Why does my second moniter have brutal colors now?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MikeH1, May 9, 2004.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I just picked up a LCD and have hooked up my old CRT moniter as my second. I have it hooked up using the adapter that came with the Geforce 4 Ti 4600 video card, its a DVI connection but has a "splitter" enabling you to either hook up a moniter digital or analog. So I have it hooked up VGA (analog).

It seems to work ok, desktop is there and I can drag programs to it. But the colors are way off, some serious reds and stuff. I have checked the moniter settings, video card color settings and xp settings. Drivers seem to be installed properly. I must be missing something...can anyone help?

EDIT: well I had my computer tech guru neighbor come by and it seems to be a faulty splitter and no "greens" are being displayed, perhaps from a bent pin or something. Bah, now I gotta go run and find a replacement. A splitter I never even used [​IMG]

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Well it wasn't the splitter after all. I picked up a new one and the lack of any green is still there. Back to square one.....can anyone help? [​IMG]

I can think of two things: Perhaps my video cards DVI connector is faulty or maybe it has something to do with the color managment tab in XP when you click desktop--->properties--->settings--->advanced--->colour management tab.

3. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Try to plug in each monitor individually.. see if the problem exists when you only have one monitor hooked up.

Also make sure you have no magnets/unshielded speakers etc next to your monitors, that can cause discoloration. Typically though the discoloration is only on one portion of the screen.

Try that out and let us know what happens..

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmmm. I recall that there are in fact two different DVI connections. They use the same plug, but the signalling is different.

Are you using the DVI plug on your LCD? Or is the LCD analog only?

Even if you do fix this problem, you will find that LCD monitor colors tend to be way off compared to CRT monitors. And there is usually no way to fix it either.

5. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Johan, I hooked up the different moniters to the different jacks....they both work fine when plugged into the analog one. It's starting to look like its the DVI plug within' the video card, since the new splitter didnt solve it.

Max, the LCD is analog only. For my uses (gaming) I think (and hope) it will suffice. But this brings forth another question....is it highly recomended to get a LCD moniter with a DVI input? Since my video cards DVI plug is looking like the problem, I wouldn't be able to hook it up that way. Regardless though, I wonder if I should go with one that has DVI, although it will cost me $100.00 - $200.00 more.

BTW Battlefield 1942 and especially Vietnam has never looked sweeter [​IMG]

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

There is another possibility...try going through the LCD monitor's menus and see if there is a setting for some kind of video voltage input. My CRT will go too blue if I choose a different signal input method/voltage. Or whatever it is called. It could be something as simple as that...

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Thanks for the suggestion but there isn't a selection of that type in the moniters menu. I just thought of something though, perhaps its my video card's drivers?

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Oh...maybe the plug-and-play monitor thingy is misdetecting your LCD monitor? Although, I have never seen a video card driver adjust colors based on a monitor profile before. Hmmm. Are you using any monitor calibration software? Something like Adobe Gamma could be messing it up (it could be using a color profile you had set up for your CRT, which would look wrong on the LCD).

If you plug the video card into your regular CRT monitor instead of the LCD monitor, will the colors be messed up on the CRT? Or only the LCD monitor? If the latter, it would seem to be a problem with the monitor.

9. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

bah I got bigger problems now than just the green in my second moniter. Seems in my install of different drivers for the video card (something I have done a dozen times), I ran a third party program that was supposed to elimintate any potential conflicts between the old drivers and the new.

Now windows can't install drivers because my video card registry is whacked. Where's that damn sledgehammer? Withdrawl of Battlefield is setting in.....

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Uninstall your video drivers (if such an option exists), then reinstall the official drivers. Don't use 3rd party drivers or driver utilities. Rule of thumb: If there is no forum for users to bitch about the utility, DO NOT USE IT. These utilities go obsolete all the time...a forum dedicated to it will at least let you know if the users still find it relevant.

If you are running Windows XP, do a System Restore first, that should help...

11. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I had checked out the 3rd party driver remover first at guru3d.com. One of the few websites I trust. It might have been my process of reinstalling the drivers/driver cleaner 2 that messed things up. Good news now is that its all fixed, seems the Windows XP repair I did last night actually worked.

As for the intital problem of too much green in my 2nd moniter, the CRT hooked up via DVI with a splitter, I'll live with the green. I just use it for teamspeak to see who's in the channel while I'm playing the game on the primary LCD so its no biggie. And I turned off system restore way back since I read it can be "a hog", but will be turning it back on.

Thanks Max for helping me troubleshoot [​IMG]