Why does my wife hate rockets?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Bohlke, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

Way back in the day of Divas (remember those? [​IMG] )I decided on a speaker package and was getting excited about it. I showed my wife a picture of my speakers to be (knowing that she would fall in love with them). "I hate them" was all she said. Imagine my dismay when she forbade (is that a word?) me from getting them. My veneer vs laminate argument fell short. My bang for the buck speech also fell on deaf ears. There was no way she was going to have them in her house. Fast forward a couple of months when the even prettier even bigger bang for the buck Rockets came out. She had to cave this time, right? Well, I'm still Rocket-less. Why the heck is she the only one I've ever heard of not to like these??? She's an architect so it's not that she has no sense of style. Basic black, no frills. Nothing to call attention to themselves. That's what she wants. So now I must wait until the basic black Rockets come out--they are coming out, right???[​IMG] I know the soon to be Stratas are supposed to be available in black, but then there's that whole $ thing. "I don't see any reason to spend more than $1000 on a HT system..."
    Is anyone else in the same boat I am that can commiserate with me???

2. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Have you tried any bookshelf models against the WAF. Tend to to take up less space or at least less visually imposing.

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I really can't post any of the replies which came to mind after reading this...

Good luck,
    Martin.

4. Jonathan K

Jonathan K Stunt Coordinator

Basic Black, no frills, inexpensive?

Sounds like Axiom to me...

Why not post a picture of the room for everyone to see, so we can make suggestions? What does she think of Norh?

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

My wife had a similar responce (I wasn't really asking her for me, as I already had Natural Cherry B&W 804s), but just to ask what she thought. She didn't like the glossy red look.

imho, I got sick of black, I think Black is neutral, BUT it is black like components, and really not furnature. The wood stain colors are harder to match and are more personal, but when done right, I think they look better (btw, I use to ONLY buy black speakers b/c they wouldn't "clash" with anything, but I don't think that way anymore. The problem here is that the Rockets ONLY come in 1 color, and that really really limits themselves. I would guess that they should coe out with 2 more colors, FIRST-Black and next a more natural/non-red stain.

6. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Todd
    Ever stop to think maybe she does not want an HT system in the house?

That no matter what you bring to her, she will find some reason to reject the HT system you want so much?

Do you have an HT system now?
    If yes, does she enjoy watching a movie? Ever let her pick one out?
    If no, you may have to find some way to compromise. Maybe a smaller system in another room if available.

7. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

Todd,
    Michael is right. I've purchased alot of used audio stuff from various people around the bay area and to my disbelief there girlfriends and/or wifes do not enjoy there hobby simple because they're not apart of it. For example, One guy has a lazyboy in the middle of the room and his girlfriend has to sit on the side of the couch, he wouldn't even let me sit on the couch when I was going to buy his speakers.

8. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Be single like me and you can buy whatever you want. [​IMG]
    I have been there myself. Sometimes it's a tough chore with the WAF. I am embarrased to say that when I was married, it was Bose cubes or nothing.
    I went with the Bose to keep the peace and stay married. Needless to say, after 15 years, she kept the Bose, I left and now have Studio 100's.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Todd, has she seen them in-person?
    My wife had a negative reaction to pictures of the Divas - granted, these were the old-style with the lighter colored wood and the high, high-gloss finish. But when they arrived - darker wood/"satin" matte finish - she positively adored them. Her words "I love those speakers" (she was referring to aethetics and sound characteristics, but aesthetics were definitely a big part of her appreciation). When people say "pictures do not do them justice", you can believe it.
    So, if you have a chance, get her to see them in person. It might just change her mind. And it might help to bring along a CD of her favorite tunes! [​IMG]

10. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

11. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

The Tetra Series is Tetrahedron loudspeakers;

cool stuff

-rob

12. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Todd, may I send you some pictures from my HT via e-mail? I can do this from home...if you want me to send me an e-mail at [email protected]
    The pics on the Rocket site are not very good at portraying what they look like in your home...a *much* less shiny red look...they are a more subdued and elegant dark red..
    Check out my RS150 based bedroom system...
    AVS link...
    My 750s are darker than these...
    Sean

13. Michael Roderiques

I guess Todd did not like our answers.

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

She won't let him read this forum anymore?

If it comes between my wife and my HT I can always find another wife.

15. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I think Todd, the best thing is to sit down with her and work out the whole concept of an HT. There are some larger issues here and speakers are just a symptom of the larger issue. Being an architect, I can see where a sense of spatial organization is important to her. You may be looking at creating a separate space for an HT. I don't know if the finances or space considerations would allow this but for right now forget the speakers and concentrate on the issue of why she's so adamantly against it or why compromise doesn't work for her. Once the issue is addressed you should be able to work something out that is mutually satisfactory, but you need to go back to square one. The current situation isn't working and could lead to even more problems between the both of you.

16. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

17. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    Time to take her on a road trip to some good demo rooms. Get her more involved in your HT passion. If all else fails, it's easier to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission.

18. RandyKudor

RandyKudor Stunt Coordinator

Sean Parque,

I like your stands. What are they?

19. Michael Roderiques

An Odd thing on this board, you hear a lot of complaints about the spouse. While my wife has some quirks about the audio equipment, mostly the fact they have wires, she likes the system too. Uses them all the time, plays it louder than I do!
    I actually like my wife. [​IMG]

20. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit