Why does my sub almost bottom out during the DTS intro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Feb 8, 2002.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Hello all.
    I have always had some problems with my Mirage BPS 150i and it just came back fixed today. Even though it needs some breaking in it does sound better than it has in a long time. A very musical sub. But the problem is with the real lows. The real, real lows like on the DTS intro. It makes a horrible sound that is like the woofs are being too overdriven. They fixed the input level pot when it was in getting serviced and now the volume works but I'm back at square 1. Those deep lows, in time, like it has many times in the past will rip the voice coil from the driver and then the unmistakable thwack thwack will occur. I will be getting in touch with my dealer tommorrow and I'm sure he will rectify the problem.
    Does anybody else have this occur? I have heard the 150i's much bigger brother(BPS 400) and all is fine. Even the JBL PSW 1000 that we have here is ok using the same DTS intro.
    It is not under warranty for about 3 years now and my store, Audio Ark replaced 2 drivers, the volume pot and did the labor for nothing, knowing I had these problems. Quite nice of them. However, I think its just a matter of time till its fried again. And heaven forbid if I watch U-571 I'll have explosions of my own. [​IMG]
    Thanks for any input.

2. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

I know *EXACTLY* what you're talking about. I have a 200-Watt 12" powered sub, and *EVERYTIME* during that horrible DTS intro, it bottoms out!!! So, what I do now, is I "MUTE" my receiver whenever the DTS intro comes on, so that it doesn't happen anymore. My sub never bottoms out in movies (except for that one time in Fight Club), but that DTS intro in certainly TOO DEEP and TOO LOUD for the sub! I don't know why it does that though.

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You guys need to look into beefier subs. [​IMG]

4. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Michael, I used too own the bps-150i. It is a very musical sub. Probably because of the enclosed bi-polar design that it uses. But it had limitations. It only has 8 inch drivers which are very tight. The dts intro is tough for some BIG subs. Have you calibrated it to the proper volume using a rat shack meter? keeping in mind the correction values, if you have maybe you could db it to say 5 db lower then the other channels

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

What size rooms do you guys have? It could be a case of your room being too large which forces you to turn up the volume in attempt to fill up a room too large for your sub to fill. Play something like the new THX intro and you're asking for it.
    If your room isn't too large, then you may need to calibrate your sub properly.
    If that fails, then you may need to look for a new sub.
    If you'd like top notch performance without paying top notch dollar, You should check out this web-site:
    Acoustic Visions
    There service is out of this world and they use very high quality parts as well.
    Good Luck.

6. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Well the problem is the volume is alraedy turned down. It was at 2 on a scale of 10. I did some more experimenting with CD's that gave me problems in the past and it didn't really act up.

Thanks for all the help but I think John Tompkins said it best. Its very musical but unfortenetly has limitations.