her exact words but it gets the point across.

This viewpoint is evident in many aspects of everyday life. I guess people get tired of the same old stuff but is it any reason to abandon the past and tradition?

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Well, yes. =) Why keep a tradition around that people place no value upon? Record that the tradition existed and then move on. Progress...

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

11. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Every classical collector has one or two conductors, soloists, orchestras, and works that they buy manically.

12. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

13. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Should a copy of a Rembrant cost less than a copy of a velvet-painted portrait of Elvis?

Depends what the buyer is willing to pay.

> On Colin Quinn's Tough Crowd, the comedian Ellen Cleghorne touched on this very subject; stating that strippers make six figures whereas teachers make 20-30% of that.

She's a comedian, not an economist, obviously. She might as well as why a DVD costs more than a happy meal, since everybody has to eat.

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not "worse" or "better," but far more richly complex, compelling, and, ultimately, long-lasting (i.e., timeless). In today's live-for-the-moment disposable pop culture, Respighi and Webern and Neilsen just aren't held in high esteem. But their music will be remembered and still played when today's pop-culture hot ticket isn't even a footnote in a history book.